Hukilau Sails the Sound

Another Lesson

04 August 2015
On Saturday August 1, we did an afternoon/evening sail with Diane and David, this time with Patti. We met them at the boat at about 3:30. The day was noticeably less humid than it had been, with lots of sun. However, there was a big, ugly patch of clouds that was approaching as we got to the marina. According to the weather, it was a patch of severe thunderstorms that was making its way east at 30 mph. It looked to me as if it would pass north of us, so we decided to wait twenty minutes or so to see what it did. Lucklily, it passed north of us, and we were on our way by 4.

The wind was nice; not too strong and we raised sail outside of the harbor, then set a course for the southeast. David raised the main sail (and mixed us a pretty strong Madras drinks). We rolled out the full genny too. The sailing was wonderful. We just kept going, well past the Reef. Interspersed with our general conversation, there was some sailing instruction given. Diane steered most of the way out and back in. I only took the tiller back from Diane or David when we got a big gust near shore and we had to roll up some of the genny. We were all enjoying the sail so much that we prolonged our trip back in to take advantage of the conditions.

We did have reservations at Nellie Green's at 7, so we headed back in time to make them. A quick change into a Hawaiian shirt, and then off to dinner. We both had to get back to the dogs, so we didn't stay out too late.

A great day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.