Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

And We are off...

24 September 2008 | leaving Grenada
started last week.
Our computer is in transit and should arrive on Monday!! Once it arrives we will just be waiting on the weather. It will be strange to be traveling again. For the most part, the Caribbean is just a series of short day sails so it has been a while since we last did a major journey.
We are going to the Testigo islands off the coast of Venezuela. From what I have read there is not much there other than a few fisherman and great secluded beaches...I can't wait. Sushi and swimming! I think the whole family could really use that.
Ben told me the other day that he does not enjoy swimming here very much because of the water clarity, hopefully we can rectify that for him. That thought would have never even crossed my mind when I was five!!
Today while Ben and I did school, O and Sam went to budget marine and came back with new kid fishing poles. All afternoon the kids have been practicing casting. O is taking this very seriously. First, you must learn to cast.....one step at a time. If you are going to learn to fish then you have to do it right..
We rented a car the other day to run some last minute errands. The kids got their shots, we copied charts, went to the grocery store, got prescriptions filled and all the other little odds and ends. Errands actually are a welcome relief because the car is air conditioned! However, driving in Grenada can be a harrowing experience. The roads are narrow with deep gutters on either side so if you do not topple off the side of the road then half of your car will be in a huge cement ravine. The local drives like to drive straight down the middle of the road which leaves you just enough room to squeak by. Not to mention everyone parks on the side of the road(even on curves) which takes up the entire lane so there is often a traffic jam just to get around a parked car. The other day I had to go around a car that had just pulled over and as I was eeking around him he opened his door and got out with out looking!! I ended up nicking his door with my mirror, he was Very lucky I didn't hit him. And, yes ,of course, he was upset with me...because he pulled over and opened the door without once thinking about whether a car was going around him. Go figure.
Yesterday it rained. Normally, I hate rainy days on Indy because you are forced inside, however, with the rain came a cool wind. We all took naps in the afternoon with a moist breeze washing over us. The kids actually used a sheet to cover themselves! The temp got down to 81 degrees inside...kind of fall like.
Today I cleaned. I fiberglass polished, went through clothes etc. In the tropics you have to constantly wipe down the walls because the heat and humidity are the perfect breeding ground for mold. Not crazy mold, but little speckles that appear on the walls or by hatches. You normally have to do a complete wipe down twice a week. Fascinating stuff, i know.
Sunday is O's fortieth birthday. I have no idea how we are going to celebrate. I thought we would be in the Testigos and had visions of a picnic with white candles all over the beach....looks like that won't happen.

UPDATE:
Lordy, Lordy, my Otie turned forty!!! Yesterday was O's birthday and I have to say I dropped the ball. I used to think I had his fortieth all figured out.
In NY, there is a beautiful, classic wooden sailboat that takes people on evening trips around the city and I always thought I would charter that and have a party. However, we no longer live in NY and we have our own boat so that plan was shot. There is not a lot in Grenada that we have not seen so I was stumped! However, it ended up being a very nice day.
We took the kids to the beach in the morning, puttered around the boat in the afternoon and had dinner with our friends Gee and Chris at their rental villa that night. The kids swam in the pool or watched tv while the adults threw back caribs and chatted. It was a really fun evening and Gee and Chris were the perfect hosts. They had no idea that it was O's birthday beforehand.
So, I have rain checked O's birthday a bit until we get to a beautiful island where we can catch/buy fish for sushi, the kids and I will set up a picnic surrounded by white votives. Hopefully SOON!!!
We are leaving Grenada on Wed. We initially were contemplating going up the Orinoco river but have scratched that plan. Other than the outbreak of Dengue fever there. The political situation in VZ is so volatile that we need to move on to greener pastures. The Russians are sending their ships to engage in military procedures with VZ as a show of strength, Chavez has thrown out our ambassador and there are travel warnings for Americans. O and I do not need to be Forrest Gump like in the middle of it all. So we will pass. We are both sorely disappointed.
I must share with you all a comment our friend Steve made in his blog recently. With all that is happening in Venezuela, he asks.... ' do you think Sarah Palin even knows where Venezuela is?' hmmmmm.....scary we even have to ponder that question....
Anyway,
We will be traveling with Zen when we go West. It will be fun getting to know them better while we explore the islands.
Grenada has been kind of funny for us. We have been very low key here. Surprising, considering it is full of cruisers and activities. I guess we just needed to remove ourselves from the cruising environment for a while. Besides, O and I would much rather meet another boat in a secluded anchorage rather than at an organized potluck. However, I do hope that we find some kids Ben's age! Since Stuart left on Gallivanter and Ethan on Salt and Light, we have hit a dry spell. I would like him to have his buddies around..other than us!
Update:
We are leaving tomorrow for the Testigos. In our flurry to get ready to go, we forgot one important thing...clearing customs and by the time we remembered it was too late. We are not up against a weather window so one day will not make that much of a difference. So, Thursday it will be.
After that...next stop..out island of VZ!! I will have to post remotely through our SSB! It has been forever since I have had to do that!
I know I said I would post a the end of the week but we have been crazed getting ready.
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York