Impulse Cruising Again

Vessel Name: Impulse
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 350
Hailing Port: Langhorne PA
Crew: Bill & Mary
10 August 2023 | Oswego, NY
09 August 2023
02 August 2023 | Valdosta, Georgia
02 August 2021 | Punta Gorda, FL
31 July 2021 | Slidell, Louisiana
30 July 2021 | Eunice, Louisiana
29 July 2021 | San Antonio, TX
28 July 2021 | San Angelo, Texas
27 July 2021 | Santa Fe, New Mexico
26 July 2021 | Albuquerque, NM
25 July 2021 | Flagstaff, AZ
24 July 2021 | Tropic, Utah
23 July 2021 | Saint George, Utah
22 July 2021 | Saint George, Utah
21 July 2021 | Las Vegas, NV
19 July 2021 | Bakersfield, CA
17 July 2021 | Hermosa Beach, CA
16 July 2021 | San Diego, CA
Recent Blog Posts
16 August 2023

Heading for Philly after a few stops...

Sunday, August 13

12 August 2023

Time in the foothills of the Adirondacks

Friday, Aug 11

10 August 2023 | Oswego, NY

Finally catching up

Tuesday, Aug 8

09 August 2023

One post, many days

So I haven't posted any news in a long time - here is some catch up material. I'll post the rest tomorrow...

02 August 2023 | Valdosta, Georgia

Another Road Trip! Going North...

We are on the road and here is the story.

02 August 2021 | Punta Gorda, FL

Our Last Night on the Road!

Not much to report for yesterday - Bill drove and drove and drove. We left Slidell, Louisiana and stopped for the night in Lake City, FL. I had wanted to stop at Florida Caverns State Park but the tickets for the tour of the caverns are first come, first served and as we neared I called and we [...]

Bill says “Oh My Knees!” Or was it “Oh My! Knees!?”

10 May 2017 | Little River Inlet, SC, or NC??
High 80s, breezy and sunny
During this trip we have observed a continuing change in the vegetation surrounding the ICW. Palm trees and mangroves marked the first part of the journey and they have given way to hardwoods, pines, and today we saw cypress trees with their knees at the water’s edge. “Cypress knees” are vertical growths from the tree’s root system which protrude from the water. No reason for their existence is agreed upon, but many feel that they help with the trees’ stability in the muck in which cypress trees grow. (See photo for an example.) We left the dock at 6 am as the beautiful full moon set and dawn began. Water hibiscus floated down the Waccamaw River as we moved up into the cypress swamp. We saw very few boats except at a few marinas and houses until we had gone about 35 miles and entered civilization again. Huge, new homes were being built on both sides of the waterway, and many small boats and PWCs buzzed about. A long stretch, known as the “Rock Pile,” was navigated uneventfully, which is wonderful! Bill tells me that when the Army Corps of Engineers was putting the ICW in, they hit rock and so dynamited to get through this section, but to save money it is narrower than the rest of the ICW. Being from Jersey and the Chesapeake, we are not accustomed to rock! After passing Myrtle Beach, we had planned to anchor in Callabash Creek as it was the only anchorage for miles, but as we approached, another sailboat was being towed off a shoal by TowBoatUS. So Bill roamed around a bit looking for good water and eventually talked to the TowBoat captain and he told us about a great anchorage by the inlet. So we followed his instructions and found it (he was actually here to usher us in). It is a beautiful and empty anchorage. All of the day boats have left so we are here alone. We had steaks and onions on the grill with parsley potatoes. Delicious! This anchorage is the best it gets! Nearby is Bird Island, which is calling to me! We may stay tomorrow and explore a bit by dinghy. Let’s see how tonight goes…
Comments

About & Links