Huzzah Cruising the Northwest

09 August 2018
01 August 2018
27 July 2018
25 July 2018 | Gorge Harbour, BC
20 July 2018 | Prideaux Haven
19 July 2018 | Desolation Sound
18 July 2018 | Desolation Sound
17 July 2018 | Squirrel Cove, BC
12 July 2018
09 July 2018
06 July 2018
25 August 2017 | Roscoe Bay
24 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, Desolation Sound
21 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, BC
20 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, BC
22 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest
20 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest
18 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest

Roaming around SF Bay

19 September 2015 | San Pablo Bay
To us Pacific Northwest cruisers, the Bay is a different experience! First, the water is very thin here - most areas suitable for anchoring are less that 15 feet deep. That's not to say that the recommended "anchorages" are well protected. Most "Coves" have little or no significant indentation, and are thus exposed to the considerable vessel traffic and their wake. So we've learned to sleep on a rolling boat that can be prone to "fanny slap", the term sailors use to describe the sound of waves hitting the transom. Sometimes, the current or wind orientatates the boat with the transom to the Ferry boat or wind waves, causing the waves to hit the boat with enough force to shake the whole boat. We have adapted, and Jody is gaining her sea legs very quickly.

The weather is very nice at the moment, and we are enjoying that a lot. Last night we had a bit of forest fire smoke at dusk which reminded us how lucky we are to be here. We are currently anchored off McNears Beach/China Camp in San Pablo Bay. We sailed here from Paridise Cove (which wasn't) with favorable current and wind. In fact we sailed on and off the anchor, and we don't need the engine for now. Our solar systems and Lithium batteries provide us with more energy than we can use. Even with the espresso machine, TV etc.

The gravel pit operations a half mile up the shore is closed for the weekend, so no dust or machinery rumble today. We are anchored amongst three other boats here. Two are delapitated live-aboards, with missing cabin windows, torn sails and a bicycle partially hanging in the water. Very interesting people I'm sure.

Lot's of boat projects on the list for today, so signing off for now....
Cheers!
Comments
Vessel Name: Huzzah
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 45.2 built in '99 for the BVI Charter fleet. Purchased in 2011 in Seattle, and began an extensive re-fit.
Hailing Port: Gig Harbor, WA
Crew: Gerry & Jody Gilbert
About: Retired professionals living the dream. Gerry & friends do the ocean passages, wife Jody & the kids fly in for the cruising. Departed the PNW for Mexico & So. Pacific September 2015, Returned to Gig Harbor July 2017 .
Extra:
Huzzah \(ˌ)hə-ˈzä\ : an exclamation of joy, applause, appreciation — or shout of acclaim. Huzzah may be categorized with such interjections as hoorah and hooray. According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), in the 17th and 18th centuries it was identified as a sailor's cheer or [...]
Social:
Huzzah's Photos - Main
A pictorial view of our cruising adventures
38 Photos
Created 8 July 2016
Sailing & Projects 2011 thru 2015
19 Photos
Created 29 August 2015