Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

01 June 2009
The good news is that the parts have arrived in Ecuador!!! Yeah!!! Nothing like that Fed Ex Priority shipping which rushes it here in 15 DAYS at some exorbitant price. The real kicker is that the government is now trying to charge us 98% duty!!!!! Which is ridiculous. We knew that they charge 43% on incoming merchandise but they seem to be making a special exception for us...lucky me. O wants to pay it, get our parts, get moving and then dispute. I want to get it sorted now instead of chasing money. I will not go down without a fight. I swear, when I found this out yesterday I was almost physically ill. The constant fighting and haggling over money is getting really old. I have yet to visit a place where I don't feel like I am being totally ripped of f in some way, it gets old. This however, pretty much takes the cake....98% what a joke.
On a happier note, yesterday the kids and I hiked ( I had to carry Sam on my shoulders because someone stole his shoes) to a pretty cool beach. We were the only ones there except for 200 sea lions, 20 marine iguanas (strolling the beach and swimming in the bay) and tons of turtles. The kids made a cool fort where we hung out. Ben wanted to play explorer . Upon telling us how to play he screamed "I get to be Charles Darwin". I couldn't help it ,I burst out laughing, it was so adorable. How many six year olds are vying to be Charles Darwin????
As I looked around me at all the wildlife, had make believe tea and sat with Charles Darwin, I realized that this is what it is about...moments like that is why we are on this crazy, often frustrating, miraculous journey . I need to let the rest go (although I will fight that duty), and not let it overshadow the good stuff. So, that is the new attitude.
Signing Off for Now
The International Human Cash Machine

FYI: Since we have been here many of the kids things have 'gone missing'..here's a quick list...Sam's shoes so now he has no shoes that fit him, their beach truck, nerf football, soccerball and Diego doll. The kids have always shard their toys with the local kids and we have NEVER had a problem with getting them back except here. The other day the kids were playing and Sam had his backpack full of toys that he was sharing with the other kids. He went to the bathroom and O went to pick up the backpack when he caught an eigthy year old woman with her grandson putting all of his toys into her bag!!! O asked her what she was doing and she said " Oh I didn't know".....and took all the toys out of her purse. It was a good thing O caught her and not me because I honestly have no more patience for it. I WOULD NEVER steal from anyone and I expect the same consideration...
OK...Rantings of a crazy woman signing off....
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York