Hukilau Sails the Sound

Extra Lily

10 July 2017
Yesterday, July 9), Lily, Patti and I went for an afternoon sail. Lily had lunch with Christy, Katy and Julia, then we left for the boat and got there around 4 or 4:30. It was breezy, maybe a 12 knot wind; with the tide going out, it was choppy in the river and in the harbor.

Before leaving the dock, I decided to leave the reef in the main; after getting past the Mermaids, I decided to try rolling out only the genny to make sure that the ladies were comfortable. So we rolled out about a working jib slice of genny and sailed south into the Sound.

It was still a bit choppy out in the Sound (1-3 ft waves), but not quite as breezy. We tooled along, headiing almost directly south toward the Reef marker at 3.5-4.5 knots. Patti looked a little uncomfortable in the chop, but was game. Lily was enjoying herself in the sunshine, warm temps and nice breeze until she started feeling a bit seasick after about 15 minutes.

So we turned on the engine (I hadn't even raised it out of the water) and headed back in. The plan had been to sail for a bit, then anchor and swim (Lily and I had our suits on; Patti had her's with her). But Lily decided she didn't really want to go in to the water at that point. And since it was a bit choppy in the harbor too, we just decided to go back to the dock.

We docked, and then went to Lenny's for dinner. Lily got a hot lobster roll (without the roll of course), Patti had scallops, and I had stuffed shrimp. Then back home, with Lily going back to DC this morning (sad....).

Need to fill the gas tank!
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.