Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

11 September 2009 | Moorea
We arrived in Moorea yesterday after a five day sail from the Marquesas.
It was sad to leave the Marquesas but hurricane season is marching toward us faster than we would like.
The first thirty six hours of the trip were fine then the squalls rolled in and it just got nasty. Twenty five kt winds and ten ft seas for three days..ugh. I am starting to think that whoever named it the Pacific which means passive was having a bit of a joke. We have been duped in the Greenland/Iceland way. From what I have experienced thus far, Neptune does not knock first he simply blows the doors right off!
My foul weather gear is severely lacking too. O went with the nice gear which at the time I thought was overpriced and unnecessary but after three days of standing out in the rain soaking wet I realized very quickly that I should have just buckled down and bought the better stuff....lesson learned. The hard way, of course.
Initially, we had planned on sailing to the Tuomotos for a few days and then to the Societies to catch up with our friends Steve and Kath on Uliad before they leave for six months. However, there was no way we were going to navigate through the narrow passes of a low lying atoll in squally conditions. Many a boat have seen their demise at the hands of these nasty atolls and Indy was not going to be one of them. We changed course, fell off, added two more days to the trip and carried on. The upside of the trip was that we only used our engines to charge our batteries which is a relief when fuel is $5.00 a gallon.
I had nothing planned for the kids because I did not know that we would be out for six days. I felt bad because I did not spend much time with them on this trip. They happily played legos and watched movies. I think because we were not prepared it seemed like a really long trip.
It is wonderful to be back in Moorea. This island holds very special memories for us. This is where O asked me to marry him twelve years ago. When we were in the South Pacific with Carmac we spent a lot of time here. We were giddy and nostalgic when we dropped anchor. We look forward to showing the island to the boys.
After anchoring our friends on Gallivanter came over which was fun because we hadn't seen them since Grenada!!!! Finally we have caught up with them which is unusual because we travel so slowly!!! Of course seeing Steve, Kath and Em on Uliad was like seeing family again. I am going to miss them very much when they leave.
I have to run because Ben has to go to a birthday party on the beach.
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York