Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

Damage

01 March 2007
The trip to Annapolis was not good, to say the least. I am so angry at the moment that I feel like I could turn into Linda Blair from the exorcist and my head could start spinning right off !!!! I am angry on a number of fronts.
A). Our broker moved Indy for us and apparently he "didn't know he ran into something" nor did he even BOTHER to make a showing while we were in Annapolis to survey the damage, which I found incredulous. THe carpet in the forward stateroom was SOAKED which he did not even bother to wet vac it, get a space heater on it etc. As a result some of the varnish has been compromised. I realize that all of this was an accident but there were some small things he could have done that would have made a BIG difference. Over the phone he described the water on the carpet as wet, "as if someone had taken off foul weather gear in there". Yeah, someone could have been taken off their foul weather gear, clothes and boots after just having fallen OVERBOARD!!!!!! To say it was soaked is truly an understatement. I find his response,or lack there of symptomatic of how irresponsible he is. Was it unreasonable to expect him to have been there when we arrived. I would have thought he would have liked to show us around his little work of art. He keeps telling us how remorseful he is and I do believe him but he needs to walk the walk a little more. Needless to say, I expect us to be having a little "come to jesus" talk this morning.
I had to laugh yesterday as we were trying to get the water out of the carpet etc. that not only are we paying for his very costly accident but we are also cleaning it up!!! UGH.
B). Both water tanks are compromised which is HUGE. We will now have to cut holes in the top so someone can get down into them to fix them with the fiberglass and then reline them so that they are safe to hold drinking water etc. This is a pretty big job which will be expensive and time consuming. NOt to mention the rudder had to be removed yesterday and the rudder poles have to be replaced. I can't even go down this road at the moment...
C). The yard is awful. You would think because we are new owners and have just brought the boat back due to damage they would call us or see how they could help...what the yard can do etc.( which will turn into a profit for them). But NO we had to track them down. People wonder why they don't make money!!!!! Customer service is the key to a successful business...be proactive...make things easy for people and follow through. Is it that difficult to grasp???

We have hired a general contractor to oversee everything and thankfully, will be moving the boat closer to Annapolis. This way we can get the work done and hopefully get some of the other stuff we wanted done as well
All in all this little screw up will cost us around $ 10,000. I feel sick even thinking about it. Yes, we have insurance but if we claim this I can only imagine what it will do to our rate. I can't think about this right now until I know more. I can only deal with what I know for sure or else I will be a lunatic. Anyway, hopefully this won't slow us up too much because we have to be out of the house on or about 4/1. All in all Indy will be stronger for this and yes......at least I have the health of my family.
I guess I just had to vent in order to help me move forward.
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York