Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

Day 8 Plus

29 June 2009 | Pacific
The last four days have gone by in a blur. We have lost much of the speed we had on the first leg of this trip, but the seas have laid down and thus the motion of the boat is more comfortable.
Day 8: We reached the halfway mark!!!! I dropped the ball and didn't do anything special for it with the kids. The excitement for the day, the bat car, which is the piece that holds the sail in the track on the mast allowing you to slide it up and down, at the head of the main sail sheered off. The broken bits were stuck in the mast track, sixty six feet up. In order for O to fix the sail he was going to have to go up the mast and retrieve the broken bits in hopes of reassembling them. We had no other choice if we wanted to continue sailing with the mainsail. The issue was the eight ft swell accompanied by 15 kts of wind. The rolling associated with the seas creates a pendulum effect at the top of the mast, as the boat rolls from side to side or front to back. The first time O went up he lost his grip about half way up which caused him to swing wildly, banging into the mast and the shrouds several times before I could get him back down. He was a bit battered and bruised but not deterred. We had a little regroup session and decided to bring the boat stern to the wind in hopes of mitigating the swell action. This time O went back up, hanging on for dear life, as the mast swung wildly trying to throw him into the rigging. In the end, he was able to retrieve the errant parts from the top of the mast.
In order to fix the broken part we had to take the entire mainsail off the mast. It all went quite smoothly and within a few hours we were up and sailing again. I am never a big fan of putting O up the mast, even on a calm day in a quiet anchorage, let alone when we are underway in the middle of nowhere, with the closest boat 300 miles away!!! The day after the event Otis had bruises all over his arms, back and inner thighs from holding on so tight.
Day 9:
This was a day for the books...... It all started with waking up to "Jenny get out here I need you now!' I had pulled the dog watch, so I was sound asleep down below when O yelled. I ran out and saw that the asymmetrical spinnaker had wrapped around the forestay....not just once but about 10 times in different places! According to Otis, he had set the spinnaker at first light that morning and we were making great time until we surfed down a huge wave and exceeded the wind speed, which made all hell break loose! The back draft caused the asym. to luff wildly, when the wind filled back in, it wrapped around the forestay in some form of macramé. It was nearly impossible to get undone. We ended up motoring in circles to get most of the wraps off, but the boot of the sock(top) aloft had wrapped around the roller furling(of the Genny..our forward sail) unit was not coming down! This whole episode played out over 3 hours...the whole time the wind is escalating gusting up to 20+/-kts every time we tried to move the boat to unwrap the asym would fill with wind, putting huge stress on the rigging. You do not realize the power of these sails until you are in the situation of trying to douse a sail that won't douse. In the end we had to cut it down, but not before it had shredded itself. This was actually a godsend because it stopped filling once it had the tear in it. At one point O was trying to pull the sock down and it lifted him about 10 feet off the deck. It was starting to look like O was going to have to go back up the mast It all seems like a blur, but I can assure you we tried everything moving the boat in circles, untying tack and clew lines, everything. It was exhausting and to be honest, I still do not know what we did to get it down but we finally did. Needless to say we cannot use it for the rest of the trip, which I am grateful for but O is in mourning. O will make this his first priority fix in the Marquesas, if possible. Great, I can't wait!!!
Day 10/11:
These last few days have been calm which I love, granted we do not have the boat speed we initially did but it is much more comfortable. O and I are starting to get tired. The night watches and entertaining kids during the day is starting to take its toll.
The kids are holding up well. I would be lying if I said that they were not getting a little restless. However, considering the fact that they have been cooped up for 11 days I think they are doing remarkably well. Ben has even been catching up on school!!! I am proud of the way they are handling themselves.
O has been a trouper. He manages to keep himself busy with various projects around the boat. He has been doing quite a bit of cooking! In the Galapagos we bought a whole stalk of bananas and they are all ripening at the same time. O has taken it upon himself to use all the bananas that we bought before they go off. He has made banana bread, chocolate banana bread, banana muffins, banana cinnamon muffins, peanut and banana muffins, banana crepes, jelly and banana sandwiches, peanut butter and banana sandwiches and banana smoothies and has frozen a batch of bananas for later use. It kills him to see food go to waste. He has also whipped up some incredible batches of fish ceviche with our fresh catch du jour. We continue to catch fish on a daily "as needed" basis, so far it has been mostly Mahi Mahi and Wahoo, although we did hook a giant tuna yesterday (80 lbs) but it broke the line lifting it onto the boat. We need a larger gaff hook for this is the 3rd large fish we have not been able to land due to its weight when trying to get it up over the side. I am starting to get antsy. I just want the boat back to normal. I want to do laundry, give everything a good scrub and most of all, I want to get a full uninterrupted nights sleep!
Most of the other boats we have been in contact with go to bed around 10:00pm for the night. They put alarms on the autopilot/radar and crash out. I am envious of them but know that neither O nor I would sleep(well, maybe I could). I can;t see us ever doing that but I am surprised how many people do!!!They put a lot of trust in their instruments! While most night watches are uneventful, it's reassuring to have someone always up should something happen. Example: the other night I was on watch we were hit by a large wave which disengaged the autopilot, the boat turned very quickly and almost gibed.

Every morning we check into a SSB radio 'net' where we relay our position and weather conditions. At first we(O) was hesitant about it but it has been quite fun actually. We sometimes all chat about weather or little things that are happening onboard. There are around six boats that check in and we have them plotted on our electronic charts. The closest one to us is three hundred miles away. It has been a bonding experience and I look forward to seeing all of them down the line.
It seems our nice weather will not be holding, very much to my dismay. We have a large low pressure system approaching bringing higher winds (20/25) but also larger waves 12-15 ft. I keep watching it on the grib files we receive hoping that it will dissipate before it reaches us but that is not likely. It is still two/three days out so I am keeping my fingers crossed. The problem with such a long passage is that you are at the mercy of Neptune. There are no predictions this far out. I am not a sailor that delights in bad weather because it tests my resolve..No, I am a wimp, I like, calm no drama weather and have no need to spin bad weather yarns at the bar....I am too busy yelling at the kids. Tomorrow the kids and I will make some presents for Neptune and give him another little shot of rum (this time the thirty year old rum)....can't hurt.
As I write this we only have 1, 070 miles to go!!!! Sadly we did not get to the piñata at half way, it was too rolly. We will have to do it in the Marquesas.
Did I mention that I am looking forward to a FULL night of uninterrupted sleep?
We are hoping to arrive in Fatu Hiva in the Marquesas in six days....weather permitting.
If the weather is bad we will fall off for Nuka Hiva instead.
That's it for now..it is 5:32am ....my watch is almost over!!!!!1

FYI: We have not adjusted our watches, they are still on Galapagos time and as a result the sun does not rise until 8:00am. I wonder what time it really is....

I apologize if this is disjointed, repetitive and rambling but it is late and I am exhausted.
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York