Hukilau Sails the Sound

Father's Day

19 June 2012
These past few days (since last Thursday, June 14), the weather has been magnificent, and on Father's Day, June 17, we all went out for a sail. The temperature was lower was than it has been, with the thermometer topping out in the low 70's, with some clouds in the sky. There was no humidity, and it was beautiful.

We packed a lunch, and left the dock at about 11. In deference to the family, we decided to only unfurl the genny to minimize healing. We set sail in the harbor, and headed out towards the Cow and Calf. The winds were blowing much more than the 9 knt max predicted by SailFlow. It was blowing at least twelve, and maybe higher, from the southeast. With the tide ebbing directly against the wind, the seas were lumpy with some whitecaps. After sailing at about 5.5 knots, Patti asked if it was going to calm down as she was getting a bit nauseous. We immediately turned around and headed in to pick up a mooring. Ironically, Dan (who always used to get sick easily) was enjoying the rough ride.

We picked up a mooring easily; the field was mostly empty. We had a great lunch, relaxed, read and talked for a couple of hours. Then back to the dock and off to Mom and Dad's. A great Father's Day.

Note: one of my gifts was new "Welcome Aboard" mat. Looks great on the dock. I also finally mounted a "Welcome" key board and lighthouse thermometer on the bulkheads. Patti had bought them for me years ago, and they basically sat on the shelf in the boat for years. I finally remembered to buy double sided picture mounting tape, and I stuck it in the boat bag. I did the mounting while we were moored.

Double Note: Patti, Lily and I spent the prior weekend in Maine. We did a day sail on the John Alden-designed schooner Bagheera (built 1924). Wow. Just beautiful. Gaff-rigged, all wood, all gorgeous. I helped raise the main, and I took a trick at the wheel. Nothin' better.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.