Impulse Cruising Again

Vessel Name: Impulse
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 350
Hailing Port: Langhorne PA
Crew: Bill & Mary
10 August 2023 | Oswego, NY
09 August 2023
02 August 2023 | Valdosta, Georgia
02 August 2021 | Punta Gorda, FL
31 July 2021 | Slidell, Louisiana
30 July 2021 | Eunice, Louisiana
29 July 2021 | San Antonio, TX
28 July 2021 | San Angelo, Texas
27 July 2021 | Santa Fe, New Mexico
26 July 2021 | Albuquerque, NM
25 July 2021 | Flagstaff, AZ
24 July 2021 | Tropic, Utah
23 July 2021 | Saint George, Utah
22 July 2021 | Saint George, Utah
21 July 2021 | Las Vegas, NV
19 July 2021 | Bakersfield, CA
17 July 2021 | Hermosa Beach, CA
16 July 2021 | San Diego, CA
Recent Blog Posts
16 August 2023

Heading for Philly after a few stops...

Sunday, August 13

12 August 2023

Time in the foothills of the Adirondacks

Friday, Aug 11

10 August 2023 | Oswego, NY

Finally catching up

Tuesday, Aug 8

09 August 2023

One post, many days

So I haven't posted any news in a long time - here is some catch up material. I'll post the rest tomorrow...

02 August 2023 | Valdosta, Georgia

Another Road Trip! Going North...

We are on the road and here is the story.

02 August 2021 | Punta Gorda, FL

Our Last Night on the Road!

Not much to report for yesterday - Bill drove and drove and drove. We left Slidell, Louisiana and stopped for the night in Lake City, FL. I had wanted to stop at Florida Caverns State Park but the tickets for the tour of the caverns are first come, first served and as we neared I called and we [...]

We are Downtown!

19 May 2017 | Beaufort, NC
mid-70s, breezy, partly cloudy
After breakfast on the boat we took showers and then got the bikes out to go for a ride. After a harrowing ride on a major road we ended up at Piggly Wiggly for a few grocery items and some wine – and then rode back to the boat through a quiet residential area. Much better! Unpacked groceries and then put the bikes away and moved the dinghy to the back of the boat. We had moved it to the bow when we were at Bald Head Island to make getting on and off the boat from the stern easier. (Bill suggested I include that one of his favorite movies, "Weekend at Bernies," was filmed at Bald Head Island!). Laundry was packed up and we headed to the local Laundromat. While it was doing its thing we had lunch at Plaza Mexico next door. The food is good here! Once clothes were folded we put things away on the boat and headed for the North Carolina Maritime Museum, which is very near our slip. Last time we were here we were watching a great movie about Blackbeard there when we got a call that the boat batteries Bill had ordered were at the dock so we had to leave to install them. We had hoped to sit and watch the rest of this film now but it wasn’t to be – another film had replaced it. But we did spend much time reading about Blackbeard’s adventures here – this was his stomping grounds! Also read about many aspects of life here – clams, oysters, fishing, recreation, etc. The area off the coast of NC is called the “Graveyard of the Atlantic” since so many ships were wrecked on the shoals that form on the coast. Lifesaving, actually saving lives, was a large part of the work of many of the man who helped those on wrecked ships make it to shore. And, many US ships were sunk here by U boats during World War II – the shoals made this a prime hunting ground since the U boats could “herd” ships toward the shoals and then sink them with torpedoes. After leaving the museum we did a little shopping (olive oil, hats) and then Bill returned to the boat for a nap while I continued to visit local retail stores. A few phone calls and drinks on the boat and then we headed to Clawson’s, right across Taylor St. from the marina, for soups and wings – of course! This is a great town – things are very convenient to the marina and there is always something to watch on the water or land! (Photo shows town clock by dockmaster’s office) Back to the boat for an early morning - rising at dawn to try to beat the forecasted winds in the Pamlico Sound to get to Scranton Creek on the Pungo River.
Comments

About & Links