Huzzah Cruising the Northwest

09 August 2018
01 August 2018
27 July 2018
25 July 2018 | Gorge Harbour, BC
20 July 2018 | Prideaux Haven
19 July 2018 | Desolation Sound
18 July 2018 | Desolation Sound
17 July 2018 | Squirrel Cove, BC
12 July 2018
09 July 2018
06 July 2018
25 August 2017 | Roscoe Bay
24 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, Desolation Sound
21 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, BC
20 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, BC
22 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest
20 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest
18 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest

Experiencing Cabo

08 November 2015
After finishing and motoring into Cabo (aka Condo San Lucas) bay, we anchored briefly outside the marina awaiting for our slip assignment. Pretty cool to watch your anchor dig into the sand in 25 feet of crystal clear water. Sure enough, once Don and Ken had jumped in for a swim, the VHF call came with our slip assignment. The good news was that rates were down this year, to only $2/ft USD. So, we took our spot at the head of the dock with all the big sport fishing yachts, right next to access gate to the cantinas and the tourist walkway around the marina district. It was a convenient location, but the noise and traffic was not good. The only fun part of being on that dock was social, as the crews from the other Ha-Ha boats walked by they would often cheer "HUZZAH!, HUZZAH!". That was always fun.
But we had business to get done. Since Don & Rosalie are Mexican residents and had an early departure the following morning, we walked into town to the immigration office rather than pay the dock agent. You save $70 a boat, and don't have to surrender your passports to the agent for a day. So we walked 5 blocks to get our TIP and FMM's stamped, in exchange for out 180 day tourist visas. The agents couldn't be nicer, so it's the way to go IMHO.
After a sweltering night aboard Huzzah, I started plotting a plan to get out of this town ASAP. I much prefer to be at anchor, but a "Norther" weather system was dictating our departure so patience (not my strength) was in order. So we stayed two more nights, and enjoyed to town. Yet another Ha-Ha party on the beach, and all the activities started to blur together. On Saturday, our final night, was the Ha-Ha awards ceremony. A low key event held in a parking lot behind the marine with folding chairs and free cans of beer. The event is emceed by the Grand Poohbah, and it's all about reflecting on the journey and having fun. In fact, you can't place worse than third, so there's no losers. That works for a rally like this, and everyone seems to have fun. After the "ceremony" we went to a craft brewery we discovered with our new friends Mike & Judy Sawyer from the Island Packet "Honu". What a great way to cap off our stay in Cabo.
Comments
Vessel Name: Huzzah
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 45.2 built in '99 for the BVI Charter fleet. Purchased in 2011 in Seattle, and began an extensive re-fit.
Hailing Port: Gig Harbor, WA
Crew: Gerry & Jody Gilbert
About: Retired professionals living the dream. Gerry & friends do the ocean passages, wife Jody & the kids fly in for the cruising. Departed the PNW for Mexico & So. Pacific September 2015, Returned to Gig Harbor July 2017 .
Extra:
Huzzah \(ˌ)hə-ˈzä\ : an exclamation of joy, applause, appreciation — or shout of acclaim. Huzzah may be categorized with such interjections as hoorah and hooray. According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), in the 17th and 18th centuries it was identified as a sailor's cheer or [...]
Social:
Huzzah's Photos - Main
A pictorial view of our cruising adventures
38 Photos
Created 8 July 2016
Sailing & Projects 2011 thru 2015
19 Photos
Created 29 August 2015