Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

Martha's Vineyard

06 July 2007 | Martha's Vineyard
We picked up Rach and Mike Tuesday night and left bright and early for the hour cruise to Martha's Vineyard. Initially we anchored in Vineyard Haven, next to the oil storage tanks, not our idea of what the 'Vineyard' would be. We launched the dinghy and went to town for breakfast. After walking around for about five minutes, we quickly discovered that Vineyard Haven was the industrial part of the island. Edgartown was where it was happening. So after a great breakfast we pulled anchor and made our way to Edgartown.
Once here we anchored just off of the beach a little outside of the harbor. It has proved to be a great anchorage, holding well while we got hammered with high winds and a strong current.
When we first arrived we noticed a barge near us that had a police boat circling it all day. We all commented about it and decided that due to increased security for the fourth it was probably protecting it. After a trip to shore we came back and there were literally eight police boats with lights on circling the barge. I had the VHF radio on trying to hear what was happening. Otis and I thought that maybe a dignitary was on one of the yachts anchored and they were just providing security. Then the evening set in and the show started. It was a fireworks barge!!! We were RIGHT THERE!. they were the best fireworks show I have ever seen. Rach and Otis kept calling the finale to no avail. They were just spectacular and went on for abpyt twenty minutes. The best part was we were, without even planning it, front and center. It was agreed by all that it's nice to hang out in wealthy areas!.
While in town on the fourth we caught the Martha's Vineyard parade. What a kick!!! Fantastic little floats, lots of local color and celebratory times by all. Overall, it was a great day despite the rain and wind.
Edgartown is adorable! Otis and I just like the feel of this island so much that we have decided to base here for a little while. It is a blindingly preppy island but there is a very relaxed feel that I enjoy. Yes, another place i could live!
The weather has not been all that great but Rach and Mike have been troopers. Today it is overcast and foggy bit teh sun is trying to break out. However, if it doesn't we are going to rent bikes and explore.
It is a lot easier for us being on a boat near an island then mainland for the simple fact that we don't need a car because everything is in the main port. Granted prices tend to be a little higher but if you are provisioned well it's just the basics that you will need which aren't that bad.
I have received a number of emails asking about the convenience of day to day living aboard(washing, garbage, provisioning storage etc). I will make my next entry about the day to day, but can't now as I have to see a man about a bike!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York