Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

Things are hummin along

14 February 2007
Since I last wrote things have progressed quite a bit, although I hate to jinx anything. We had three offers on the house!! After some negotiation we settled on a price and terms so contracts should be signed this week!! Thankfully we don't have to be here to close as my sister has power of attorney (thanks Rach!)so once we go to contract we can essentially pack up and go!! This is very exciting as a lot really hinged on the house selling. NOw I can no longer hide behind the house as an excuse not to pack.
The people that are buying the house seem nice and really love the house which means a lot to me. i don't know why but I have a tendency to get attached to inanimate objects. It seems strange that someone else will be calling this place home but then again i guess that's the natural progression of things.
We are closing on the boat and will take possession of it this Thursday. Due to the cold weather the owner hauled her out of the water so we have to put her back in and take her around to Annapolis. Once she's there we will have a few things done and slowly start moving our stuff on board. There are a few things I'd like to bring to decorate her a bit, just a few little Jenny touches. However, I'm really not going to be bringing all that as far as clothes are concerned. I am a little hesitant about the swimsuit thing but if being in a swimsuit 24/7 does not force me to drop the lbs and firm up then I am truly a lost cause.
MOVING RIGHT ALONG.....Otis gave his notice yesterday! He will be finishing out the week and go in as needed until we leave. This seemed like the last and most permanent hurdle. He is relieved that he has done it and is now anxious to get started on the boat stuff. I am so very proud of him and all that he has accomplished over the years.
People often ask me how I can sell everything and live with my family on a boat. The general consensus being that they couldn't live with their spouses in that small of an area for any extended period of time. I feel just the opposite. Otis and I are used to being together a lot and actually thrive when we are. When we are apart I can honestly say that I crave his company, not in a strange psycho dependent way(hopefully), but I miss talking, laughing and debating with him. In Africa we were together in the middle of nowhere everyday and the same was true on boats. He makes me laugh like nobody I have ever met. He is a truly wonderful husband and father . I can say without a doubt in my mind that Otis is my true soul mate. So no, I don't worry about spending too much time with my family. I am fortunate and thankful that I am able and eager to.
We are expecting our first snow storm of the season which is always exciting. I wonder if this will be the last storm we have in this house. I hope not.
Ben had swimming class today, he is progressing right along. I don't envy him getting into the pool when it's this cold outside. He turns a deep shade of blue once he's out of the water. I swear it just breaks your heart. Once we are in the locker room I dry him using their hair dryer. He thinks I am a superhero for coming up with this idea!!! I must admit it was pretty clever. He is taking an eight week individual lesson because i want him to at least understand the fundamentals of swimming. He has a great teacher named Greg that makes it fun for him. TOday Greg named Ben " Bionic Ben Brown" which impressed Ben.
TOnight i am going to watch the storm roll in and pack up some things I know we won't use before we leave. I need to pick a date for the estate sale which is weighing heavily on my mind. I am thinking we won't be in the Bahamas until the third week of March......
until later
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York