Hukilau Sails the Sound

We're back

30 June 2013
We got back from Europe last Sunday/Monday, and I was dying to get a sail in. We had been gone for over two weeks, and I hadn't been able to get to the boat for at least a week before we left.

I went to the boat on Tuesday evening after work. It was hot, sunny and humid when I left the office. By the time I got to Branford, the temp had dropped at least ten degrees, it was really windy, and there were black storm clouds approaching. Damn. A power boat came in to the dock while I was on Hukilau, and told me it looked even worse out there. Damn. I putzed around on the boat for about an hour (still a good time), then decided to pack it in. As I walked to the car, the sun came out. Damn.

We made plans with Diane to go sailing with her on Sunday (today). But I also sneaked over to the boat yesterday (Saturday), and took her out. The trees were bending in the breeze, and the flags were snapping. I thought I would put a reef in at the dock before heading out; but the breeze was much milder at the shore and I decided to go for it. I headed out and raised sail just past the Mermaids (NB: my new chartplotter does not display tide info!). Winds were actually a bit light. I sailed almost due south towards the Reef. According to the chartplotter, I was making about 3.5 knots SOG. I kept on my course, eventually overtaken by two Catalina's behind me: a 38 and a 30. The 38 passed me, but I ran neck and neck with the 30 for quite some time. I was windward of him and our courses were parallel. At times, we got as close as maybe 40 feet from each other. Eventually, he beared off to leeward, and after I passed the Reef marker, I decided I'd better think about turning back (we had to be at Pete's retirement party by 6:30). I turned west to make a beam reach of it, but the winds were dying. After a few minutes, it became clear that the only way I was going to get back was by running downwind. In that heat and humidity, with the winds that light, it was an uncomfortable situation at best. After only a few minutues of that, I fired up the engine and motored back.

Docking was uneventful. I also test fit my new hatch boards. I shaved off a bit from the top board in the morning before I left, and was anxious to see if that would do it. Not quite, although if I plan for a bit of a seal/buffer between the two boards, they do fit. I think I'll shave it down a bit more though. I also bought some paint for them at Hines. My idea to seal the edges with epoxy then spray paint was nixed by the paint expert. His advice: don't bother to seal the edges; just use a good quality outdoor paint and brush or roll it on. Score.

And finally, we didn't get to go out sailing with Diane today. Lily wasn't feeling well, the skies looked threatening (although it never rained here today), and we decided to postpone.

Paul and Lisa are coming for the 4th; the plan is to meet them at the boat and do a sail, then have them come back and they will stay over. Sounds like a good 4th to me!
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.