Hukilau Sails the Sound

A Beautiful Weekend!

24 June 2014
On Saturday, Patti and I went to Blue Shutters Beach. It was a magnificent day, bright sunshine, low humidity and temps in the mid 70's. At the beach, there was a nice breeze, so it actually got a little cool! I had to wear a sweatshirt, and didn't need the umbrella. We were at the beach from 10:30 to about 4, then went to Watch Hill and walked around. I bought a new sweatshirt! Then to the ferry in New London to pick up Lily from her trip to visit her friend Alex in Southold on LI. Dinner at Boom in Westbrook.

On Sunday, Patti and I went sailing. We got to the boat about 1:30 and sailed for a couple of hours. We went west, almost to the New Haven harbor breakwater before turning around. Conditions were very mild. The weather was again magnificent, with a few more clouds than the day before. The wind was light, but I kept the reef in the sail for Patti's sake. We sailed at 3-4 knots most of the time, with almost no heeling. Patti was delighted. On the way out, we saw Ross on his boat going upriver. We said a quick hello as we were going down river and I didn't recognize him until we were almost past him.

We furled sail outside the harbor as the wind was coming from dead upriver. As we motored in the harbor, Ross was shooting out. He recognized us and turned around. We had a quick talk with him. He had Ryan F. aboard, who neither of us recognized! They had come from Milford to have lunch at the Lobster Shack and were on their way back.

Back at the dock, we both relaxed and read for awhile before heading home. Another beautiful day.

Note: I went to use my binoculars, and couldn't find them. Turns out that they and my 1st Aid Kit were still in the basement. They are both now in the boat bag, waiting to be returned to their proper home. I took the opportunity to restock the 1st aid kit with unexpired stuff (some of the ointments in the kit had late '90's expiration dates).

On an even stranger note, the Welcome Aboard mat is back! I can't remember if I noted it in the last entry, but Patti noticed last week that the welcome mat was gone from the dock. I called the marina and left a message for them, letting them know. I didn't expect or get a call back. However, when we went to the boat on Sunday, the mat was back. Too weird.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.