Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

Jolly Harbor

06 May 2008 | Antigua
Let's see where did I leave off...
Greg ended up spending the night and the rest of the next day on board swimming, chatting and hanging out. He rescheduled his appointments for the day so we could all hang out. It was fun to see him. As he was leaving he asked if we minded moving Indy onto the dock early the next morning. Antigua was in the throes of Race Week and the boats were racing to Jolly Harbor Greg needed to make sure he had someplace to drop his guests. Apparently, the race boats have been known to take his spot. So he arranged a spot for us on the dock other than the one he normally uses. He also lent us his truck and offered us his home as a place to do laundry and chill out. We went to the dock around 9:00am, tied up and went to his house. Greg has cable so Ben and I were glued to the TV while Sam rummaged through everything and O did laundry. It was so nice to be there.
When we returned, local food tents and a music stand along the mall in Jolly Harbor had been set up for the Race Week festivities that night. We noticed that Greg's spot was open so O led him in and we were able to keep our dock spot!!!
Obviously we went to the Race Week festivities. It was a blast!!! One of the best times thus far. Ben had his first spare ribs dinner, which he ate with a napkin wrapped around the bottom of the rib so he wouldn't get messy! But he LOVED them. We loved the fact that the whole dinner was 7EC, about two dollars! Sammy had chicken which he enjoyed with his usual gusto. The whole marina was alive and thumping, but in a very, genteel civilized way. The local stands we filling the air with the smell of bbq while reggae music thumped in the back. After the chicken and ribs dinner, we went to the other grassy square where there were kids running everywhere. Ironically it was right next to the beer tent! O and I both commented that th placement was a stroke of planning genius. For the kids there was a cotton candy/popcorn machine, all parties were happy. There were maybe thirty kids of all ages dancing, playing tag and other various games, while the parents hung out, drank beers and chatted. Sam was dancing like a crazy man to the reggae keeping all the other parents well entertained. There were local kids, racing kids, cruising kids..it was great. It was a jovial evening full of laughter. That night our kids fell into bed with nary a peep the entire evening. I am so glad we are able to experience these things with them. I love seeing them running, dancing, laughing and just being a kid.....it's what this whole thing is about. Let me tell you...Sammy can cut some rug! It is especially funny watching him hold a Ting bottle with one hand with his gut hanging out, dancing...
The next day bright and early we left the dock and made our way to Five Islands. We were joined there by the sailboat Adamo. They are such a lively family, it is infectious being around them. They have two older boys ages 14 & 17 that took ben and Sam under their wing, telling them pirate stories, having hermit crab races, making tents..general boy stuff..it was great. We hung out with Mike and Sue and chatted it up. They are really fun people.
The next morning we pulled anchor and left for Green Island however, it was a little lumpy and I wanted to pull into Falmouth to call my sister before she left for a week long business trip.
Coming into Falmouth was a full circle moment for us. This was our first real destination when we were 22 and it became our safety net through most of our twenties. I just adore this place. There is lots to do, it is easy to navigate, the locals are very friendly and it is pretty. I feel a sense of comfort and serenity here. As we made the turn to come in, I kid you not, the most glorious smell similar to gardenia engulfed us, it gave me chills. After we anchored we took a look around and gave each other a huge hug....we had arrived.
After launching the dinghy we went into town to survey the damage. Not bad. The feel of the place is the same and with the exception of a few more restaurants, it was blessedly intact. The dockyard has not changed at all. This is a truly magical place and I think everyone here realizes it which makes it so laid back. I look forward to showing Ben the old forts, Shirley's Heights, where O and I used to camp, Harmony Hall, Devils Hole, Pigeon beach and all the other great stuff. We plan on enrolling Ben is the equestrian school here for a while.
We had a roti at Grace before Meals which has always been and remains our favorite chicken roti. Grace is still there working like a dog but the woman has not aged a bit.
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York