Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

True

28 March 2008 | Vieques, Puerto Rico
I have the hardest time posting photos....must contact sailblogs and get to the bottom of it!
Sometimes truth can be stranger than fiction.
I went into town yesterday to get a publico or minivan to take me to the grocery store. After finding one and asking him if he would take me, wait and bring me back, he reluctantly agreed.
Anyway, as we were driving along and making chitchat. He looked at me and in total seriousness asked if I could explain/translate something for him. I happily agreed.
The driver pulled over, got into his brief case and pulled out a pamphlet. He looked it over, pointed to what he did not understand and handed it to me. The pamphlet was an manual explaining how to take a stool sample and send it to the lab!!!! I kid you not
I looked at him and looked around the car thinking I must be getting punk'd or on some dumb gag show. After looking at him again I realized that he was totally serious. He was specifically confused about the use of the word 'stool'. He asked me to translate the part which details how to brush your stool with the given brush and put the brush in the container. He was really baffled by the instructions for a 'loose stool' in which case the brush has to be just swirled around the bowl and placed in the container. Crude, yes but important.
AS I sat there trying to think of the correct translation I could feel the red quickly creeping up my face. I was trying not to laugh which is what I usually do when I am embarressed.I could feel the red heat I just kept thinking O is never going to believe this!!!
The driver was an older retired man and I wanted to avoid embarrassing him or making light of the situation. He was staring at me intently asking "I don't understand what is loose stool". I will not go into the gory details of how I explained it but suffice it to say my spanish was wholy inadequate for the situation. . However, coupled with gestures and sounds I got the message across and tried not to embaress either of us..
All in a days work people...all in a days work.
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York