Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

homeless

09 April 2007
We closed on the house today which is bittersweet. Yes, I am happy to be taking the next step, BUT i am also sad to be leaving our dog, family, house and friends. We had the cutest little 1920's Tudor that was perched up on a hill surrounded by wonderful old growth trees. We had a lot of good times there. It was our first house and it served us well.
Sometimes I have little pangs of "WHAT THE HELL ARE WE DOING??" I think they are a result of the turmoil that we are experiencing. I hate to complain because we have chosen this adventure and some people have REAL problems that they didn't choose. But I would be lying if I didn't say that this has been hard. Someone recently said that it's always darkest before the dawn and that is very true. I know that the worst is behind us. This chapter of our lives has closed for now. The next chapter opens.....
We have been bouncing our schedule back and forth and have had to rethink some of our initial plans. It's funny because we seem to be in this big hurry to get on the boat and rush to the Bahamas. After talking we decided that we need to take some time (a couple of weeks) to get a feel for the boat before rushing off. It's hard to pull yourself out of the rush, rush, rush culture that we have grown accustomed. It's funny that we have to remind ourselves that we set the pace. So, Otis will launch(or splash in yachting lingo) the boat this week and i will follow next week with the kids. We will move onboard, provision and take it from there. If we feel like going to the bahamas right away we will or maybe we cruise the chesapeake for a few weeks before shooting off, either way, no decisions will be made until we are onboard. I like that, play it by ear, do it our way, when we want. So, yes, the new chapter has begun and it will take some getting used to but I know that it will be written by the Brown family with a lot of help from Neptune and Independence. I like the sound of that.
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York