Capella in the Med

09 October 2012
28 September 2012 | Marsala
20 September 2012
20 September 2012
20 September 2012
19 September 2012 | Cefalau
07 September 2012 | Back to Sicily
03 September 2012
03 September 2012
01 September 2012
28 August 2012
28 August 2012
20 August 2012
20 August 2012
12 August 2012
12 August 2012
12 August 2012 | Southward bound

Escape from Bizerte

28 August 2012
Tuesday
Despite the heat we had a good night’s sleep. When Bob heard a fishing boat reverse into the narrow space beside us he got up and into action. He went off to find the Capitainere in order to pay our dues. He got “picked” up by the Customs Man on the way. Apparently we had not filled in all the required forms the previous day. So Bob was driven back to the boat. When the Customs man saw that he would have to climb over a (smelly) fishing boat to get to us – he gave up and filled in the forms without coming on board – no “present” requested! He then drove Bob back to the port office but on the way they were stopped by three police coming to find us. LUCKILY – Mr Customs explained that those papers were in order and Bob escaped. Bob payed his 7 Dinars- about £3.50 for the night.
Meanwhile Isabel was “looking after” the yacht. So remember we were moored against a big fishing boat (parked at what passes for a fuel berth) and another had just parked at right angles quite close to us. Suddenly I saw yet another fishing boat heading towards us – he turned but then I realised he was towing another fishing boat that was heading directly towards our amidships. No time for a fender the boat drove into our guardrail and bent a stancion before between me pushing and the boat crew we got it off Capella. These two boats then parked at right angles on the other side of the yacht. The fuel man had not yet arrived. Yet another fishing boat arrived and tied up to the first one at right angles to us – I was ready this time and pushed him off us and made him put some fenders out and then yet another boat arrived. I was completed surrounded by boats waiting for fuel – the fishermen were smoking, shouting, kissing each other – it was Bedlam.
At last both Bob and the fuel man arrived. We were the second boat to get fuel – I can’t say how glad I was to get away from them all – see the photo – we were in the middle of that lot beside Aiche.


hit counter html

Comments
Vessel Name: Capella
Crew: Bob and Isabel Joce

Gibraltar to Sicily 2012

Who: Bob and Isabel Joce