Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

Leaving on a jet plane......

01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
We would like to wish our family and friends a happy healthy and prosperous New Year! "May the best of last year be the worst of this year"..........I heard this toast in the lobby of Sadie Thompson's Inn. Sadie was a famous "escort girl" in the 40s-50s. Apparently she was run out of Hawaii and showed up here in the late 30s. She rented a room at the local "flop house" (the building which now has her name) which was occupied by mostly missionaries, and started plying her trade. Thanks to the war and Sadies appetite for business, she soon bought the entire building, booted the holy rollers and set up her "house of ill repute". It was a favorite watering hole for the sailors to unwind and relax.

I just wanted to let everyone know we are OK and STILL HERE in what Otis has nicknamed "American Shit Hole-ah". We actually had a decent Christmas. Santa was able to find us again and actually had the luxury of entering Indy through the main salon doors this year, as Sam was adamant that Santa was too fat to make it down the hatches! After we did the usual morning stocking stuffers and gift opening celebration, we headed to the beach at Tisa's Barefoot Beach Hotel. Ben & Sam really enjoy the beach there and Otis and I like Tisa the owner and her son Jason. They held a pot luck with open grille, which suited us fine given the heat, it was perfect to hang out on the beach, snack on cold salads and not have to cook.

We have cleared out and are scheduled to leave here tomorrow morning for Neiafu Tonga. Our original plan was to stop for a few days t Niuatopatapu "New Potoatoes" but we have since found out the island was devastated by the Tsunami, 2 of the three villages were wiped out. Since we have seen enough of the devastation here we felt we should just push on. Have no idea what Neiafu is like but Otis assures me it is "relatively safe" during cyclone season. So that is our plan for now, I will write more once we have something different to report other than here.

Otis spent New Years Eve giving the blog a "facelift", he downloaded and organized a bunch of new photos and labeled a few. He has assured me he will be taking the photos more seriously going forward. Not too bad Otis, considering it has only taken 2.5 years and 10,000 miles! Unfortunately we discovered we are missing most of the Caribbean photos from Bahamas to Venezuela due to a crashed hard drive we still have to send away to get the info recovered. Enjoy and Happy New Year!


Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York