J-40 Chinook Adventures

Traveling South 2012 -- We're heading south in search of great sailing, interesting places, warmer weather, and new and old friends.

28 April 2013 | Warehouse Creek
16 April 2013 | Currituck Sound, NC
12 April 2013 | Southport, NC
11 April 2013 | Fernandina Beach to Charleston
03 April 2013 | Lake Worth Inlet
28 March 2013 | South Beach, FL
21 March 2013 | Miami, FL
03 February 2013 | Middle Keys -- Boot Key Harbor
09 January 2013 | Venetian Causeway/Belle Isle
29 December 2012 | Stuart, FL
29 December 2012 | Titusville to Vero Beach
19 December 2012 | Northern Florida
07 December 2012 | St. George River
07 December 2012 | Brunswick, Ga
03 December 2012 | Miami
25 November 2012 | Skull Creek, SC to Brunswick, GA
19 November 2012 | Atlantic Ocean - Nov. 12, 2012
15 November 2012 | Cooper River, Charleston
15 November 2012 | Moorhead City, NC
05 November 2012 | Wrightsville Beach NC

Chinook Back Home

28 April 2013 | Warehouse Creek
April 16 and 17
Just as we have done for the last two weeks, we were up early and out of the marina at 6:30 am.  A quick motor into Albemarle Sound, we motor-sailed with the jib.  This is one of my least-favorite crossings, but it looked like the Sound would be kind to us today.  Winds at 12-22 knots and more importantly, seas 1-3 feet.  We made good progress across the Sound, past Coinjock, into Currituck Sound, and the Chesapeake Canal to the Great Bridge Locks. The weather was warm and passage was uneventful with current helping us along the way.  We pushed hard to make bridges and the locks, challenged by times when bridges weren't opening during rush hour.  We thought we'd lost the battle and would have to waste over an hour waiting to get through the last bridge when a barge pulled into the ICW behind us.  He had opening appointments with two bridges to cross through at 5:15 and 5:45 pm.  The kind bridge tender consulted with the tug pilot about our crossing during his openings and we got the okay.  Whew!  That meant we could get to Hospital Point in Portsmouth in time for dinner.  We were surprised to arrive at the anchorage and see only two other boats, but we settled into our spot and called it a night.

Wednesday morning -- hopefully, the last leg of the trip -- 66 more miles to our dock.  We were up early again and followed a tug out of the Elizabeth River.  There was a lot of commercial activity during our 2 hour motor out of the James River and into the Chesapeake Bay -- Mike and I marveled at the infrastructure of this busy port, with tugs moving barges, ships being painted and containers filled.  We were the only recreational sailboat witnessing the hustle and bustle of the early morning. Once in the Bay the winds died and the current flowed against us, so no chance of sailing on our last day.  Still, we used the jib to get us whatever push it could provide -- and oh, by the way, another day of sunshine and blue skies.  Still, we made good progress and by mid-afternoon our Green can 3 - the entrance mark to the Great Wicomico River - was in sight.  Once into the river it wasn't long before we saw the familiar green mark into Warehouse Creek - then just a short time before Chinook was tied up and safe at her dock once again.

We had a wonderful trip, with many good memories, new friends, and fun adventures.  The trip home was a quick 19 days -- 15 days of travel; 4 lay days -- but we're home in time to switch gears and get ready for our flight to Barbados where we will enjoy watching Dustin race in the 505 International Worlds.  We know from the last trip that it takes a little time to re-acclimate ourselves to a big house - extra space, running hot water, and flushing toilets.  That will happen after the Barbados trip.  Still, it's good to be home and we are looking forward to a summer of exploring the Chesapeake Bay once again --- that is, until the next trip south.
Comments
Vessel Name: Chinook
Vessel Make/Model: J-40
Hailing Port: Reedville, VA
Crew: Polli and Mike Romey
About: We've raced and sailed the Chesapeake Bay for 30 years. When we're not sailing the Bay, our boat resides at our dock in Reedville, VA. We're looking forward to sailing in new waters as we make our way down the Intracoastal Waterway.

Who: Polli and Mike Romey
Port: Reedville, VA