Impulse Cruising Again

Vessel Name: Impulse
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 350
Hailing Port: Langhorne PA
Crew: Bill & Mary
10 August 2023 | Oswego, NY
09 August 2023
02 August 2023 | Valdosta, Georgia
02 August 2021 | Punta Gorda, FL
31 July 2021 | Slidell, Louisiana
30 July 2021 | Eunice, Louisiana
29 July 2021 | San Antonio, TX
28 July 2021 | San Angelo, Texas
27 July 2021 | Santa Fe, New Mexico
26 July 2021 | Albuquerque, NM
25 July 2021 | Flagstaff, AZ
24 July 2021 | Tropic, Utah
23 July 2021 | Saint George, Utah
22 July 2021 | Saint George, Utah
21 July 2021 | Las Vegas, NV
19 July 2021 | Bakersfield, CA
17 July 2021 | Hermosa Beach, CA
16 July 2021 | San Diego, CA
Recent Blog Posts
16 August 2023

Heading for Philly after a few stops...

Sunday, August 13

12 August 2023

Time in the foothills of the Adirondacks

Friday, Aug 11

10 August 2023 | Oswego, NY

Finally catching up

Tuesday, Aug 8

09 August 2023

One post, many days

So I haven't posted any news in a long time - here is some catch up material. I'll post the rest tomorrow...

02 August 2023 | Valdosta, Georgia

Another Road Trip! Going North...

We are on the road and here is the story.

02 August 2021 | Punta Gorda, FL

Our Last Night on the Road!

Not much to report for yesterday - Bill drove and drove and drove. We left Slidell, Louisiana and stopped for the night in Lake City, FL. I had wanted to stop at Florida Caverns State Park but the tickets for the tour of the caverns are first come, first served and as we neared I called and we [...]

Biking and Bunking at Bald Head Island

14 May 2017 | Bald Head Island, NC
mid 70s, sunny
By the time I awoke Bill, Cheryl, and Rich were in the kitchen and breakfast was being prepared. I finished up laundry and then we all sat down to a super Sunday morning meal. We usually go out for breakfast with Mom (and Dad) and Nancy, so having a special Sunday breakfast fit our schedule perfectly! What great hosts Rich and Cheryl are. They had a golfing date at 9:45, but well before then we all ate, along with Ellen, and after goodbyes she drove us to the marina. Laundry was stowed, connections were undone and we were on our way at 10:30, headed toward Bald Head Island, which is just across the Cape Fear River from Southport near the inlet. We arrived at the marina at noon and tied up. Registration and lunch happened, and then it was time to get the bicycles out for a ride around the island. It is 3.5 miles long and we rode about halfway, stopped at the shops at Market Alley, and then headed back. We stopped at the Bald Head Island Lighthouse, affectionately known as “Old Baldy,” and built in 1817 (see photo). We didn’t pay to climb it – too close to closing and we were tired!! There is much history on this island and plaques to read are everywhere! Native Americans, Spanish explorers, pirates, and eventually Confederate soldiers all took a part in it. Fort Holmes was an earthen fortification built by slaves from area plantations and manned by more than a thousand Confederate soldiers with 15 mounted guns between 1863 and 1865. No major battles were fought here, but it was a successful deterrent to the Union army... Back at the boat we had a glass of wine and then headed to MoJo’s for dinner. After sitting at our table, waiting for any attention at all, we left and went to Delphina’s. Both are located right around the harbor. Service there was excellent and the food was fantastic. We had margaritas to toast Mother's Day and Bill had a burrito and I had a pasta dish with chicken and ancho chiles - none of it was your typical Mexican food. This is a place that deserves five stars as far as I am concerned. The air had cooled as we walked back to the boat, so all hatches are open to catch the breeze. The boat is rocking from the swells entering the harbor between the jettys - I know we will sleep well tonight!
Comments

About & Links