Sailing the Caribbean

17 November 2023 | New Braunfels Texas
14 August 2023 | New Braunfels
11 February 2023 | Turtle Grass Marina Calablash Bight Roatan Honduras
25 December 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
31 October 2022 | New Braunfels, Texas
07 August 2022 | Gruene New Braunfels Texas
13 June 2022 | Home in New Braunfels
16 April 2022 | The Reserve Marina Sapodilla Lagoon, Beilize
19 February 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
15 December 2021 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce, Guatemala
29 October 2021 | New Braunfels, Texaa
13 August 2021 | New Braunfels, Texas
30 May 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
17 March 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
14 December 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
28 September 2020 | New Braunfels, Texaa
10 June 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
19 May 2020 | The Reserve Marina in Sapodilla Lagoon in Belize

Saba, the Unspoiled Queen

10 February 2015 | Jolly Harbor, Antigua
Bert - Partly Cloudy 12 kn sw wind 81deg
In 1976 I worked in Saba to map the island. Although I had some life threatening experiences during this project I always had a very strong urge to go back to this island. Two years ago we were very close during our sail to St. Maarten and St. Eustatius, but the weather was too unsettled to moor safely and use the dinghy to go ashore. From all the islands I visited and worked on during my years in the Caribbean I have the strongest memories of Saba. I still remember every location in detail and even after all these years I can easily find any part of the island. This is not only because the island is very small, but mainly due to the fact that every location on this island has a surprise in scenery and beautiful views. Saba is not for the casual visitor; it is not only difficult to reach both by sea and by air, but there is hardly a flat piece of land on the entire island and the slopes are very steep or inaccessible. Saba looks like a fairytale picture of a forbidden land. A mere 5 sq/miles, but Mount Scenery reaches a lofty 2877 ft. and she is not the only mountain. Tall cliffs of red, pink and brown rise almost vertically from the sea. Houses sit perched in seemingly impossible positions on the edges of precipices. The south/east part of the island is dry with little vegetation and the slopes of Mount Scenery are a lush tropical rain forest. The top of Mount Scenery is always in the clouds or the clouds are just above it. It hardly happens that the cloud formation is gone, which makes it very difficult to make aerial photography of the island for mapping purposes, like it was my task to do back then, but we succeeded.

Until the early 1940’s Saba was nearly inaccessible. The only access point was called Ladder Bay. An 864 step ladder was cut in a cliff ending on top to a very steep road to the capital city called “The Bottom”. The extraordinary landing on the leeward shore provides scant shelter from the ocean swells in settled weather. The shore line is only a few feet wide and consists of gravel or large rock boulders and boats needed to be unloaded by men standing waist deep in the water and then everything needed to be carried up over the ladder. Nowadays Saba has a landing pier to load and offload cargo from roll-on roll-off ships, but tankers bringing fuel remain anchored offshore with the stern attached to a buoy and a hose is used to pump the fuel onshore. Saba also has an airstrip, but it is like landing on an aircraft carrier. Landings can only be made from the east going with the wind and when you sit on the right side of the aircraft you see no land until the aircraft hits the ground. I have done this several times and I never got used to it. Without any help from the Dutch the Saban people built a road from the airstrip up to the villages of “Hell’s Gate”, “Windwardside”, down to “The Bottom” and to the pier. Although I spent over 3 months on the island in 1976 and I love to drive, I have never driven a car myself on the island. When Dorothy and I intended to walk back from “The Bottom” to the pier after lunch we were very happy that a big truck offered us a lift, because the road is very steep and going down is difficult.

When I worked in Saba it had 999 inhabitants being descendants of Dutch, Scottish and English settlers along with slaves from Africa. The white people lived in “Hell’s Gate” and Windwardside” and the descendants of the African slaves in “The Bottom” and during the time I worked there they did not mingle. When I took my survey team on a Saturday evening out in “Windwardside”, the bar owner asked me to take my Surinamese team members back to “The Bottom”. Fortunately this kind of discrimination is a thing of the past and with the International medical school in “The Bottom” this is now quite a diversified town. The total amount of people living on the island is now over 2000 including 400 students of the medical school. This increase in population is very positive for Saba, especially the influx of younger people. The great thing is that the environment is not negatively influenced by the increase in population. The island is spotless, with villages consisting of whitewashed, green-trimmed, red-roofed cottages and other buildings. The streets are all very well paved mostly with concrete, low stonewalls and small stone churches. When you arrive in Saba the first surprise is the beauty of the island. From the sea it looks like a big rock, but high up the mountain and hills are lush green with spectacular views. The tourist office of Saba is very strongly promoting tourism and if you love to hike and/or dive this is the place to be.

However, Saba is not the easiest anchorage although it has now 8 mooring buoys on the leeside of the island. For bare-boat charters it is off limits and we did not want to stay with Island Girl for more than 2 nights. So we made a promise to ourselves to leave Island Girl in a marina in St. Maarten the next time and fly to Saba so we can enjoy this beautiful island to the fullest.
To cover the island in one day, we rented a taxi from George Wilson and asked him to show us the entire island. As a good business man he made us aware of the fact that the fare would be higher than the usual sightseeing tour but I was happy to tell him that I knew where to go and I would pay him extra for his service. So together we set our route over the island and I was so surprised to find all the places I remembered and most of them are nicer than they used to be. In “The Bottom” I still recognized the street layout except for all the new construction, but I hardly recognized the buildings, except for the hospital and the retirement center. Windwardside is now expanded with streets and houses off the main road but it looks natural, except that the very old cemetery is now surrounded by buildings. Of course we visited “The Ladder” and while George and Dorothy waited for me I went down The Ladder quite a way and I remembered every step of the first of many times I went up and down these very steep stairs later on to work along the coast. During my first reconnaissance trip in 1976 along the close vertical cliffs it started to rain causing loose rocks to come down on us and we had no head protection; even trying to walk in the water did not give us any relief since the falling stones ricocheted horizontally off the rocks and now hit us from the side. The road to the airstrip brings you first to “Hell’s Gate” which gives you a stunning view of this airstrip and you see that with cliffs on three sides it really looks like an aircraft landing strip but without the catapult and the catch lines. On a clear day like we had you can see St. Maarten, St. Bart, St. Eustatius and even St. Kitts. Compared to 1976 when the airport terminal was just a shed, the airstrip now has a very nice arrival and departure hall. Next to the airstrip is Cove Bay which currently has the only beach with a very nice snorkeling area. The only other bay with a beach is “Wells Bay” on the leeside of the island. However, this bay only has a beach in the summer. In the winter time the Atlantic swell takes all the sand away. In this bay we used a line between a fishing boat and the beach to pull a dinghy through the swell to bring men and equipment to shore. One time we counted the swells incorrectly and the dinghy could not “climb the mountain” of the breaking swell causing it to capsize with me and all our survey equipment in it. The rope came around my neck and the fisherman on his boat kept pulling on the rope. Fortunately I came loose but I nearly drowned. The next day the fisherman recovered our equipment, we cleaned it in a bathtub with fresh water and even our electronic distance measuring system still worked. This event was used by the manufacturer in an ad campaign for this equipment.

After a good night’s sleep we left Saba on our way to Antigua. I kept on looking over my shoulder to slowly see Saba disappear. We sailed along St. Eustatius and St. Kitts to the south side of St. Kitts where we anchored in “White House Bay”. We expected a slow sail into the wind and waves to Antigua and left the next day on Sunday at 2:00 AM to sail through “The Narrows”. This is a very narrow cut between St. Kitts and Nevis, very shallow with rocks and unlighted small islands. For bare-boat charters this cut is off limits but we made it through and on Sunday at 1 PM we arrived in “Jolly Harbor” in Antigua. We will report on this visit in our next blog.
Comments
Vessel Name: Island Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38
Hailing Port: Miami Beach, FL
Crew: Dorothy and Bert Dorrestyn
About:
Dorothy and Bert retired after 45 years in the work force. After many years of traveling all over the world we settled in The United States and lived in San Antonio, Mico all in Texas. [...]
Home Page: https://www.facebook.com/
Social:
Island Girl's Photos - Main
16 Photos
Created 21 February 2024
15 Photos
Created 16 November 2023
42 Photos
Created 14 August 2023
Our 2022 Trip from New Braunfels to Rio Dulce, Guatemala
14 Photos
Created 25 December 2022
13 Photos
Created 6 August 2022
31 Photos
Created 15 April 2022
17 Photos
Created 19 February 2022
32 Photos
Created 15 December 2021
27 Photos
Created 28 October 2021
14 Photos
Created 12 August 2021
20 Photos
Created 30 May 2021
25 Photos
Created 17 March 2021
5 Photos
Created 10 June 2020
16 Photos
Created 19 May 2020
29 Photos
Created 26 March 2020
18 Photos
Created 22 February 2020
21 Photos
Created 27 December 2019
19 Photos
Created 12 October 2019
The building of our new home
34 Photos
Created 12 August 2019
31 Photos
Created 8 May 2019
32 Photos
Created 26 February 2019
11 Photos
Created 10 December 2018
8 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 9 August 2018
23 Photos
Created 30 June 2018
32 Photos
Created 4 June 2018
26 Photos
Created 1 April 2018
50 Photos
Created 16 January 2018
14 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
71 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
26 Photos
Created 13 October 2017
16 Photos
Created 3 September 2017
Guatemala and Back to Texas in June 2017
37 Photos
Created 18 June 2017
32 Photos
Created 20 May 2017
26 Photos
Created 12 May 2017
Our Visit to Guanaja Honduras
34 Photos
Created 30 April 2017
Our visit to Isla San Andres Colombia in March 2017
38 Photos
Created 21 March 2017
37 Photos
Created 17 February 2017
37 Photos
Created 13 January 2017
67 Photos
Created 4 December 2016
37 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
32 Photos
Created 9 October 2016
12 Photos
Created 18 August 2016
2016 Visit to Texas
42 Photos
Created 28 June 2016
22 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
15 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
30 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
28 Photos
Created 23 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
38 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
31 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
21 Photos
Created 21 April 2016
29 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
43 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
24 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
30 Photos
Created 2 February 2016
26 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
17 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 January 2016
43 Photos
Created 18 December 2015
Our visit to Cartagena des Indias in November 2015
52 Photos
Created 25 November 2015
47 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
26 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
Visit to Bogota October 20 - 23 2015
53 Photos
Created 26 October 2015
39 Photos
Created 7 October 2015
Bonaire 2015
17 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Grenada 2015
20 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Trip from St. Lucia to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 23 June 2015
28 Photos
Created 29 May 2015
30 Photos
Created 14 May 2015
Dominica 2015
28 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
Les Saintes Guadeloupe
32 Photos
Created 20 April 2015
Leaving Antigua back to Guadeloupe
33 Photos
Created 30 March 2015
ntigua and Barbuda
28 Photos
Created 1 March 2015
Saba, the Unspoiled Queen
31 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
St. Croix to St. Maarten Simpson Bay
23 Photos
Created 11 January 2015
Farewell Bonaire and Hello St. Croix
28 Photos
Created 15 December 2014
36 Photos
Created 23 November 2014
Bonaire – Our First Month
39 Photos
Created 24 October 2014
22 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 August 2014
19 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
Sailing South from St Lucia to Grenada
38 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
Sailing South from Antigua to St. Lucia
22 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
Our visit to Antigua
41 Photos
Created 24 April 2014
Sailing North from Martinique to Antigua
26 Photos
Created 9 April 2014
Sailing North Trinidad to Martinique
11 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
Trinidad Land Trip and Haul-out
30 Photos
Created 13 March 2014
Trinidad Carnival
33 Photos
Created 11 March 2014
Trinidad a Lot of Work and Some Fun
39 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
Tobago
43 Photos
Created 6 February 2014
Farewell Suriname – Back to the Caribbean
44 Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Suriname - Back Home
47 Photos
Created 5 January 2014
Suriname - The Re-discovery Continued
34 Photos
Created 24 November 2013
Suriname - “A sentimental journey to renew old memories”
34 Photos
Created 2 November 2013
Bartica and Georgetown – Guyana
49 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
Guyana Essequibo River
18 Photos
Created 11 October 2013
Living in Grenada
31 Photos
Created 28 September 2013
A Roller Coaster Visit to the USA
45 Photos
Created 31 August 2013
Work and Fun in Grenada
30 Photos
Created 20 July 2013
Grenada 6/26/2013 - 7/8/2013
36 Photos
Created 8 July 2013
Moving fast to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 28 June 2013
St. Lucia
44 Photos
Created 16 June 2013
Martinique
42 Photos
Created 4 June 2013
St. Pierre - Martinique
49 Photos
Created 24 May 2013
Dominica
37 Photos
Created 16 May 2013
Marie Galante and The Saints
27 Photos
Created 7 May 2013
Guadeloupe Land Trips
43 Photos
Created 30 April 2013
Nevis, Montserrat, Guadeloupe
43 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
St. Christopher - St. Kitts
30 Photos
Created 13 April 2013
St. Eustatius
44 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
St. Barthelemy – St. Barth
33 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
St. Maarten - St. Martin
46 Photos
Created 26 March 2013
British Virgin Islands Continued
37 Photos
Created 15 March 2013
British Virgin Islands
25 Photos
Created 8 March 2013
St. John - US Virgin Islands
28 Photos
Created 2 March 2013
St. Thomas US Virgin Islands
26 Photos
Created 21 February 2013
Spanish Virgin Islands
32 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
41 Photos
Created 5 February 2013
24 Photos
Created 31 January 2013
Dominican Republic Land Trip
43 Photos
Created 16 January 2013
Luperon Dominican Republic
9 Photos
Created 5 January 2013
Turks and Caicos Sapodilla Bay
9 Photos
Created 30 December 2012
George Town Exumas
16 Photos
Created 24 December 2012
Preparations and departure
7 Photos
Created 7 December 2012
Bert and Dorothy Dorrestyn, The Crew of Island Girl
7 Photos
Created 20 October 2012
Haul-out
6 Photos
Created 13 October 2012