Hukilau Sails the Sound

Take it while you can

21 September 2013
Today, I had to get Lily and her friend Clarity over to East Haven High by 7:45 so they could take the ACT. Once I dropped them off, I headed for the boat. It didn't look like there was any wind; the flags were limp and the tree branches weren't moving. I was armed with several magazines. I stopped at the Twin Pines for breakfast, then off to Hukilau. I figured that the worst that would happen would be that I would hang on the boat reading as long as the rain held off.

When I got to the docks, there was a nice breeze blowing. I headed out under mostly cloudy skies, temps in the low 70's. I left the dock at 9, and the sailing was great. Winds were from the southeast. I tried to sail due south, but I couldn't weather the point, so I tacked back between Taunton and Blyn Rocks, then west. I tacked back and forth a few times, but made significant westing, almost to Lighthouse point. There were more boats out than I expected, but most seemed to be out fishing; only a few sailboats. I hit 5.7 knots a few times, and mostly sailed between 4 and 5 the entire time. I headed back so I could pick the girls up by 1. I was back at the dock by 11:15, and on my way at 12:15. In between, I prettied up the boat and read.

I haven't had a chance to go out for awhile; a couple of weeks ago, Patti and I sat at the dock and relaxed as it was very windy and I was having a back spasm and she refused to allow me to sail. Still, that was a nice thing. But it seems we are rapidly running out of days. Next week is Ben's bar mitzvah, then who knows if we'll get another chance to sail before Parent's weekend at Maryland.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.