Sailing the Caribbean

17 November 2023 | New Braunfels Texas
14 August 2023 | New Braunfels
11 February 2023 | Turtle Grass Marina Calablash Bight Roatan Honduras
25 December 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
31 October 2022 | New Braunfels, Texas
07 August 2022 | Gruene New Braunfels Texas
13 June 2022 | Home in New Braunfels
16 April 2022 | The Reserve Marina Sapodilla Lagoon, Beilize
19 February 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
15 December 2021 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce, Guatemala
29 October 2021 | New Braunfels, Texaa
13 August 2021 | New Braunfels, Texas
30 May 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
17 March 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
14 December 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
28 September 2020 | New Braunfels, Texaa
10 June 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
19 May 2020 | The Reserve Marina in Sapodilla Lagoon in Belize

Trinidad a Lot of Work and Some Fun

19 February 2014 | Trinidad - Coral Cove Marina
Bert - Partly Clouded Warm 25 kn East Trade Wind
I started writing this blog about our adventures in Trinidad on Saturday February 15, 2014 just after we came back from Port of Spain doing grocery shopping. I know that I will not finish this blog this weekend since on Sunday we will attend the National Panorama Semi-Finals 2014 for medium and large steel bands in Queen's Park Savannah. On Saturday the single and small bands will compete and Sunday the medium and large bands category. This is a large event in preparation of the Carnival on March 3 and 4. The other musical competitions are Soca and Calypso. Watching the news on TV or opening a newspaper the most important news is about the large parade on March 4, the route this parade will follow and the competitions. The Prime Minister and her cabinet members are daily involved in discussions about this event. Besides being a very important local event Carnival is also a large tourist attraction. It is very hard to find hotel rooms, slips in a marina and even mooring and anchoring spaces are limited. Many people with their boat on the hard are staying on board with all the limitations and inconveniences. We have also planned our haul-out directly after Carnival for the bottom painting and some adjustments to the stuffing box since it is leaking more than I like. For non-boaters a stuffing box is an assembly which is used to house a gland seal and it is used to prevent leakage of water where the shaft goes through the hull.

We left Tobago on February 2 at 6:00PM and arrived the next morning at 6:00 AM in Trinidad. The night crossing was interesting since we had three distinct different sailing conditions. We left Tobago with wind completely from behind and the current pushed us off into the ocean. The north/east swell was about 6 ft. with relative short wind waves on top and we were rolling very uncomfortably but we had a good speed of about 6 KN. Due to the current we were heading to Grenada instead of Trinidad so we had to jibe which brought the swell more from behind but the current against which made a very comfortable ride but at a lot lower speed over the ground. Then the wind dropped and the rain started. Before the rain started we had some moonlight from the first quarter moon and many light from villages along the north shore of Trinidad, but then it became completely dark with no visibility. We went down into the cabin to stay out of the rain. When we approached the Bocademonos Channel on the North/West side of Trinidad the top on the mountains became visible due to some light behind these mountains. It was not the first daylight it was still too early for that, but the lights from all the oil supporting vessels, marinas, boat yards and even the city of Port of Spain. When I angled the boat to a strait heading through the channel I just headed for a large oil platform vessel and together with my chart plotter I could sail in the dark through this relatively narrow channel into the Gulf of Paria. We put Island Girl on a mooring ball and used the dinghy to go to shore to clear customs and immigration. The customs officer was so nice to remind us that we were half an hour too early for normal business hours and if we waited we did not have to pay the overtime fee. At 10:00 AM we checked in the marina called Coral Cove. Since electricity is included in the relatively low dockage fee in this marina we turned on the air conditioner for the first time since we left Miami Beach on December 6, 2012 to get rid of the high humidity in the boat and for the time being we are living on an air-conditioned boat.

We directly started with all the needed repairs. The sail maker came to collect the main sail and we received an estimate for the repairs on our dodger and bimini. The next day we took the dodger and bimini off and dropped it off at the canvas shop. To finally get a solution for the ongoing problems of having insufficient power in our batteries, we checked with an electric contractor and after he looked at the system he agreed with me that it was a mess and in some places even dangerous. Island Girl is 23 years old and the previous owners have added many modern systems to the boat and I installed solar panels, a wind generator, refrigerator and freezer. All these additions and changes were not very well integrated and it was very confusing how to operate the system. Especially power generation that is very important on a sailboat with all the equipment that needs so much power was a problem and it happened too many times that we had to use the generator to keep the batteries at a good level. The power management systems were not properly installed and gave wrong information as well. We worked four days on the re-design and installation of the new electrical system and the results are very good. So although we are now already 2 weeks in Trinidad we have not seen too much of this beautiful island. We hope that before this week is over we have completed most of the work and can start making some trips.

Our marina Coral Cove is in Chaguaramas Bay that was a major base for the Americans during World War II and over 30,000 troops were stationed here. Chaguaramas Bay is in a hilly country and from the anchorage you have a beautiful view of several islands and the hills. Chaguaramas has now 13 large boat yards, marinas and maintenance facilities for both the commercial, recreational, fishery and oil industries. On every ship yard you will find the facilities of all the private contractors and marine stores. If you do not find what you need for your boat here in Chaguaramas it does not exist. At the same time Chaguaramas is a national park. The park includes the entire Chaguaramas Peninsula including outer islands. The park has beautiful trails with the longest from the very isolated Scotland Bay to Macqueripe Bay. In the Crewsinn Marina is a Dutch decommisioned Minesweeper “Van Straelen”. As part of a NATO agreement the Dutch Navy commissioned the “Van Straelen Class” minesweepers in the beginning of the 1960’s and built 16 of them. The ships were decommisioned in 1984 and 2 of them are still in use by private citizens. The current owners invited us to come to see the ship next week after some repairs are done.

On the first Saturday in Trinidad we took to bus to Port of Spain which is about 10 miles away from Chaguaramas. In the time I worked and lived in the Caribbean I visited Trinidad many times and Trinidad was actually the first place I landed in 1968 on my way to Suriname. I was amazed how few of the places in Port of Spain I remembered. Even the old city has changed so much that it took me some time to recognize the beautiful old buildings and parks. The Red House is the seat of Parliament in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. The architectural design of the Red House is of Greek revival style. The original building was destroyed in the 1903 water riots and was rebuilt in the year 1907. The Red House is located centrally within the capital city Port of Spain. It is currently used as a meeting place for parliament and elections and for political uses. The building is currently undergoing major restoration and to be able to fix the roof the majority of the building is covered with a temporary metal cover. The old city is still the best place to walk around. The historic buildings are surrounded by new developments with a lot of small stores and street vendors. Streets are connected with small malls where you enter the mall on one street and exit on the next. Outside Port of Spain Trinidad has large American size malls like the new West Mall with the most modern shops and a huge selection of articles. Since both Dorothy and I are not really crazy about shopping we just walked through the mall on our way to the grocery store. We really liked what is called Independent Square which is actually a long road with a very wide median for pedestrians with benches and of course food stands. The other nice historical parks in downtown Port of Spain are Woodford and Victoria Squares. In preparation of Carnival there is a free daily concert of famous Soca singers and dancers during lunch hour in Woodford Square.

On Sunday February 16, 2014 we attended the National Panorama Semi-Finals 2014 for medium and large steel bands in Queen's Park Savannah. The program started at noon with 14 medium size bands and continued with 15 large size bands. For me the big question was what is medium and what is large. We counted over 40 musicians in the medium bands and 100 in the large bands. The sound is overwhelming and is not supported by loudspeakers. We were sitting in the Grand Stand just behind the jury box and it was like we were surrounded by the music. These players are not only playing the pans but are dancing sometimes even on top of the pans. It was one of the most amazing music performances we have ever attended. Unfortunately one was not allowed to take pictures so I only have some pictures using my small camera. Since we were part of a group we left the concert at 10 PM while 3 bands still needed to perform. Although most of the bands are sponsored by large organizations, it is still a community’s effort and it is amazing how a band with an allotted playing time of 8 minutes can set up all the instruments, play and leave the podium within 20 minutes without any leader giving instructions. When we came back in the boat we watched the last band on television and the concert ended at 11:00 PM. It is absolutely amazing to have 29 performances in 11 hours.

Like I mentioned before, B-Mobile sponsors every day during lunch hour from 12:00 to 1:00PM a Soca concert. This “Soca in B-Square” concert is broadcasted live on TV with a rerun in the evening. This morning we took the maxi bus to Port of Spain to attend a Soca Lunch concert. We had a place just in front of the stage and we were able to get some free goodies. We are not really Soca music fans, but to be part of this concert is something different. The atmosphere is unbelievable and the energy of these performers is quite contagious. Most people attending are really office workers using their lunch break to enjoy the free concert.

We are looking forward to the Calypso Monarch Finals on Sunday March 2, 2014 and we will share our experience with you in our next blog.
Comments
Vessel Name: Island Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38
Hailing Port: Miami Beach, FL
Crew: Dorothy and Bert Dorrestyn
About:
Dorothy and Bert retired after 45 years in the work force. After many years of traveling all over the world we settled in The United States and lived in San Antonio, Mico all in Texas. [...]
Home Page: https://www.facebook.com/
Social:
Island Girl's Photos - Main
16 Photos
Created 21 February 2024
15 Photos
Created 16 November 2023
42 Photos
Created 14 August 2023
Our 2022 Trip from New Braunfels to Rio Dulce, Guatemala
14 Photos
Created 25 December 2022
13 Photos
Created 6 August 2022
31 Photos
Created 15 April 2022
17 Photos
Created 19 February 2022
32 Photos
Created 15 December 2021
27 Photos
Created 28 October 2021
14 Photos
Created 12 August 2021
20 Photos
Created 30 May 2021
25 Photos
Created 17 March 2021
5 Photos
Created 10 June 2020
16 Photos
Created 19 May 2020
29 Photos
Created 26 March 2020
18 Photos
Created 22 February 2020
21 Photos
Created 27 December 2019
19 Photos
Created 12 October 2019
The building of our new home
34 Photos
Created 12 August 2019
31 Photos
Created 8 May 2019
32 Photos
Created 26 February 2019
11 Photos
Created 10 December 2018
8 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 9 August 2018
23 Photos
Created 30 June 2018
32 Photos
Created 4 June 2018
26 Photos
Created 1 April 2018
50 Photos
Created 16 January 2018
14 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
71 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
26 Photos
Created 13 October 2017
16 Photos
Created 3 September 2017
Guatemala and Back to Texas in June 2017
37 Photos
Created 18 June 2017
32 Photos
Created 20 May 2017
26 Photos
Created 12 May 2017
Our Visit to Guanaja Honduras
34 Photos
Created 30 April 2017
Our visit to Isla San Andres Colombia in March 2017
38 Photos
Created 21 March 2017
37 Photos
Created 17 February 2017
37 Photos
Created 13 January 2017
67 Photos
Created 4 December 2016
37 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
32 Photos
Created 9 October 2016
12 Photos
Created 18 August 2016
2016 Visit to Texas
42 Photos
Created 28 June 2016
22 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
15 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
30 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
28 Photos
Created 23 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
38 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
31 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
21 Photos
Created 21 April 2016
29 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
43 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
24 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
30 Photos
Created 2 February 2016
26 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
17 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 January 2016
43 Photos
Created 18 December 2015
Our visit to Cartagena des Indias in November 2015
52 Photos
Created 25 November 2015
47 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
26 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
Visit to Bogota October 20 - 23 2015
53 Photos
Created 26 October 2015
39 Photos
Created 7 October 2015
Bonaire 2015
17 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Grenada 2015
20 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Trip from St. Lucia to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 23 June 2015
28 Photos
Created 29 May 2015
30 Photos
Created 14 May 2015
Dominica 2015
28 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
Les Saintes Guadeloupe
32 Photos
Created 20 April 2015
Leaving Antigua back to Guadeloupe
33 Photos
Created 30 March 2015
ntigua and Barbuda
28 Photos
Created 1 March 2015
Saba, the Unspoiled Queen
31 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
St. Croix to St. Maarten Simpson Bay
23 Photos
Created 11 January 2015
Farewell Bonaire and Hello St. Croix
28 Photos
Created 15 December 2014
36 Photos
Created 23 November 2014
Bonaire – Our First Month
39 Photos
Created 24 October 2014
22 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 August 2014
19 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
Sailing South from St Lucia to Grenada
38 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
Sailing South from Antigua to St. Lucia
22 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
Our visit to Antigua
41 Photos
Created 24 April 2014
Sailing North from Martinique to Antigua
26 Photos
Created 9 April 2014
Sailing North Trinidad to Martinique
11 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
Trinidad Land Trip and Haul-out
30 Photos
Created 13 March 2014
Trinidad Carnival
33 Photos
Created 11 March 2014
Trinidad a Lot of Work and Some Fun
39 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
Tobago
43 Photos
Created 6 February 2014
Farewell Suriname – Back to the Caribbean
44 Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Suriname - Back Home
47 Photos
Created 5 January 2014
Suriname - The Re-discovery Continued
34 Photos
Created 24 November 2013
Suriname - “A sentimental journey to renew old memories”
34 Photos
Created 2 November 2013
Bartica and Georgetown – Guyana
49 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
Guyana Essequibo River
18 Photos
Created 11 October 2013
Living in Grenada
31 Photos
Created 28 September 2013
A Roller Coaster Visit to the USA
45 Photos
Created 31 August 2013
Work and Fun in Grenada
30 Photos
Created 20 July 2013
Grenada 6/26/2013 - 7/8/2013
36 Photos
Created 8 July 2013
Moving fast to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 28 June 2013
St. Lucia
44 Photos
Created 16 June 2013
Martinique
42 Photos
Created 4 June 2013
St. Pierre - Martinique
49 Photos
Created 24 May 2013
Dominica
37 Photos
Created 16 May 2013
Marie Galante and The Saints
27 Photos
Created 7 May 2013
Guadeloupe Land Trips
43 Photos
Created 30 April 2013
Nevis, Montserrat, Guadeloupe
43 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
St. Christopher - St. Kitts
30 Photos
Created 13 April 2013
St. Eustatius
44 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
St. Barthelemy – St. Barth
33 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
St. Maarten - St. Martin
46 Photos
Created 26 March 2013
British Virgin Islands Continued
37 Photos
Created 15 March 2013
British Virgin Islands
25 Photos
Created 8 March 2013
St. John - US Virgin Islands
28 Photos
Created 2 March 2013
St. Thomas US Virgin Islands
26 Photos
Created 21 February 2013
Spanish Virgin Islands
32 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
41 Photos
Created 5 February 2013
24 Photos
Created 31 January 2013
Dominican Republic Land Trip
43 Photos
Created 16 January 2013
Luperon Dominican Republic
9 Photos
Created 5 January 2013
Turks and Caicos Sapodilla Bay
9 Photos
Created 30 December 2012
George Town Exumas
16 Photos
Created 24 December 2012
Preparations and departure
7 Photos
Created 7 December 2012
Bert and Dorothy Dorrestyn, The Crew of Island Girl
7 Photos
Created 20 October 2012
Haul-out
6 Photos
Created 13 October 2012