Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

Day 3

19 June 2009 | Pacific
Overcast skies, 8 ft swell off the port quarter, winds SE 12-15 kts boat speed 9.50 kts, (we saw 11.7 kts last night).
We have been humming along very nicely the last twenty four hours. Our speed has been around 9-10kts. Indy is performing like a pro. I am very proud of her. There is also a bit of a favorable current which helps her along.
Everyone onboard is doing well. I would like the swell to calm a little bit but considering the size it is not too bad, however it is just enough that you can't move about as freely as usual and I don't feel totally 100%.
Last night I had the dog watch and I was a little freaked out. Indy was humming along at about 10/10.5 kts and the swell was starting to kick in, the moon wasn't up yet and I could not see a damn thing. It was fine, and probably better that I didn't see the swell. I was relieved when the moon finally came up and even more relieved at 6:00 am to wake O for his watch. I am a chicken and sometimes a little intimidated by the power of Indy...crazy after two years, I know but I am. Ben has been doing school each morning and it appears to be going well, the schedule is just starting to set in.
Yesterday, true to his word, O made a tasty five spice calamari...It was actually very good and incredibly tender, Ben & Sam joined in and were practically licking the plate clean...It was better than any restaurant calamari. So I guess I do eat deck squid. O commented that he knew I would come around..."after all it is fried".
I have decided that having a craft and a present a day for the kids is too much, so we are alternating. The kids don't know the difference. I just felt that doing both each day, they were not really appreciating either one fully as there were always looking to move on to the next. Tonight's entertainment will be the first season of Gilligan's Island(which is going to be a surprise) and popcorn.
If we keep up this speed we will be there in 11-13 more days! Although I hate to get my hopes up. We are all very excited for the Marquesas!!!
Don't be afraid to drop us a line. If you don't have the sailmail address leave your email in the comment section and I will email you.
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York