J-40 Chinook Adventures

Traveling South 2012 -- We're heading south in search of great sailing, interesting places, warmer weather, and new and old friends.

28 April 2013 | Warehouse Creek
16 April 2013 | Currituck Sound, NC
12 April 2013 | Southport, NC
11 April 2013 | Fernandina Beach to Charleston
03 April 2013 | Lake Worth Inlet
28 March 2013 | South Beach, FL
21 March 2013 | Miami, FL
03 February 2013 | Middle Keys -- Boot Key Harbor
09 January 2013 | Venetian Causeway/Belle Isle
29 December 2012 | Stuart, FL
29 December 2012 | Titusville to Vero Beach
19 December 2012 | Northern Florida
07 December 2012 | St. George River
07 December 2012 | Brunswick, Ga
03 December 2012 | Miami
25 November 2012 | Skull Creek, SC to Brunswick, GA
19 November 2012 | Atlantic Ocean - Nov. 12, 2012
15 November 2012 | Cooper River, Charleston
15 November 2012 | Moorhead City, NC
05 November 2012 | Wrightsville Beach NC

Ocean Travels

03 April 2013 | Lake Worth Inlet
sunshine and breeze
Here we are leaving the Lake Worth Inlet heading out for a second day of ocean sailing on Sunday morning (3/31) and we are treated to this glorious sunrise.  The sailboat in front of the two tugboats is our "buddy boat" - Chanticleer.  Unfortunately, we didn't get in front of the tugboats fast enough so we had to wait for them to head south.

We left Miami Saturday morning with winds out of the NE and E at 10-15 knots.  It was a beautiful morning and with rather calm seas we settled into the rhythm of the sails on a tight reach and had a great trip.  Part way through the day the winds were fluky so we motor-sailed, maintaining good speeds with the help of a favorable current.  Our entertainment was the flying fish and dolphins.  As we got close to the Lake Worth Inlet we saw Dustin's fleet in their practice regatta, with spinnakers flying.  Unfortunately, they moved faster than we did and were in the Inlet before we could catch up with them.  Still it was fun to see.  We tucked into the anchorage close to the Inlet and called it a day.  

Sunday was a repeat of Saturday, except predicted winds from the south were really NE for the first part of the day and then shifted south but not enough to keep us moving.  So it was a day of motor-sailing, but we made good time and got into the Ft. Pierce Inlet in time to miss the building wind and seas.  A short 40 minute sail/motor to the ICW and winds had piped up to 17 knots.  We motored the remaining 11 miles in the ICW to Vero Beach where we grabbed a mooring ball with Chanticleer.  There are always lots of cruisers on moorings there and we caught up briefly with friends Joe and Bessie on Summer Snows and people we met in the Bahamas two years ago Options III - always fun to share travel stories. Dinner together on Chanticleer to recount the 2 days of travel and share whatever we had in our refrigerators.  Nice evening and we're making good progress north.
Comments
Vessel Name: Chinook
Vessel Make/Model: J-40
Hailing Port: Reedville, VA
Crew: Polli and Mike Romey
About: We've raced and sailed the Chesapeake Bay for 30 years. When we're not sailing the Bay, our boat resides at our dock in Reedville, VA. We're looking forward to sailing in new waters as we make our way down the Intracoastal Waterway.

Who: Polli and Mike Romey
Port: Reedville, VA