Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

Downeast

27 August 2007 | McGlathery
As we cruise Maine a nursery rhyme keeps popping into my head which I feel describes cruising here perfectly. I have to share it because I feel it is fitting.
There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good,
She was very, very good,
But when she was bad, she was horrid.

New England is not for the faint hearted.
We left Camden today beginning our journey to Southwest Harbor. We had fifteen knots on the beam so we tried sailing however, the problem with sailing Indy is when the genny is up you cannot see from whatever side the you are sailing. THREE lobster pots later..... one we shredded, one O had to use the boat hook and untangle it from the rudder, which is not ideal when under sail, and the third we cut.
We finally reached our destination, McGlatherty island which had about five boats anchored. It was about 30 ft deep at high tide so we dropped the appropriate amount of chain/rope about 140 ft but the anchor would not set. Every time we backed down we took a little scenic tour of the anchorage because the anchor WOULD NOT HOLD! So I would have to bring it all up.... FOUR attempts later, packing in whatever pride we had, we left. I can only assume that all the boats there will all be dragging wildly tonight, at least that's what we are telling ourselves..
We went around the corner to another anchorage which was much shallower. Anyway, we found a little spot albeit with rocks on either side so we had to pick carefully. We finally started to drop the anchor and off to my port there was a guy on a boat waving his arms wildly. I said to O "that some guy seems to be trying to get our attention". We checked the chart, all was fine so we continued. He quickly rowed his dinghy out and told us we were dropping on his anchor. OK, I could understand if we were near him but he had apparently come ALL THE WAY OVER to the other end of the cove and dropped what must have been 160 ft(in ten feet of water) of anchor right through the center of the anchorage. I had no sympathy and wanted to tell him 'tough' he should learn to anchor because there was no reason he needed to drop so much chain, he didn't need to do it through the center of the anchorage and there was no way, considering his position that we were on his anchor but O got to him before me and we pulled anchor, once again. Can I mention his boat did not BUDGE when we pulled anchor. There was no way we were on his anchor. Yes, Otis and I who had just dropped our anchor four consecutive times unsuccessfully are now giving advice. It's easy always be correct when you write the story.
The good news is that we dropped anchor again and it held. After dropping anchor and putting the kids to bed Otis and I dressed in about eight layers each, opened a bottle of wine and sat out on the fore deck watching shooting stars in a planetarium like setting. It was crisp, cold and crystal clear...just stunning.
The next day, we had a day I hope to always remember. After breakfast O and I took the kids to the deserted beach and beach combed. We found loads of shells, sea glass and driftwood. We then chased down lobster boats hoping to buy some lobster off the boat. We finally tracked them down which was very exciting. We then returned to the boat and I put Sam down for a nap and cleaned while O and Ben went to the beach to gather wood and dig a hole for our lobster bake. That night we had a fire and cooked lobsters while the kids made hot dogs on sticks. It was so much fun. It felt so peaceful, loving and serene there. O and I just looked at each other and commented how truly lucky we are to have such a great family. I feel so blessed and very lucky to have them. At least that is the train of thought when it's nice out!!!!
We stayed at that anchorage for a few days and had the weather held we would probably still be there! But it was not to be. I don't know if I mentioned it but the temps have been getting down into the low 40's at night which makes things not so enjoyable. The water temp is cold so the boat chills right down...fast. It's not so bad for Ben because he keeps himself covered but Sam doesn't quite grasp that yet so we always bring him to bed with us when we go. The other day it was cold during the day 50's, raining and foggy and I would have given anything to get out of Maine but then today it is warm and sunny and I could stay here for a while.... hence,' when she was good she was very, very good and when she was bad she was horrid'. Maine.
We are now in Southwest Harbor and have grabbed a mooring for $ 20 a night which is a bargain.
I spent the afternoon with an old friend of mine I had not seen in eight years named Hopie. I swear we picked up again like we had seen each other yesterday. Hopie taught me to 'always keep your friendships in constant repair and that ' life is not a dress rehearsal' two things I try to use everyday. She is a modern day flapper with a flair and zest that is fun to be around. To know Hopie is to LOVE her.
We also met our first cruisers!!!!! and they have kids!!!!. Ian, the dad, dinghied over today to ask if we had kids, what is our plan etc. They have two kids ages 7 & 10 and have been traveling for two years already. Ian actually helped O figure out the SSB and sail mail. which we were going to have Wayfarer do so we are very happy...saving money always feels great. We invited them over tonight for burgers and cocktails. Hopefully the weather will hold but knowing Maine it won't and we will be inside shivering. Thankfully I am well stocked in the wine department if that happens.
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York