J-40 Chinook Adventures

Traveling South 2012 -- We're heading south in search of great sailing, interesting places, warmer weather, and new and old friends.

28 April 2013 | Warehouse Creek
16 April 2013 | Currituck Sound, NC
12 April 2013 | Southport, NC
11 April 2013 | Fernandina Beach to Charleston
03 April 2013 | Lake Worth Inlet
28 March 2013 | South Beach, FL
21 March 2013 | Miami, FL
03 February 2013 | Middle Keys -- Boot Key Harbor
09 January 2013 | Venetian Causeway/Belle Isle
29 December 2012 | Stuart, FL
29 December 2012 | Titusville to Vero Beach
19 December 2012 | Northern Florida
07 December 2012 | St. George River
07 December 2012 | Brunswick, Ga
03 December 2012 | Miami
25 November 2012 | Skull Creek, SC to Brunswick, GA
19 November 2012 | Atlantic Ocean - Nov. 12, 2012
15 November 2012 | Cooper River, Charleston
15 November 2012 | Moorhead City, NC
05 November 2012 | Wrightsville Beach NC

Progress South

29 December 2012 | Titusville to Vero Beach
Statute Miles 878-952
Sunday we did the long haul down the Indian River and into the Haul-over Canal, Mike's most unfavorite part of the ICW. This stretch maybe isn't so exciting for us, but it looks like a great place to be if you're a fishing person. With it being Sunday a lot of people were out and about – many boats anchored in gunk-holes and marsh grass looking relaxed as they waited for that perfect fish to bite. We arrived in Titusville in time to fuel and water up and make use of the new mooring field. It was early enough that we enjoyed some down time. We were treated to a beautiful sunset.

Next morning another fog bank! But we were able to wait it out and be on our way by 9 am, still plenty of time to make our next stop somewhere around Melbourne. We made it to the Eau Gallie Bridge and dropped an anchor just north of the bridge in a huge anchorage. We quickly put up the enclosure again as rain was falling on us as we worked. Both tired, we relaxed the afternoon away and didn't last long after dinner.

We made it to Vero Beach on Tuesday by 12:30, watching radar all the way and dodging storms. The highlight of the day was the manatee sighting. Manatees are protected and there are postings everywhere along the ICW warning of their presence and boaters' responsibilities. We've seen them in marinas, but never in the wild so it was interesting to note that they are really out and about. Once in the Vero Beach basin we were pleased to find room on the mooring with Chanticleer, our traveling friends who left us in Brunswick. In this particular mooring field 3 boats can tie up to one ball. It's a great way to meet people and share cocktails. Our first activity on Wednesday was to find a walk-in clinic and get some answers to Mike's knee problem. His tendonitis from working on the boat before we left home had turned into a full-blown worry for both of us. The great free bus in Vero took us directly to an excellent walk-in clinic where he had an x-ray done and we got some answers – severely sprained knee but nothing serious. Whew! The doctor prescribed a sturdy knee brace and lots of Aleve and ice. From that point on, things in the knee department started looking up.

Still anxious to get to Miami before Christmas, we didn't stay as long in Vero Beach as we like to, but we squeezed in some quality playing – the Saturday Farmers Market, a very fun knitting shop, happy hour with other cruisers, and dinner with a crowd of cruisers (a time to share stories) at the Riverside Restaurant, a favorite in Vero. Weather was good and we still had time to get to Miami, so we headed south again on Sunday – Chanticleer traveled with us once again.
Comments
Vessel Name: Chinook
Vessel Make/Model: J-40
Hailing Port: Reedville, VA
Crew: Polli and Mike Romey
About: We've raced and sailed the Chesapeake Bay for 30 years. When we're not sailing the Bay, our boat resides at our dock in Reedville, VA. We're looking forward to sailing in new waters as we make our way down the Intracoastal Waterway.

Who: Polli and Mike Romey
Port: Reedville, VA