02 June 2013
14 April 2011 | Peakes Boatyard, Chaguaramas, Trinidad
09 April 2011 | Peakes Boatyard, Chaguaramas, Trinidad
05 April 2011 | Peakes Boatyard, Chaguaramas, Trinidad
04 April 2011 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
28 March 2011 | Saga Bay, Grenada
27 March 2011 | Clarkes Court Bay, Grenada
25 March 2011 | St Georges, Grenada
18 March 2011 | Sun Bay, Vieques
16 March 2011 | Puerto Patillas
15 March 2011 | Cayo Puerca Mangrove, Puerto Rico
07 March 2011 | Salinas
06 March 2011 | Cayos Enrique, La Parguera
04 March 2011 | Boqueron
03 March 2011 | Mona Island, Puerto Rico
01 March 2011 | La Romana
24 February 2011 | Bayahibe
21 February 2011 | Saona

END OF AN ERA

02 June 2013
Irony now has a new owner and is tucked up safely in Spice Island Marine for hurricane season. We have been living on her almost 11 years since July 2002. She has kept us safe and been the catalyst for a decade of amazing adventures. On to a new chapter for us and for her.

Our new website is www.CutlerChronicles.com

IT'S A HARD LIFE

14 April 2011 | Peakes Boatyard, Chaguaramas, Trinidad
Michele/sun & rainshowers
Nearly a week on and we are making progress, sort of, although Irony is looking worse every day. Allen Downden's team have sanded the topsides and, despite daily delays due to rain, have sprayed two coats of primer. they are currently sanding and filling ready to do the top coats. Roger is still sanding away the barnacles on the bottom, hampered by the work going on above him. We've also deconstructed the inside of the boat and sent off the saloon table, chart table and 5 pieces of flooring to be stripped and re-varnished. The heat, humidity and dust have been overwhelming but we have had air-conditioning installed today which should make life more bearable.

HARD TIMES

09 April 2011 | Peakes Boatyard, Chaguaramas, Trinidad
Michele/clear and sunny
Nic has done as much as possible in the keel box so it was time to move to a new position in the yard. Peakes were incredibly helpful (as always) in re-organising the travel lift schedule so we could move this morning instead of yesterday. We are spending the weekend preparing the boat for the team to start on painting our topsides on Monday. The days are long (12+ hours) and it's hot and humid here, not much fun, nor is living on the boat out of the water in a dusty boatyard.

HAULED OUT

05 April 2011 | Peakes Boatyard, Chaguaramas, Trinidad
Michele/clear and sunny
An early start with Nic going off to get a second load of cheap fuel from the fishing dock. He wants to leave the tanks full while we are away to avoid condensation and with the torrential rain we had yesterday afternoon, only one trip was possible.
We were in the travel lift and out of the water just after 8am. Then came the pressure wash, tragic to see hundreds of dollars of paint being washed off! The hull is in reasonable condition although with two colours of antifounling showing through spattered with the white calcified remains of our barnacles it has an interesting look.
We were moved to our first position here, over the drainage ditch by the front gate. We attract a lot of attention here because it's not a normal place for boats - it's a temporary spot for us to work on the keel.

LAST SAIL

04 April 2011 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
Michele/clear and sunny
As we set sail from Grenada yesterday afternoon we realised that this would be our last sail on Irony until we return from our trip across the Pacific on Spiip. It's odd to think we will be leaving her for such a long time after almost 9 years of living onboard. It was good therefore that we had a fast and pleasant trip here to Chaguaramas. The winds were favourable and the seas were relatively calm considering the high winds that have been blowing all week. We actually arrived earlier than expected, before dawn. Our haul out is scheduled for 9am tomorrow morning so we have to hit the ground running today.

MOVE TO OUR "WORK SPOT"

28 March 2011 | Saga Bay, Grenada
Michele/clear and sunny
A quick move across the bay to our usual spot here! The anchorage is less rolly, there's free internet and it's nice a breezy. Time to start painting the cockpit which we didn't get to last summer.
Vessel Name: Irony
Vessel Make/Model: Joubert-Nivelt steel ketch
Hailing Port: London
Crew: Nic and Michele Cutler
About:
Nic and Michele Cutler have been living on their steel ketch, Irony, since July 2002. They have sailed around the Mediterranean and down to the Red Sea. In 2008 they left the Mediterranean for Morocco and the Canaries. They crossed the Atlantic in Feb 2009 after visiting Senegal & the Gambia. [...]
Extra: CLICK TO SEE FULL MAP IN "CURRENT POSITION" AND SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE "GOOGLE EARTH" LINK. CLICK ON THAT TO DOWNLOAD A FILE AND SEE OUR POSITION IN GOOGLE EARTH
Home Page: www.ironylondon.com

About Irony

Who: Nic and Michele Cutler
Port: London
WHERE WE HAVE SAILED SINCE 2002
View Route in a larger map