IATO

25 January 2010 | Fort Pierce FL
26 April 2009 | Leeward Islands
11 April 2009 | St Barts
11 April 2009 | St. Barts
14 March 2009 | leeward Islands
12 March 2009 | Leeward Islands
07 February 2009 | St Thomas
20 January 2009 | St. Thomas USVI
06 January 2009 | Luperon
11 December 2008 | Luperon
24 November 2008 | In the Exumas Bahamas
15 October 2008 | Near Jeckyl Island
06 September 2008 | NYC, Long Island, CT and MA
18 May 2008 | Cape Canaveral Florida
17 April 2008 | Durban and Cape Town
13 February 2008 | West Palm Beach, Florida
25 November 2007 | Grand Bahamas Island
20 November 2007 | Grand bahamas Island
20 November 2007 | West Palm Beach, FL

Cumberland Island Georgia

25 May 2008
Rick
It's much easier to write blogs when you are on the move. The weather window for us to sail outside to St. Simons Island Georgia did not happen so we started up the ICW to meet Linda's good friend Holly. Linda has known and stayed in touch with Holly since college. She's a ball to hang out with and has a neat job. Holly is the Director for the Environmental Learning Center in Sebastian Florida. On the last night there we went to a comedy show at the theatre. The guy was a hypnotist and great at that. What a ball.

Since we have left the Sebastian area we have made a lot of distance. We day sailed in the ICW to the Ponce Inlet just north of Cape Canaveral. The next day we headed outside for a great day of sailing. Just as were leaving the inlet we were boarded by the Poop Squad. They came aboard and headed to the toilets with dye. After putting in the dye they pumped the toilets to see if we were pumping waste into the water and not into our holding tanks. We passed that test but failed the test of having our Y valve locked or tied shut. $63.00 dollars later we were on our way.

The first half of the trip was great. We had 15 knot winds and sailed at about 8 knots on a smooth sea. It was a nine hour trip and about 2 hours from St Augustine the wind and seas really picked up. We had over 30 knot winds. We had out running rigging up and all of a sudden one of the blocks exploded. We quickly turned the boat into the wind and took down the sails then motored the last 9 miles into St. Augustine. We took a rest day in St. Augustine, well anyway a non sailing day. In St. Augustine we met a couple (terri and Jeffrey Zuckerman) who were leaving the next day for Cumberland Island Georgia. They told us it was a "don't miss place" so we changed our plans and sailed with them the next day to Cumberland Island. It took 9 hours because the wind was so light.

Cumberland Island is a great place. I think one of my favorite so far. The island is about 85 percent protected. It is pristine, interesting having a beautiful 10 mile long beach. We took a 2 � hour walk today and saw wild horses, turkeys and armadillo. The ruins of the Carnegie mansion and plantation are on the island. Built in the mid 1880's and burned down in 1956. They are currently working on rebuilding it.

We hate to leave this place but must move on. Tomorrow we are going 27 miles north to Jekyll Island for a couple of days. Make sure you look at the Cumberland Island photo gallery attached.
Comments
Vessel Name: IATO
Vessel Make/Model: 40' Manta Catamaran
Hailing Port: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Crew: Rick and Linda Wilson
About: We recently retired and are setting out to fulfill our dreams. We hope to cruise to new places and new worlds.

Who: Rick and Linda Wilson
Port: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida