Huzzah Cruising the Northwest

09 August 2018
01 August 2018
27 July 2018
25 July 2018 | Gorge Harbour, BC
20 July 2018 | Prideaux Haven
19 July 2018 | Desolation Sound
18 July 2018 | Desolation Sound
17 July 2018 | Squirrel Cove, BC
12 July 2018
09 July 2018
06 July 2018
25 August 2017 | Roscoe Bay
24 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, Desolation Sound
21 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, BC
20 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, BC
22 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest
20 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest
18 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest

Now what!

19 March 2016 | Puerto Los Cabos
It was a great feeling to finally depart, with a fresh breeze and high expectations about the voyage ahead. But as night approached and we turned on our radar as usual, a problem became evident. The radar didn't work. I know one should never assume that a piece of marine electronics will work when you switch it on (just because it did the last time you used it), but I neglected to check it prior to departure and was now wondering what the hell the problem was! So I began to think back to see what had changed since we pulled into La Paz months ago. Did I disturb a loose wire, or was it a problem with the chart plotter software update done the week prior??
Then it came to me. I had hired a stainless steel fabricator named Sergio to modify my push pit railings, and his workers were climbing in the compartments the radar cable occupied. So, during my midnight watch, I began to trace the wires and quickly identified the problem! The radar cable was severely pinched where it exits the radar mast. Then I recalled seeing the SS radar tower tilting back off the transom ~25 degrees as the workers installed the new rails, held by a rope tied to the port wheel. The workers had apparently leaned the radar mast back so far they unknowingly severed half the wires in the radar cable! The pictures tell the story.
(They also bent my outboard motor lift, but that's another story).
The impact of this sloppy workmanship will cost us six days of delay, and $800 in moorage, parts and shipping. So, we're now stuck in San Jose Del Cabo (which is okay, but not as nice as La Paz IMHO) waiting for a replacement cable which will take 6 days to arrive here in Mexico, with a little luck.
HUGE kudos to Rich Boren at Cruiser RO Water in California! I purchased a refrigeration system from Rich at the Seattle Boat show years' ago, and he's been helping me with almost everything technical since! This time, Rich is helping by receiving and expediting the parts into Mexico for me. Rich always answers his phone and is a wealth of marine information. Do business with Rich - you won't be disappointed!!
So, the three amigos are chilling out waiting for parts in paradise. But we would rather be sailing!
Comments
Vessel Name: Huzzah
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 45.2 built in '99 for the BVI Charter fleet. Purchased in 2011 in Seattle, and began an extensive re-fit.
Hailing Port: Gig Harbor, WA
Crew: Gerry & Jody Gilbert
About: Retired professionals living the dream. Gerry & friends do the ocean passages, wife Jody & the kids fly in for the cruising. Departed the PNW for Mexico & So. Pacific September 2015, Returned to Gig Harbor July 2017 .
Extra:
Huzzah \(ˌ)hə-ˈzä\ : an exclamation of joy, applause, appreciation — or shout of acclaim. Huzzah may be categorized with such interjections as hoorah and hooray. According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), in the 17th and 18th centuries it was identified as a sailor's cheer or [...]
Social:
Huzzah's Photos - Main
A pictorial view of our cruising adventures
38 Photos
Created 8 July 2016
Sailing & Projects 2011 thru 2015
19 Photos
Created 29 August 2015