Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

My Dad

06 May 2008 | Falmouth Harbor, Antigua
After lunch with the family, I returned to town to skype my sister. Upon checking email, I knew that something had happened. There were five emails from my sister. I took a deep breath, tried to stay calm and braced myself.
I learned that my father had had a stroke the night before.
My dad knew something was wrong. He was pumping gas, felt light headed and started vomiting, then his entire left side went numb. Thankfully, he was able to drive himself the two blocks to the hospital. He then fell out of his car and crawled on the ground until a nurse spotted him. Because he had just had the stroke, they were still able to administer a new drug called TPA which greatly reverses the stroke damage. He had a severe stroke but his fast acting response and this new drug saved his life. He was stabilized and medivaced to South Dakota where he is presently.
Within twenty four hours he could move his toes and fingers. Now, seventy two hours later, he has walked, granted with assistance, but it is huge progress. He speech is greatly improved and they expect him to make a FULL recovery after some physical therapy. I am so grateful for the fact that he had the foresight to get himself to the hospital. Had he not, I would probably be writing a very different blog.
My sister flew out to South Dakota and is helping to assess the situation and hold down the fort. The hardest part of my journey thus far has been being so out of touch with family, unable to commit to a time or place to meet or even call people. I hate the fact that I didn't know about the stroke until a day later, and am on an island, communicating via the internet in a bar. I feel completely out of touch, useless and frustrated.
We will stay in Falmouth until decisions are made and things are sorted at home. I feel comfortable here and it is easy to communicate with home. Should my dad need me, I can be there from here without much problem.
So that is all for now. I am hopeful and optimistic that my father will make a full recovery. He is a strong and determined man and I am so proud of him.


*sammy fell and cut his head on a cockpit latch yesterday while standing on a pencil box. I thought it needed stitches O did not... he did not get stitches...and I am second guessing that decision...ugh!
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York