IOLEA 2019

We are an Australian couple who have been cruising on our Hylas 49 since 2010. We are currently in Alaska having sailed from NZ via French Polynesia and Hawaii last year.

12 July 2020
04 October 2019
17 September 2019
08 September 2019
27 August 2019
15 August 2019
29 July 2019 | Prince William Sound: Snug Harbor
19 July 2019
17 July 2019
16 July 2019 | Aialik Bay, Kenai Peninsular
14 July 2019 | Northwestern Glacier
13 July 2019 | Kenai Penninsular
12 July 2019 | Pilot Harbor, Kenai Peninsular
11 July 2019 | Kenai Peninsular
10 July 2019 | Kenai Peninsular
09 July 2019 | Afognak Island
08 July 2019 | Afognak Island
06 July 2019 | Afognak Island
05 July 2019 | Kodiak Island

Around Santa Marta

17 August 2012 | Tayrona and Minca
We have been in Columbia now for almost 3 months and most of that time has been spent either in or around Santa Marta. In July Spruce and Zenna joined us at Marina Santa Marta and we took the opportunity to head inland for a couple of nights to Minca. For us it was a second visit having first explored it with Vicky and Bob on Foxy. It was then that we met Leila and Guilame who have a small art/craft gallery called Ecoarte Casa Taller and discovered that Leila runs classes in bookmaking. I had followed up with Leila and arranged a class for us. The plan was for the three girls to spend an afternoon making books and for the blokes to chill or do whatever they do.

A taxi to Minca is around 30,000. We had two rickety jeeps collect us from the marina and drive us there for 10,000 a head - so basically the same. We stayed at Casa Loma for the views and organised our days so that we had minimal climbs up and down the 250 stairs to the hostel (worth every step when you get to the top).

Our afternoon through to evening session with Leila was a lot of fun and we each came away with a small perfectly formed and bound book. Leila is a patient and particular teacher and ensured our finished products were something to be proud of. She and Guilame are delightful people and have a simple elegance in all that they do, including the garden where they grow and sell arugula and avocados, and it was a pleasure to spend time with them. Link to Ecoarte

While we made books the boys headed to town and waited for us to join them for dinner. We took longer than expected and by the time we returned they were well watered and hungry. We had dinner late in a cafe called el Mox Mica remarkable for its perfectly round front door. The food was good too.

Next day we walked to the cascades about 5 km out of town. The walk is pleasant along a dirt road that winds through forest and in and out of rural areas. The last stretch winds around a hill, with huts and restaurants below and pasture above, to a series of pools and a gushing, slightly chilly waterfall - welcome after a warm walk.

The final evening we spent lounging around the hostel watching the sunset. It was Sue's birthday the next day and she was champing at the bit for an upmarket meal. By the time we arrived back at the boats that idea had gone to pot and it wasn't until they reached Cartegena a few weeks on that she finally got her dinner.

Tayrona Park



Three days after our return from Cuidad Perdida (see separate entry), we headed with Spruce and their two companions Ed and Fay from Casa Loma to the bays of Tayrona Park for 10 days. There are 5 bays in all but with northerly winds and swell we decided to spend the first few nights in Ensenada Gairaca. Spruce arrived before us and we both secured an anchorage in a nook on the inside east end of the bay thinking this would shelter us fom the swell and winds. Swell yes, winds no, at least not at night. The katabatic winds were phenomenal, blasting us with gusts that felt like 50+ knots but because they were dumping the strain on our anchor was minimal. Even so, the strain on us listening to that at night was wearing. The bay is relatively isolated with the exception of Ronaldo who has a habit of rowing out to boats in his canoe and having a chat and collecting boat cards. He has been doing it for a while with cards back to 1990.

There are nice walks along the beach and into the bays but Ed and Fay on Spruce found out on the second day that our boat permits were only valid on the water and we were not to walk on the beaches or hike unless we had individual permits for the park. While this is fair enough since tourists coming from land have to pay, for us it posed a problem because we were unable to get to the park entrance to obtain passes. In effect, we were prisoners on our boats - albiet very comfortable prisons. After 3 nights of being battered by wind Spruce up-anchored and moved to Ensenada Chengue. We stayed put, planning to join them the following day at Ensenada Concha. Spruce thought the snorkelling was better at Chengue but they were hit by swell and the reef made the anchorage uncomfortable. Our only regret with staying at Gairaca was not trying the south west corner of the bay. Although counterinutive given the direction of the trades and swell it may have been a more comfortable site and we saw two boats anchor off the beach there. In fact, this is roughly the position we ended up anchoring in Concha. The first night we anchored off a fishman's hut on the east shore near Spruce but the wind turned south west and blew us around on our anchor to be uncomfortably close to the rocky cliff. That plus an early morning signal from the fisherman that they were putting out their nets had us haul the anchor and head towards the beach for another site. We anchored in 6-7 metres of water off the beach. This bay is popular with tourists and between 10am and 4pm is crowded with swimmers. Before and after though we had it to oursleves and it is a very pretty beach with better snorkelling. Sue topped the snorkelling off by finding a seahorse.

Spruce headed back after 3 nights and we again stayed for another day. There was some filming going on in the bay and an imitation minature submarine was being towed around with an intermittent flurry of activity - a lot of fun to watch. The only incident which left us a little weary was what we surmise was two boys pulling down our swim ladder, taking a shower with our deck shower, and stting in our cockpit. Nothing was touched otherwise but it was uncomfortable and left us thinking we would anchor further out next time.
Comments
Vessel Name: Iolea
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 49
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Paul and Kate
About: We are an Australian couple on a 2003 Hylas 49 and have been cruising from the Caribbean to the South Pacific since 2010. We are now in Alaska after 6 years in the tropical Pacific
Social:
Iolea's Photos - Main
Alaska 2019
57 Photos
Created 18 July 2019
46 Photos
Created 13 July 2017
10 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 13 July 2017
25 Photos
Created 22 June 2017
2 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 22 April 2017
26 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 26 October 2016
61 Photos
Created 6 August 2016
16 Photos
Created 16 June 2015
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 20 March 2015
20 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
22 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 9 June 2013
39 Photos
Created 14 March 2013
36 Photos
Created 28 January 2013
Another visit to Minca and 10 days anchoring in Tayrona Park
34 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 18 August 2012
6 day hike to Cuidad Perdida (the Lost City) in Columbia
39 Photos
Created 17 August 2012
Today we took a taxi with bob and Vicky from FoxSea to the foothills of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta to a place called Minca. It sits in heavy rainforest. Basic concete dwellings ,cafes, and restaurants and music and children everywhere. We visited a local artist, Leila, and her agronomist husband Guillame and I plan to take an afternoon class with her to make paper and build a visual diary - I'm looking forward to it, they are delightful people. Above the town via the stairs next to the church, across the concrete basketball field for the high school and up 200 stairs sits a hostel with hammocks, cold beer and views to the coast. Its run by Stephanie who is English and a refugee from London. Her dog Lola took us for a walk through the forest earlier in the day - very deliberate and well mannered
5 Photos
Created 19 June 2012
The colour of the sunset is not enhanced. That is how it looked - blood red. The remaining three photos are arriving in Santa Marta
9 Photos
Created 19 June 2012
From the top
11 Photos
Created 19 June 2012
3 months in Bonaire
17 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 3 June 2012
Will get to this tomorrow
22 Photos
Created 29 February 2012
6 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
8 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
5 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
3 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
Life in Chaguaramas
15 Photos
Created 20 September 2011
Grenada friends and tours
13 Photos
Created 19 August 2011
23 Photos
Created 18 August 2011
US Virgin islands to Grenada
90 Photos
Created 31 May 2011
photos of artworks
43 Photos
Created 17 May 2011
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 21 April 2011
Our Boat
16 Photos
Created 16 February 2011
From West End to the South Exumas
93 Photos
Created 16 February 2011
The garage
22 Photos
Created 31 January 2011