02 June 2013
14 April 2011 | Peakes Boatyard, Chaguaramas, Trinidad
09 April 2011 | Peakes Boatyard, Chaguaramas, Trinidad
05 April 2011 | Peakes Boatyard, Chaguaramas, Trinidad
04 April 2011 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
28 March 2011 | Saga Bay, Grenada
27 March 2011 | Clarkes Court Bay, Grenada
25 March 2011 | St Georges, Grenada
18 March 2011 | Sun Bay, Vieques
16 March 2011 | Puerto Patillas
15 March 2011 | Cayo Puerca Mangrove, Puerto Rico
07 March 2011 | Salinas
06 March 2011 | Cayos Enrique, La Parguera
04 March 2011 | Boqueron
03 March 2011 | Mona Island, Puerto Rico
01 March 2011 | La Romana
24 February 2011 | Bayahibe
21 February 2011 | Saona

ROLL, ROLL, ROLL YOUR BOAT

11 February 2011 | Cap Cana Marina, Dominican Republic
Michele/clear and sunny
Light winds and a good sized following sea ensured a rolly passage to the Dominican Republic. On the first evening we had a minor galley disaster when a milk jug got knocked off a shelf in the fridge door spilling milk over everything in the fridge and even underneath it! Otherwise it was a pretty relaxed time. On the first night we saw the glow of what we thought were the Spanish Virgin Islands on the horizon. As we got closer to the east end of Puerto Rico we realised they were cruise ships, probably using more power than the average Caribbean island!
On reaching the western end of Puerto Rico the waves increased and we started our transit into the Mona Passage. It has quite reputation for being a particularly rough stretch of water. It is home to the 2nd deepest trench in the world (over 7,000 metres) which then hits "shoals" of 100 metres or less creating turbulent water. Typically we didn't have the predicted winds and instead of 10 knots we had gusts of up to 35 knots as we started approaching Cap Cana and the offshore reefs in the dark. Irony was racing along at over 7 knots and we were forced to do a sail change to slow our speed down so that we would not arrive before daylight and the marina opening.
Having made contact with the marina they sent out a pilot boat to guide us in through the narrow passage in the reefs. The powerful rib was airborne as it headed into 3+ metre waves to greet us and Irony surfed her way into the marina entrance. First we had to moor on the fuel dock where we had 7 officials (a record for us) board the boat to fill out forms and inspect the boat. Once that was completed we were headed to our berth.
The architect of this resort, still being constructed, is obviously trying to create some sort of Venice look-alike. Short concrete finger pontoons are bordered by 2 rows of wooden piles. The width is narrow and makes manoeuvring in anything but a motor boat or a sailboat with a bow thruster impossible. Once you have started into the berth through the piles there is no room for any sideways slip and no return. Unfortunately we were attempting this with 20 knot crosswinds and initially only one person on the dock to help. Had Nic not just done a 48 hour passage and been more awake, he would have said it was impossible without more assistance. Tired, we attempted it and, although we made it in, we scraped against the piles (unavoidable) and have damaged our paintwork. We learnt today that a motor boat coming in was advised not to enter the marina because the conditions were too dangerous. Even coming in today, in total calm, he was very nervous. Not a marina to be recommended for any long keeled boats that cannot reverse in a straight line!
So here we are, lots of cleaning and tidying for our friends who arrive this afternoon. We are looking forward to exploring the Dominican Republic for the next couple of weeks.
Comments
Vessel Name: Irony
Vessel Make/Model: Joubert-Nivelt steel ketch
Hailing Port: London
Crew: Nic and Michele Cutler
About:
Nic and Michele Cutler have been living on their steel ketch, Irony, since July 2002. They have sailed around the Mediterranean and down to the Red Sea. In 2008 they left the Mediterranean for Morocco and the Canaries. They crossed the Atlantic in Feb 2009 after visiting Senegal & the Gambia. [...]
Extra: CLICK TO SEE FULL MAP IN "CURRENT POSITION" AND SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE "GOOGLE EARTH" LINK. CLICK ON THAT TO DOWNLOAD A FILE AND SEE OUR POSITION IN GOOGLE EARTH
Home Page: www.ironylondon.com

About Irony

Who: Nic and Michele Cutler
Port: London
WHERE WE HAVE SAILED SINCE 2002
View Route in a larger map