Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

Finally

12 February 2008 | Luperon, Dominican Republic
* I am going to post pictures tomorrow.
You can also click on the map on the right side of the screen to see our location.
picture taken in South Caicos

We have arrived in Luperon, Dominican Republic and are sooo very happy to be here. But let me start at the beginning.
We left Sand Cay around 4:30pm on Sunday. We were a little concerned about the weather as the weather window didn't seem like much of a window by the time Sunday rolled around. I was nervous about the trip. I woke up at three o clock in the morning the night before and ran through all worst case scenarios in my head(think Poseidon Adventure), which were pretty ugly, plus it was still blowing 20-25kts which only exacerbated my anxiety. So I was pretty angst ridden once Sunday finally rolled around.
Sunday morning was beautiful and the wind had calmed a bit, however, nothing like I was hoping. There were about nine other boats staged in Sand waiting to leave on Sunday as well. One of the boats had a cocktail party on Friday night so we had all met. Anyway, I figured if they were going we should go as well(which is a terrible way to decide). However, it must be said that people were tossing around staying, except everyone was Turk and Caico's out and we all just wanted to get this leg over. A big mega yacht pulled in behind us mid morning so O went over there and chatted with the crew and asked if they had the latest weather report, which we knew they would. The captain printed it out and it was pretty much on target with what we had, so that sealed the deal, it was not ideal but it wasn't that bad. In exchange for the weather we offered up our friend Steve who is a doctor to swing by and have a look at one of the crew members leg that was infected. WE met Steve and his family in Georgetown and felt confident he would not mind. Steve was happy to accommodate and ended up getting tee shirts, wine and his son(who is seven) got a giant ice cream Sunday.....
Anyway,we decided we would leave around 4:00pm. In order to enter Luperon you cannot get in later than 8:30am when the trades start blowing making it impossible to enter the harbor. The equatorial current can run up to 1.5kts which slows a boat down considerably, so we wanted to give ourselves plenty of time.. We figured it is easier to slow her down rather than speed her up. O wanted to leave later, having great confidence in Indy. We ended up leaving at 4:30, going slowly, so O could fish and would not be pressed for time reeling them all in....always the optimist.
Around 2:00 that afternoon, after I watched most of the other boats leave, I laid on the aft deck looking up at Indy's rigging. She was bucking in the swell and I was struck by the fact that she was like a racehorse wanting so badly to run. For some strange reason, I had a calm feeling about the crossing. It seems crazy but it was as if she was saying 'c'mon jen, let me do it, it will be fine, don't worry '.
On the way out of the anchorage we saw humpback whales and caught a huge barracuda. The wind was close and a steady 18-22, the seas were about 4-5ft and Indy was HAULING! Throughout the night we could not slow her down! We had TWO reefs in the main and TWO reefs in the genny yet we could not get her under 7kts. It was incredible, exhilarating, the reason people keep going out there. We wanted to just let her run but didn't want to be circling Luperon for four hours. It sounds funny because she is a boat, but I was so proud of her. We easily caught up and passed all the other boats that had left hours before. Indy was a hummin. It was AWESOME!!!!!!
At one point atound 3:00am, I was talking to our friends on Wind Borne telling them how Indy was just rocking along. I said "She's like a Thoroughbreed that just wants to run." Everyone else listening, which they all were at 3am, must have rolled their eyes and thought I was the biggest tool. I had a good chuckle out of it afterwards.
The sight and smell of the Domincian Republic was awesome! We instantly had a jolt of adrenaline. The air had a heavy sweet/smoky aroma that greeted us about 15 miles offshore. The mountains lush and beautiful rose out of the ocean, commanding respect and awe. I tingled right down to my toes. We arrived around 6:00am entered the protected harbor, which is surrounded by big green mountains. The flowers are vibrant and the birds chirped away as if welcoming us. You can't swim in the water in the harbor but the dazzle of the island for us is inland. Anyway, we set anchor twice on the silty mud bottom. While anchoring we were greeted by a man named Handy Andy. He came out to the boat with his sidekick Papo and told us he could get us fuel, water, ice, laundry etc. if we needed anything day or night, he was our man. Then our friends Dan and Derek on Ultimate Noche, came over with a pot of fresh pressed Dominican coffee, and gave us the rundown on the bribes we would have to pay to enter the country. They also gave us small change as the officials never had change and saw nothing wrong with taking the larger bills(go figure).
Customs came out and we paid them $53, immigration $10, agriculture $20(ten each) and this morning after getting out of our dinghy a kid came up and told us he was not here yesterday but that we needed a 'tourist card' which was $10. I told him I had no money, had never heard anything about it and walked away. I am not fond of being a human ATM. And hate, like most people, feeling cheated. Funny enough, Gladys, the agriculture shyster, was next to me at the bank depositing a huge gas station roll of American money, ten of which was mine.
We walked around town, had lunch and went down for naps when Sam did. The problem with doing night crossings is that neither of us get any real sleep.
Around 5:00pm Ben and I went to the marina to get an internet pass. While there I saw some people I knew that had arrived yesterday as well. They were having a bit of a landfall celebration over Presidentes, discussing the wonderful crossing. I went back to the boat told O and he suggested I go as he was going to bed at 7:30 when the kids did. So, I went back and celebrated with the couples on the boats Chinook and Hot Latte tudes. Many Presidentes later....
I can't remember the last time I went out like that with no kids. I don't think I have done it since the trip began. It was great fun, I only wish O could have joined me.
Today, we were on a mission to get Ben's arm looked at by an Orthopod. In order to do that we had to go to Puerto Plata about 30kms away. We took the local bus which was roughly a dollar each, the kids were free. It took about an hour through the hilly countryside which was breathtaking. I have fallen in love with this place.
In town we had no idea where to go. I went to a dentists office and he directed me to the Centro Medico clinic. He even stopped working on his patient and ran outside after I had left, to get me a taxi, which was unnecessary, but very thoughtful.
The clinic was private which made it pretty expensive, but it was top notch. They had two x rays and we were seen by an Orthopedic surgeon. He was kind, confident and very knowledgeable. I couldn't have found better in the States. He was also wearing the BEST leather shoes and belt. Which just reinforced my theory that it's all about the accessories. Listen people, spend the extra money it quality accessories it makes a huge difference and it shows. However, I am digressing. Ben's humorous bone is fractured, although not dislocated. The dr ordered another set of x rays as he thought there was a chance that surgery was in order, but thankfully that turned out not to be the case. The fracture is more serious than we thought, but will be just fine after a MONTH in a cast. Ben is now the proud owner of a bright blue fiberglass cast, which will I am sure become some type of superhero weapon to combat the evil forces of Sammy!!! I can see the writing on the wall. Anyway, I feel awful that he has to have it on for so long. He can't do any water related activites or even the beach for a month, although we can wrap it in a plastic bag for the beach. O assures me it will not be the last cast we see on the boys so I had better buck up....baby steps.
Upon our return to Luperon, we found a bottle with a note in a ziplock in our dinghy which read
Otis and Jenny:
Your boat has not been stolen...it has been moved after dragging anchor (he then drew a map as to where our boat was)
Steve
P.S If you are back we are having a kids movie night tonight at 6:30.

YEAH THE HITS JUST KEEP COMING!
Turns out, the wind picked up and we dragged TWICE! In true Jenny and Otis form, we locked the boat but left the keys in the ignition! Our friend Dan(Ultimate Noche), Graham(Hot Latte Tudes) and handy Andy noticed it moving, came onboard started her up, pulled anchor and reset...only to do the same thing again an hour later. This time they moved her to the head of the harbor. I am very grateful to them. Thankfully and we did not sustain any damage. Graham did wonder what our logic was in locking the boat but keeping the keys in the ignition....I often wonder how much 'logic' goes into any of our decisions!
On a side note, lots of people drag anchor here so it is not unusual....
I am exhausted...good night.
Ben did go to Movie night and had a great time. Everyone thought his cast was cool.
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York