Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

This and That

11 June 2008
It is time to start thinking about pulling anchor and leaving Antigua which totally bums me out, but hurricane season is upon us.
O and I have starting to make a little place for ourselves in the community here. These last couple of months cruising I was starting to feel as if we were just checking countries and places off our list in a hurry to get to the next place. I was always a visitor which I tired of. I think it's important to stop, chill, make friends and relax. When we began our journey, that is how I envisioned our trip, becoming part of different communities along the way. I would rather pick a few places and spend quality time there than hit lots of places capturing none, running through the showers without getting wet. I think the kids benefit from other cultures and Ots and I have some sembalnce of normality. Antigua is perfect because it is always changing yet it stays the same. People come and go, everyone has a story and they are all pretty damn social. Things have slowed WAY down and there are just a smattering of restaurants open yet there still seems to be a lot happening.
Ben has a nice community of about fifteen friends that he sees everyday. While I was away Otis was adopted by the expat 'mummy' group that gathers daily on the beach so the kids can play and the adults hang out and chat(lime daquiri's being the drink of choice). The woman are all very funny and there is a real sense of community among them, most of their husbands work on yachts so the women rely on each other a great deal, playing round robin with dinner etc. They got a kick out of O and him them. He filled me in on all the gossip, must read books, schedules..etc.
Update: Sorry I just had to take a break and clean excrement out of the bathroom where it had exploded after Ben dropped his spiderman in the head and tried to flush it. Not one of the perks of living on a boat.
So, let's see. Before I went North I was working with the Yacht Club organizing a weekly family night. Essentially, two child care people are hired to do crafts and games with the kids, dinner is served and adults socialize. I had to leave before the first one but it is getting a positive response.
This weekend is 'Green Island Weekend' sponsored again, by the yacht club. I am unsure of what it entails but it is family orientated so there will be kids activities, bbq's and social hour. It is a three day event and we are very much looking forward to it.
So life is great for us. This time has truly been one of the happiest times for me thus far on the boat.
Going home made me realize how truly lucky I am to have this time with my family. It made me appreciate the boat and our lives so much more. I had no desire to move back to the States at all what so ever. I love where we are, who we are, what we value and and everything in between and there is not one thing I would change....(except maybe ripped abs and skinny thighs but that goes without saying!).

Did I mention that it is hotter than the hinges of hell here during the day??? Not to worry, our beach has shade so again, all is good.
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York