Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

The Eagle has landed

23 April 2007
I felt a sense of freedom like I have never had before, it was like coming home, that's the only way I can describe the feeling I had when we arrived at the marina on Friday night. It felt right natural as I walked past the other boats on the way to Indy. I had forgotten how much i enjoy looking at other boats, watching them and of course, commenting to Otis about what I like or don't. It didn't seem strange at all or even that big of a deal to be living aboard. Any doubts that i had in the back of my mind were gone. I knew then, and i know now, without a doubt, that this is right. I couldn't be happier or feel more free.
As with anything, there are some things that still need to be worked out. Priority number one, we need to figure out how to rig ben and Sam's bunk so that Sam cannot climb out. Right now he is in a pack and play in the middle of the main salon, which is not ideal. If anyone has a great idea let me know. I need it to be easy to maneuver and not cagey.
Here's something you don't hear very often, BUT I am pleasantly surprised with the amount of storage space on the boat. Marco, you would be proud of me, i haven't overloaded the boat! Actually there are lots of lockers that are empty! Naturally, I over packed clothes, but I plan on sending some stuff back to my mom's.(Hey, you never know if you might have to attend or be in that odd wedding!!)
The kids toys....we seem to have a lot of them. We'll see how much they are actually used and those that are not will be float tested.
the kids:
Ben LOVES the boat. He gets up in the morning, puts on his life jacket and helps Otis on deck all day. He takes his role as first mate very seriously. It's funny, because there is a pirate ship behind us the takes kids in and out of the harbor four times a day and ben is captivated by it. On Saturday, Sea Gypsy was going by Ben yelled "Ahoy Matey" of which they replied, "Ahoy there scurvy dog" From then on out, every time the ship passed Ben gave them some type of pirate salutation. It was hilarious and he was so proud of himself. At night, he falls into bed and sleeps like a rock throughout the night. And i forgot to mention, we have a trampoline on the bow, which Ben also loves. I am not worried at all about ben I know that he will flourish.
sam has been sick since moving on board so hasn't adjusted as well. He gets a little freaked by the motion but I think he will come around once he starts feeling like his old self...which will hopefully be soon.
As i write this I am sitting on the aft deck listening to ben and Otis discuss the merits of cleaning something or other, the sun is out, there is a slight breeze and life is good.
The weather is not suppose to hold but D.C. is nearby so we are planning a day at the Air and Space museum which should be cool.
On another note, the guy on the boat across from us just came across from France delivering a Lagoon 44. He regaled me with stories of being stuck off the coast of Norfolk last week during the Nor'easter. He said in his fifty years at sea had never seen anything like it, 30 foot seas with the occasional 60 ft swell....I loved hearing his story.......... I did kind of wonder why in this day and age you wouldn't use a weather fax or email or SOMETHING for weather, he uses other ships and he had received conflicting information. His story was incredible and I was a very captive audience........ It feels good to be back.
until tomorrow.
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York