Sailing the Caribbean

17 November 2023 | New Braunfels Texas
14 August 2023 | New Braunfels
11 February 2023 | Turtle Grass Marina Calablash Bight Roatan Honduras
25 December 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
31 October 2022 | New Braunfels, Texas
07 August 2022 | Gruene New Braunfels Texas
13 June 2022 | Home in New Braunfels
16 April 2022 | The Reserve Marina Sapodilla Lagoon, Beilize
19 February 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
15 December 2021 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce, Guatemala
29 October 2021 | New Braunfels, Texaa
13 August 2021 | New Braunfels, Texas
30 May 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
17 March 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
14 December 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
28 September 2020 | New Braunfels, Texaa
10 June 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
19 May 2020 | The Reserve Marina in Sapodilla Lagoon in Belize

A Roller Coaster Visit to the USA

31 August 2013 | Miami Beach
Bert - Partly Clouded
We planned a long time ago our trip home to the USA to visit our children and grandchildren, family and friends and have a check-up with our doctors. Since our family lives in Texas, a lot of our friends in South Florida and current doctors are in the Miami area we split the trip in two parts. We left Grenada after leaving our boat in good hands with Sean on August 6. We stayed for 2 days in Miami to drop off all kind of items we did not need on the boat anymore and do the blood work for our health check. Our dear friends Barbara and Scott offered us a great place to stay in Key Biscayne and they organized a dinner get-together with Gail and David, who recently returned from their Caribbean cruising trip to have a nice evening with cruisers stories. You can find their blog at http://www.sailblogs.com/member/wildestdream47/ and read some amazing stories.

On August 8 we flew to Texas and our son Robert picked us up from the airport in Austin to drive to his home in New Braunfels. It was so great to see the family again after such a long time. The children have grown so much and it was hard to realize how much we have missed by not being close to them. Jack and Max are very good wake boarders and spend all their free time at the Texas Ski Ranch http://www.texasskiranch.com/. The Texas Ski Ranch is a 70-acre action sports paradise that has something for everyone. You can spend the day out on the cable lake wakeboarding and water-skiing, hit the skate park, rock climb or simply lounge around snacking on the best fish tacos in town. In the picture segment of our blog we have posted some pictures of our grandsons Jack and Max that show a few of the most daring tricks they are doing on the boards. We spent several days along the lake in over 100 degree temperatures to watch the boys and their friends on the water. We took our granddaughters Kristin and Katelynn to this place and they spent a lot of time in the skate park on the trampolines.

We met the girlfriend of our oldest grandson Justin and visited the house they just rented in one of the older subdivisions of New Braunfels close to the famous Landa Park and Comal River. Justin is so proud of his new home and we wholeheartedly share that feeling. Robert our son was training very hard in preparation of the Vancouver Triathlon that was held on August 25. Unfortunately he got an injury after completing the swimming and biking part half way the marathon and had to drop out. Jack and Max in the meantime found a new sport in the mountains that is called downhill bike crossing.

We did some sightseeing trips in the Texas Hill Country and realized again how beautiful Texas is. We passed along Medina Lake and saw with our own eyes the impact of the incredible drought in Texas over the last 5 years. The lake is only filled for 4% and it is horrible to see the lake at this stage. We had our home on the lake for over 11 years and with so many great memories of a full lake it is hard to see it in its current condition. We visited the San Antonio River that is one of the great tourist attractions and it is still a very nice place to visit and the river conditions are so very much improved that you can feed an abundance of fish and ducks. We had a great time visiting friends including our former neighbor Robbie who was in the hospital recovering after a knee replacement.

When we lived in San Antonio Sea World was built in 1988 and encroaching in our neighborhood that turned a few streets into dead ends. Robert our son skied professionally for many years in Sea World and thanks to the fact that the park was so close by we attended many shows, got to know many skiers and a few even lived in our house and many of them call us mom and dad. The skiers of the 1988 "class" organized a reunion that was attended by many skiers with their families; we attended a few of the events. It was great to see these people again and hear about their accomplishments in life.

Then it was time to return to Miami and start the visits to our doctors. For me it was all great news until my visit to the world famous Bascom Palmer Eye Institute where my doctor, the Director of this Institute confirmed to me what I already expected that my current (5th!) corneal transplant is in rejection and I will lose eyesight in my left eye again. We set up a plan for comfort treatment and hope that the inflammation can be controlled. However, the biggest setback on this great and pleasant trip was when my heart specialist discovered a few tumors in my right lung that he expected to be an indication of lung cancer. To complete all the needed tests including a needle biopsy we had to cancel our trip back to Grenada, but the test concluded that the tumor is benign and no immediate surgery is needed. I need to have regular CAT scans to keep a close eye on this tumor. We stayed with our friends Gail and David and when I needed to visit the Mount Sinai Medical Center our friend Bryan allowed us to stay in his condo in Miami Beach. To get away from the depressing feelings during the testing and waiting for results we visited The Florida Keys including Key West over the weekend. It is for us always a fun thing to visit Key West. Besides the normal tourist areas we visited the African Cemetery and this is the story about this historic location:

"In the spring of 1860, three slave ships intercepted by the US Navy in its efforts to stop the illegal trade in humans were brought to Key West. These American-owned ships were bound for Cuba, where the slave cargo was to be sold to the thriving sugar plantations. A total of 1,432 Africans arrived from these ships, and they came with nothing. The 3,000 citizens of the island, led by United States Marshal Fernando Moreno, came together and built housing, donated clothing, and provided food and medical attention for them during their stay. For eighty-five days the newly liberated refugees found shelter at Key West. But because of the horrific conditions they suffered aboard the slave ships, many of the Africans were quite ill, and 295 of them died. They were buried in shallow sand graves on the southern shore of the island."

The adjacent fort is now a botanical garden; it is very beautiful and a pleasure to visit. We visited Big Pine Key and saw a few nice houses we might consider after our sailing days are over, but still want to live close to the water with a small boat.

We met many of our friends and former co-workers and we spoke many times on the phone with our friend Nelson who was in the hospital for many days to support his 85 year old dad who had open heart surgery and his stories about his dad helped me a lot to turn my negative and depressed feelings around.

On Saturday Bryan invited us to visit the Fairchild Tropical Garden which has as its mission to save tropical plant diversity by exploring, explaining and conserving the word of tropical plants. The garden has recently opened a new exposition with non-local butterflies in an enclosed environment into the addition of their outside local butterflies. The garden is 83 acres area with lakes, tram tours and walking tours. The plants and trees are collected from all around the world and the garden has field programs in over 20 countries and botanic garden development and renovation projects in South and Central America, the Caribbean and the Middle East. The garden has trees and plants distinct in their original location. This was a wonderful experience and a great conclusion of our trip back to the US.

And with the outlook to continue our adventures we will fly back to Grenada and our dear Island Girl on Sunday, September 1, 2013.

Comments
Vessel Name: Island Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38
Hailing Port: Miami Beach, FL
Crew: Dorothy and Bert Dorrestyn
About:
Dorothy and Bert retired after 45 years in the work force. After many years of traveling all over the world we settled in The United States and lived in San Antonio, Mico all in Texas. [...]
Home Page: https://www.facebook.com/
Social:
Island Girl's Photos - Main
16 Photos
Created 21 February 2024
15 Photos
Created 16 November 2023
42 Photos
Created 14 August 2023
Our 2022 Trip from New Braunfels to Rio Dulce, Guatemala
14 Photos
Created 25 December 2022
13 Photos
Created 6 August 2022
31 Photos
Created 15 April 2022
17 Photos
Created 19 February 2022
32 Photos
Created 15 December 2021
27 Photos
Created 28 October 2021
14 Photos
Created 12 August 2021
20 Photos
Created 30 May 2021
25 Photos
Created 17 March 2021
5 Photos
Created 10 June 2020
16 Photos
Created 19 May 2020
29 Photos
Created 26 March 2020
18 Photos
Created 22 February 2020
21 Photos
Created 27 December 2019
19 Photos
Created 12 October 2019
The building of our new home
34 Photos
Created 12 August 2019
31 Photos
Created 8 May 2019
32 Photos
Created 26 February 2019
11 Photos
Created 10 December 2018
8 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 9 August 2018
23 Photos
Created 30 June 2018
32 Photos
Created 4 June 2018
26 Photos
Created 1 April 2018
50 Photos
Created 16 January 2018
14 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
71 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
26 Photos
Created 13 October 2017
16 Photos
Created 3 September 2017
Guatemala and Back to Texas in June 2017
37 Photos
Created 18 June 2017
32 Photos
Created 20 May 2017
26 Photos
Created 12 May 2017
Our Visit to Guanaja Honduras
34 Photos
Created 30 April 2017
Our visit to Isla San Andres Colombia in March 2017
38 Photos
Created 21 March 2017
37 Photos
Created 17 February 2017
37 Photos
Created 13 January 2017
67 Photos
Created 4 December 2016
37 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
32 Photos
Created 9 October 2016
12 Photos
Created 18 August 2016
2016 Visit to Texas
42 Photos
Created 28 June 2016
22 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
15 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
30 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
28 Photos
Created 23 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
38 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
31 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
21 Photos
Created 21 April 2016
29 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
43 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
24 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
30 Photos
Created 2 February 2016
26 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
17 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 January 2016
43 Photos
Created 18 December 2015
Our visit to Cartagena des Indias in November 2015
52 Photos
Created 25 November 2015
47 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
26 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
Visit to Bogota October 20 - 23 2015
53 Photos
Created 26 October 2015
39 Photos
Created 7 October 2015
Bonaire 2015
17 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Grenada 2015
20 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Trip from St. Lucia to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 23 June 2015
28 Photos
Created 29 May 2015
30 Photos
Created 14 May 2015
Dominica 2015
28 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
Les Saintes Guadeloupe
32 Photos
Created 20 April 2015
Leaving Antigua back to Guadeloupe
33 Photos
Created 30 March 2015
ntigua and Barbuda
28 Photos
Created 1 March 2015
Saba, the Unspoiled Queen
31 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
St. Croix to St. Maarten Simpson Bay
23 Photos
Created 11 January 2015
Farewell Bonaire and Hello St. Croix
28 Photos
Created 15 December 2014
36 Photos
Created 23 November 2014
Bonaire – Our First Month
39 Photos
Created 24 October 2014
22 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 August 2014
19 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
Sailing South from St Lucia to Grenada
38 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
Sailing South from Antigua to St. Lucia
22 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
Our visit to Antigua
41 Photos
Created 24 April 2014
Sailing North from Martinique to Antigua
26 Photos
Created 9 April 2014
Sailing North Trinidad to Martinique
11 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
Trinidad Land Trip and Haul-out
30 Photos
Created 13 March 2014
Trinidad Carnival
33 Photos
Created 11 March 2014
Trinidad a Lot of Work and Some Fun
39 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
Tobago
43 Photos
Created 6 February 2014
Farewell Suriname – Back to the Caribbean
44 Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Suriname - Back Home
47 Photos
Created 5 January 2014
Suriname - The Re-discovery Continued
34 Photos
Created 24 November 2013
Suriname - “A sentimental journey to renew old memories”
34 Photos
Created 2 November 2013
Bartica and Georgetown – Guyana
49 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
Guyana Essequibo River
18 Photos
Created 11 October 2013
Living in Grenada
31 Photos
Created 28 September 2013
A Roller Coaster Visit to the USA
45 Photos
Created 31 August 2013
Work and Fun in Grenada
30 Photos
Created 20 July 2013
Grenada 6/26/2013 - 7/8/2013
36 Photos
Created 8 July 2013
Moving fast to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 28 June 2013
St. Lucia
44 Photos
Created 16 June 2013
Martinique
42 Photos
Created 4 June 2013
St. Pierre - Martinique
49 Photos
Created 24 May 2013
Dominica
37 Photos
Created 16 May 2013
Marie Galante and The Saints
27 Photos
Created 7 May 2013
Guadeloupe Land Trips
43 Photos
Created 30 April 2013
Nevis, Montserrat, Guadeloupe
43 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
St. Christopher - St. Kitts
30 Photos
Created 13 April 2013
St. Eustatius
44 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
St. Barthelemy – St. Barth
33 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
St. Maarten - St. Martin
46 Photos
Created 26 March 2013
British Virgin Islands Continued
37 Photos
Created 15 March 2013
British Virgin Islands
25 Photos
Created 8 March 2013
St. John - US Virgin Islands
28 Photos
Created 2 March 2013
St. Thomas US Virgin Islands
26 Photos
Created 21 February 2013
Spanish Virgin Islands
32 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
41 Photos
Created 5 February 2013
24 Photos
Created 31 January 2013
Dominican Republic Land Trip
43 Photos
Created 16 January 2013
Luperon Dominican Republic
9 Photos
Created 5 January 2013
Turks and Caicos Sapodilla Bay
9 Photos
Created 30 December 2012
George Town Exumas
16 Photos
Created 24 December 2012
Preparations and departure
7 Photos
Created 7 December 2012
Bert and Dorothy Dorrestyn, The Crew of Island Girl
7 Photos
Created 20 October 2012
Haul-out
6 Photos
Created 13 October 2012