Huzzah Cruising the Northwest

09 August 2018
01 August 2018
27 July 2018
25 July 2018 | Gorge Harbour, BC
20 July 2018 | Prideaux Haven
19 July 2018 | Desolation Sound
18 July 2018 | Desolation Sound
17 July 2018 | Squirrel Cove, BC
12 July 2018
09 July 2018
06 July 2018
25 August 2017 | Roscoe Bay
24 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, Desolation Sound
21 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, BC
20 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, BC
22 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest
20 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest
18 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest

Home for the Holidays

20 November 2015
With Huzzah securely moored at Marina Palmira, it was time to fly home to be with family. I was excited to see how much our grandsons’ had grown in the months since I saw them last August, but sad to go at the same time. I felt okay leaving Huzzah, as she would be under the watchful eye of Tom Brown (La Paz Cruisers Supply). Tom and his wife Jeanne sailed to La Paz years’ ago from Des Moines, WA aboard their Freeport Islander 36, and never left. And while that’s not unusual, starting a business to help other cruisers has made them the “go to” folks for everything. Most importantly, they are the nicest people you’ll ever meet and super-helpful. They are the sole reason we went to this marina. And, not only do they help cruisers, they have active charities that benefit the local people. We know of one charity that provides food & shelter assistance. Very cool people!
Since the major airport is ~110 miles South of La Paz (San Jose Del Cabo), we needed to catch a taxi into town, then take a 7 passenger van to the airport. The vans are nice, so the 2.5+ hour trip is not a hardship. They even have WiFi if motion sickness doesn’t affect you. Jody did fine in the front seat with meds (she’s been such a trooper), as the road winds through mountains. The price is about $35 pp. All the passengers on our trip were US & Canadian ex-pats going home like us.
We arrived at the airport hours before our flight, and was surprised to find only minor scars from the fury of Hurricane Odile, which came through in September 14, 2014. We had a nice lunch (BTW, Jody loved her Carl’s Jr. burger), boarded a new Alaska 737, and had a smooth flight home.
Comments
Vessel Name: Huzzah
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 45.2 built in '99 for the BVI Charter fleet. Purchased in 2011 in Seattle, and began an extensive re-fit.
Hailing Port: Gig Harbor, WA
Crew: Gerry & Jody Gilbert
About: Retired professionals living the dream. Gerry & friends do the ocean passages, wife Jody & the kids fly in for the cruising. Departed the PNW for Mexico & So. Pacific September 2015, Returned to Gig Harbor July 2017 .
Extra:
Huzzah \(ˌ)hə-ˈzä\ : an exclamation of joy, applause, appreciation — or shout of acclaim. Huzzah may be categorized with such interjections as hoorah and hooray. According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), in the 17th and 18th centuries it was identified as a sailor's cheer or [...]
Social:
Huzzah's Photos - Main
A pictorial view of our cruising adventures
38 Photos
Created 8 July 2016
Sailing & Projects 2011 thru 2015
19 Photos
Created 29 August 2015