Cruising to Calm

" I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." Maya Angelou. This is the story of the Brown family adventure. We have pulled roots in NY and are taking our two kids ages 4 & 1 on a five year cruise. This is our story

23 February 2011 | Vava'u Tonga
07 October 2010
29 August 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
30 June 2010 | Eauiki Island
01 April 2010 | Tonga
19 March 2010 | Tonga
23 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
12 February 2010 | Tonga
10 February 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
26 January 2010 | Neiafu, Tonga
20 January 2010
01 January 2010 | Pago pago American Samoa
12 December 2009
27 November 2009 | Suvarrov
02 November 2009 | Palmerston
26 October 2009
23 October 2009 | Nowhere
13 October 2009
26 September 2009

Nuku Hiva

21 August 2009
UPDATE: Today was an awful day. I lost one of my cockpit cushion covers overboard!! The largest one of course. IT blew off the line during a squall. Combed the beach looking for it but no luck. Now I need to find navy blue and linen sunbrella to have a new one made. I feel just sick about it..plus the cockpit now looks terrible. Am going to have to contact sailmakers in Tahiti to see if they have the fabric or else order it from the states.
Pig Roast tomorrow.

The weekend was quiet. The renovations at Tony's place did not happen because he could not get the concrete. We decided against the pig roast because Saturday was a holiday(mid August, of course!!!..yeah, seriously that is what is was). However, as I write this O and Dufrey are hitchhiking across the island to see a man about a pig. Saturday will be the big shindig.

Most nights around 4:00/4:30 we all meet up on the dock, the kids run/fish, we have a few Hinanos and chat with the locals or other cruisers about the daily catch, boats etc and just chill out. The area has is a little crepe van and a few local restaurants but nothing much.
Friday night we had dinner at the local with Galapagos. I had coconut poisson cru for 800francs(about 9.00), the kids split a steak frits (1,000 about $11) and O had shrimp (1000), The food is good and the cheapest you will find. I just love not cooking.
Saturday I painted masks with the kids and cleaned...ugh. There was no wind so it was really hot. We met up with Galapagos around 4:00 on the dock and then went there for dinner.
Sunday O and I were a little slow on the ball, to be honest. It was overcast and rainy so we just lounged around the boat.
On Monday a boat that had arrived a few days prior came over and invited us to a potluck on the beach that evening. So, around four we went to the beach and met people from four English speaking boats that had just arrived. I have to say it felt strange after two months of speaking slowly to be speaking English in a social environment. I felt like I was talking very quickly and had to keep reminding myself that they could understand me. One of the boats had two kids almost the exact ages as Ben and Sam so they were in heaven. The weather was windy and rainy and the swell within the anchorage had picked up so I was a little nervous about Indy. We came home around 9:30 which was perfect because had we stayed any longer it could have been a long night...the guitars were coming out.

Our part should be in at the end of the week so I think we will be pushing off for the Tuomotos next week.
As I mentioned earlier, O is looking for a pig, the boys are on La Barca playing with Jack and Amy and I am alone....strange, wonderful and QUIET!!!!

I forgot to mention that the hammerhead sharks are mating at the head of the harbor and a few have ventured down here..yikes...looks like O will be cleaning the water line.
Comments
Vessel Name: Independence
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft St Francis Catamaran
Hailing Port: New York
About: Curtis/Otis, Jenny, Ben (5), Sam (2)
Extra: " I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same as 'making a life'." This is the story of the Brown family adventure. My husband, Otis and I(Jenny) are taking our two children(Ben and Sam) on a sailing adventure.
Home Page: www.sailingindependence.com

The Brown Family

Port: New York