Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

Culebra

04 April 2008 | Culebra, Puerto Rico
We are currently in Culebra waiting out weather (seems like our life story huh?). Supposedly, according to those in the know, it has been the worst year for weather down here in twenty seven years. I believe it. As I write this we are getting hammered by thirty kt sustained winds, gusting to thirty five, this is day number three of such winds. Remember that 15 ft swell I wrote about in the previous blog??? Well, IT"S BACK! So we are stuck here until at least Sunday. We could move to St. Thomas which would be a ROUGH three hour trip but O and I HATE St Thomas so prefer to stay here and wait it out.
It is times like this that make me crazy. I get bored and stir crazy beyond belief. We moved into town this morning because we were anchored outside along the reef for the last three days and I thought I was going to lose my mind. There is not a lot to do when it is blowing so hard and you are faced with a 2 mile dingy ride into the wind and seas (only one way, coming back to the boat). Swimming is out, beach out, snorkeling out, there are several outside projects on board we would like to do but even they don't seem so fun with the winds howling all day. I start to feel trapped, grouchy, restless, lethargic..did I mention grumpy??? It would be safe to say the entire family gets claustrophobic. Being in town should help, it has a nice little cafe, a few restaurants and a wonderful park.
Remember how I waxed poetic about Sam being potty trained?? Well it seems he had been secretly peeing behind my table in the main salon!! My carpet has taken on quite that public restroom odor which is DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!! I have tried everything to no avail. I would love suggestions!!! I am desperate. All I can smell is the carpet. I need to have it steamed cleaned but nobody here has a steam cleaner so I must wait until probably St Martin. Suggestions, suggestions???? please!!!
Salt and Light are here which I am grateful for. They have had family visiting so have been busy with them but dropped them off on Tuesday. I think the girls (Renny, Michaela and I) are going to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's this afternoon....if the smell of my carpet does not drive them out, while the men take the little kids to the park.
We had some bad news while here. Remember our friend Chris on Christa?? Well he has decided to stay in Puerto Rico through hurricane season which means that our paths will probably not cross again. However, he still had our CQR anchor which he was going to borrow until he found another one down island somewhere. On Saturday Chris had to take a ferry from Fajardo to Culebra with our 50 lb anchor. It was nice to get the anchor back, but we were also happy to have the opportunity to say good bye to Chris. He is truly a stand up guy Both O and I were genuinely sad that this would be our last run with Chris. His optimism was infectious and he was a true joy to be around. Definitely the downside to cruising is saying good bye to people you meet and travel with, but hopefully our paths will cross down the line!!!!

Culebra is nice, it is actually less populated than Vieques (do not have proof of this just going by how it feels) and has some great beaches and some decent snorkeling. We are ready to move on though, we have been in touch with Iceni (remember them from Maine cruising blogs?) they are in St. Martin heading to the BVI's before leaving for home across the Atlantic in 5 weeks. We have changed our plans a bit and are looking to hook up with them in the BVI's for a few days before we shoot down to St. Martin. It will be good to see them again. The last time we saw them we were cooking Maine lobsters on the beach at McGladderly Island.
HOPEFULLY we will finally be able to catch up with Someday Came!!! They flew home for ten days but left the boat in St. Martin. With this crazy weather it looks like we still may not catch up with them. We haven't seen them for FOUR months which is crazy. However, I feel the reunion is quickly approaching. I am very much looking forward to it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York