Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

Memorial weekend

29 May 2007 | Annapolis
this past weekend we had our friends and their two kids here. We went to a little anchorage around the corner which was nice, quiet(at least everyone else there was) and the water was clean(as clean as a mud bottom body of water can be!). The kids did really well swimming. I was pleased to see that Ben was eager to get in and swim. Sam just laughed, kicked and tried to blow bubbles.
Otis loved being on anchor because he could really check out the amps usage with all those people on the boat(he was pleased0. The water usage was a little harry but a) our friends did try to watch their consumption but not like someone that NEEDS to watch the consumption b) we will have a water maker once we leave the chesapeake c.) did i I mention the watermaker??. Yeah, we went through a tank of water in 30 hours.....not great, but there were eight people on the boat. Needless to say, it would be hard to beat MY water conservation, but then again that's a given..
WE didn't get any sails up because there was not a breath of wind on the bay. Iwas just like glass. Actually, the only wind was that created by our motor!! Given that it was memorial day weekend the bay was packed! I hate navigating around when it's that busy because you have people coming at you from everywhere and they don't know what they are doing, they are drinking etc. I was horrified to see people pulling their kids on an intertube in the middle of a busy channel. Are they just crazy!!!It never ceases to amaze me how careless people are sometimes. Anyway,...
We arrived back Sunday night about an hour before a vicious storm moved in kicking up fifty mile an hour winds, heavy rain, thunder and lightening and then just as it had moved in it was gone. I am amazed by the severity of the thunderstorms here. They always seem to pack high winds on the turn of a dime.
Today the rigging guys were here installing our new roller furling! They are suppose to finish in the morning so we can take off for a few days before my sister and brother in law arrive on Friday!! I can't wait to see them! It will be nice to take them out, anchor, swim, bbq and just have some laughs.
Tonight we went to the pirates place(Mike and Emily) for Chesapeake crabs which were delicious! I had never had them before so it was a learning experience. I am an instant convert. the kids played in the pirate area, digging up treasure while we all dissected what seemed like the entire chesapeake crab population.
I am provisioning the boat to head north. I have it all inventoried and will track what we eat to help me perfect the provisioning before we head down island where things get really expensive.
The plan is to leave here in about ten days. It;s bittersweet as I have really enjoyed myself. What a wonderful place to have the family acclimate to life onboard not to mention we got all of the work done that we needed to do.
Did I mention in my last entry that I bought new fabric for the headboards and settees in the cabins? The headboards look great. I went with a funky preppy theme but as my friend lara pointed out, I am funky preppy so it's not too far of a stretch. Oh well, they look great. Before all the rooms had the same fabric which had anchors on it. I know I am on a boat I don't need anchor fabric to tell me that. I am trying to find someone to make the settee cover for under what seems like an exorbitant amount of money. I may just have to wait until Maine where it is a little more reasonable.
Hopefully we will be off for a little family time tomorrow.
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York