Hukilau Sails the Sound

First but Not a Lot

03 June 2014
So when I went back to the marina, they had fixed the shroud. Unfortunately, the tape they used to secure the boot was almost completely unravelled. I had a big telltale. So I couldn't go out for a quick sail. I called the marina and left a message. I saw that they had launched Berci, who was on the opposite dock, with no sails or boom up yet. I called across to him and we chatted a bit. Then I went over to say goodbye as he was leaving in the morning for his new dock in New London. He had a beer waiting for me, and we talked about sailing, kids and whatnot for about twenty minutes. We said our farewells. I hope I see him again.

I had a chance to get out today after work, and even though our Deputies call lasted until 5:50 (new time of Tuesdays, 3:30-5), I decided to give it a try. Patti said to make sure to bring plenty of water because it was a scorcher in the 80's. I saw that the trees were blowing, but it didn't look too strong.

At the marina, I saw that they had fixed the tape, and I was ready to go! My neighbors in Petrel (the fishing boat) were there fixing up the boat. Phil (the younger guy who I rarely see) and the older guy with the hat (whose name I forget) said they would see me out there. It was definitely blowing hard, and blowing from the opposite direction we usually see, this time from the east. This meant the wind was blowing my bow into the dock instead of its usual away. I thought about not going out, but figured I'd give it a try. So I didn't take the main cover off, figuring I'd just roll out the genny.

In the harbor the winds seem to abate a bit, but once past the Mermaids, they picked right up. There were some white caps in the outer harbor. I unrolled the genny, and right away I was sailing at over five knots, sometimes hitting six for a brief moment. I was having trouble holding course, and I was taking the occasional wave over the port bow. As I approached the entrance to the Sound proper, I realized the wind was picking up even more. I was about to dial back on the amount of sail showing, when I glanced to starboard. It was getting dark. Real dark, real fast. Big, dark clouds were moving in fast from the west. Interesting, because the surface winds were from the east. Nevertheless, they were definitely coming. I turned around, started the engine, and rolled up the sail. With all of the sails in, I was still heeling at almost ten degrees. Too much wind.

Fortunately, Petrel's crew was still at the dock. They had wisely decided they weren't going out. They kept Hukilau from ramming the dock and were a great assistance. I put the boat away and drove home. By the time I hit 91, it was raining. I beat the rain to Cheshire, but not by much. So I maybe had the sails up for 10 minutes. Not much. But at least it's a start.

I have to rerun the port jib sheet; it's hitting the lifeline.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.