Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

Checking In

12 June 2007 | Mill Creek
I am so frustrated that I can't post photos. I just bought the verizon wireless card so that I have internet access but it keeps cutting out on me...ugh. Tomorrows plan is to spend what will equate to probably four hours on the phone with verizon and i will hopefully then have the unlimited internet figured out. Then I want to take a bunch of the boat now that it's at anchor.
Anyway, onto happier things.....this was a great weekend. My parents and sister were here. We took them sailing Saturday on the bay. I have to admit the bay sometimes stresses me out because it is so crowded! You have tankers, dinghy races, day cruisers, power boats and sea kayaks basically anything that can float is out there. Never the less, we had Indy humming along in a nice twenty five kt wind. Then we anchored back in Mill Creek where we swam and hung out. I love being with my family as it's so relaxed and we all just kick back and have a good laugh. Speaking of.....
Rachael, my sister, and Ben were making smores over the grill when Ben told rach to hold his stick that he'd be right back....Ben returned wearing his swim mask and said "much better, thanks for holding that Rach" rach, thinking nothing of the fact that she was standing over a grill with her nephew who was wearing a scuba mask, responded "no problem" and they went back to grilling. I came up from down below when they caught my eye and I laughed so hard I thought I was going to fall overboard. Rach then noticed the humor and started laughing but commented that she thought his mask was reasonable, because of smoke etc. I do not do the story justice but it was classic.
Last week we had dinner at Cantlers, a local crab place near our anchorage, with Pat, Michele and their two kids. They gave us such thoughtful parting gifts! Michele picked out a MAGNIFICENT blue bead bracelet made by a local artisan that I just love. Michele, being an artist, gave O, an aspiring artist, a wonderful sketch book and two books that will help Otis kick off the creative process. The gifts were so thoughtful and meant a great deal to us. It's funny how you sometimes meet people and feel an instant connection as if you have known them for a long time. i have a sneaking suspicion that our paths will cross again in the future. At least that is our hope.
Today was yet another errand day. we had to go buy a rebuild kit as our sea water cooling pump blew which we discovered during the sail this weekend when I noticed water on the galley floor and upon sampling it, yes i had to, discovered it was salty. So O's first rebuild(of which I am sure there will be many) on Indy. While he is not all that excited about BUT at least we caught it early and it didn't do any damage.
I can't even go down the battery road as i am very frustrated. It does not seem as if we use much battery power(we don't at all!) but seem to have to run the engine daily to top them up. If this is the case i don't understand why people don't have generators. I thought the selling point behind batteries was so that we didn't have to run the engine daily. It just does not make sense. Granted the batteries are not flat so it's not like we HAVE to run the engines but to keep them topped off we do..................anyone know anything about batteries....does this sound correct??
After the rebuild and the car sale we are cruising North. We re meeting Rach and Mike on the cape for the fourth so we need get a move on.
Thanks to all for the coffee suggestions. I have taken them to heart and am developing a plan, of which I will take full credit!
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York