Sailing the Caribbean

17 November 2023 | New Braunfels Texas
14 August 2023 | New Braunfels
11 February 2023 | Turtle Grass Marina Calablash Bight Roatan Honduras
25 December 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
31 October 2022 | New Braunfels, Texas
07 August 2022 | Gruene New Braunfels Texas
13 June 2022 | Home in New Braunfels
16 April 2022 | The Reserve Marina Sapodilla Lagoon, Beilize
19 February 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
15 December 2021 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce, Guatemala
29 October 2021 | New Braunfels, Texaa
13 August 2021 | New Braunfels, Texas
30 May 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
17 March 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
14 December 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
28 September 2020 | New Braunfels, Texaa
10 June 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
19 May 2020 | The Reserve Marina in Sapodilla Lagoon in Belize

Les Saintes Guadeloupe

20 April 2015 | Les Saintes
Bert - Cloudy and some heavy Rain
Sometimes it is difficult to recall what the highlights are of an event, in our case the highlights of our retirement cruise with Island Girl. But we have no trouble to indicate our highlights. The first one was in the beginning of our trip on the east coast of the Dominican Republic when a Humpback Whale jumped 5 times around Island Girl and after that started slapping its flux on the water while we and the whale continued our journey. On Grand Anse in Terre-de-Haut on The Saintes we saw a Leatherback turtle laying her eggs and after she covered the eggs returned to the sea. The turtle was apparently not disturbed at all by all the spectators around her. However, 5 gendarmes and one wild life inspector made sure no one came too close to the animal. It was the most impressive sight I have ever seen and I was so excited when the turtle made it back to the ocean and swam away through the breaking seas not to return to land for at least 2 to 4 years.

If you look at the pictures or the video of the turtle you see that the beach is covered with sea grass. When we came close to St. Croix on our trip from Bonaire we suddenly saw a lot of sea grass in the sea and when we came in the bay with the harbor of Christiansted there was sea grass everywhere. We saw it again on our way to St. Maarten and any other crossings we made. All the windward beaches are covered with the sea grass that came to shore and made these beaches very unattractive. On The Saintes that is very dependent on day tourism coming over from Guadeloupe with the ferries the beaches are cleaned every day and the sea grass raked into piles that are getting taller and taller. Unfortunately the sea grass in these big piles starts rotting causing a bad smell. Of course the beaches that are not protected by reefs and are too dangerous for swimming and other watersports are not cleaned. It will take a long time before all the sea grass is gone on the beaches as well as at sea.

We stayed for over 3 weeks in Deshaies in Guadeloupe having a great time and we could have stayed a little longer. Our original plan was to leave directly after Easter, but we had found our favorite French Restaurant in Deshaies and we decided to celebrate our 35th Anniversary with a lunch at this restaurant. What a great decision that was, the lunch was super and we had a wonderful time. We spent our time in Guadeloupe doing our favorite things like visiting great places, doing fun things like diving, snorkeling, swimming or just being on the beach. I like to make easy hikes and although Dorothy is not a great fan of this activity she goes along and most of the time admits that it was fun to do. Besides renting a car we drove the bus quite a few times and although it was very confusing to find the correct bus and the departure times we made many bus trips especially to the largest city in Guadeloupe: Point-a-Pitre. This trip takes most of the time an hour to an hour and a half and it follows the west, north/west coastline with beautiful views over the sea and the mountains on the east side of the island of Basse-Terre. Point-a-Pitre is a wonderful historic town with many narrow streets with nice stores and restaurants and it is fun just to walk around. Although Dorothy and I are not great shopping fans we visited one day one of the largest malls in the Caribbean called “Destreland” and it is big! The anchor store is the supermarket from “Carrefour” and it has any food item you want to buy. The fact that the French Islands are part of France makes them more prosperous than the other islands in the Caribbean with a large middle class and that shows.

Of course we also needed to spend time on boat maintenance. Since our arrival in St. Croix we have had an exceptional sea growth on the bottom of Island Girl. Last year in Trinidad we took the boat out of the water and had the bottom painted which most of the time reduces the marine growth for at least 2 years. But since our arrival in St. Croix I have to clean the bottom every two weeks to keep the marine growth in check. Fortunately my son Robert gave me a Brownie Third Lung or also called Hookah System. This system is a compressor with hoses and regulators and allows you to dive up to 60 ft. deep. Since I never have to go deeper than 6 ft. cleaning the bottom of the boat I can stay underwater longer to clean one side in one dive. But together with the propeller and bow thruster it takes me a total of about 5 hours to get the job done.

On the Monday after our anniversary celebration we left Deshaies for The Saintes an island group just south of Guadeloupe. In total it is about a 35 miles trip mostly along the west coast of Guadeloupe. This makes this sail complicated since the wind along this coast line changes by the minute not only in strength but also in direction. Some people just give up using the sail and just motor sail until the south point of Basse-Terre. The forecast predicted nice easterly wind and we started with a small reef in the main sail and full genoa. But within 15 minutes we had 33 kn. wind and the remainder of the trip especially on the south side of Basse-Terre and the crossing to Les Saintes the wind did not lessen and the waves became larger and larger and one ran into the dodger and over the bimini. We worked hard to control the boat and reduced sails but Island Girl loved it and made 8.5 kn. speed which is 1 kn. over the theoretical hull speed of the boat.

We love The Saintes with nice mooring buoys close to town and the most beautiful views from one island to the other. The main island Terre-de-Haut has 7 beaches all except “Grand Anse” in relatively small secluded bays. From the dinghy dock it is a nice stiff walk to “The Bay Pompierre” that we consider the most beautiful one. All the others are a little further and due to the hilly terrain they are mostly an hour walk. So that is the reason most day tourists rent a scooter for about $35.00 a day and we did too. During our scooter ride we visited one of our favorite spots: Fort Napoleon. We mainly do this because of the very nice gardens around the fort and de magnificent views. We made a nice hike on “Ilet a Cabrit” to the remnants of “Fort Josephine”. Again not to see the fort but the views (see our pictures). We never visited the largest island of The Saintes called “Terre-de-Bas”. This is the only island in the east Caribbean that has large windmills for the production of electricity. So this time we took the ferry to visit this island and we had a great time. Unfortunately the largest beach again called “Grand Anse” is completely covered with sea grass, but the restaurant is great. We had a very delicious inexpensive lunch consisting of locally caught grilled fish. The hill in the center of the island “Morne Abymes” is close to 1000 ft. high and most of the roads although very narrow and steep are in good condition. However, the road through the center of the island has never been completely restored after the earthquake of 2004. We took a tour and the driver who is also the owner of the ferry took us with his very expensive Mercedes van to all the most beautiful locations with spectacular views and all the small bays and beaches for only $11.00 per person.

But it is time to move on and the next island we will visit is Dominica and we will report about our visit to this island in our next blog.
Comments
Vessel Name: Island Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38
Hailing Port: Miami Beach, FL
Crew: Dorothy and Bert Dorrestyn
About:
Dorothy and Bert retired after 45 years in the work force. After many years of traveling all over the world we settled in The United States and lived in San Antonio, Mico all in Texas. [...]
Home Page: https://www.facebook.com/
Social:
Island Girl's Photos - Main
16 Photos
Created 21 February 2024
15 Photos
Created 16 November 2023
42 Photos
Created 14 August 2023
Our 2022 Trip from New Braunfels to Rio Dulce, Guatemala
14 Photos
Created 25 December 2022
13 Photos
Created 6 August 2022
31 Photos
Created 15 April 2022
17 Photos
Created 19 February 2022
32 Photos
Created 15 December 2021
27 Photos
Created 28 October 2021
14 Photos
Created 12 August 2021
20 Photos
Created 30 May 2021
25 Photos
Created 17 March 2021
5 Photos
Created 10 June 2020
16 Photos
Created 19 May 2020
29 Photos
Created 26 March 2020
18 Photos
Created 22 February 2020
21 Photos
Created 27 December 2019
19 Photos
Created 12 October 2019
The building of our new home
34 Photos
Created 12 August 2019
31 Photos
Created 8 May 2019
32 Photos
Created 26 February 2019
11 Photos
Created 10 December 2018
8 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 9 August 2018
23 Photos
Created 30 June 2018
32 Photos
Created 4 June 2018
26 Photos
Created 1 April 2018
50 Photos
Created 16 January 2018
14 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
71 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
26 Photos
Created 13 October 2017
16 Photos
Created 3 September 2017
Guatemala and Back to Texas in June 2017
37 Photos
Created 18 June 2017
32 Photos
Created 20 May 2017
26 Photos
Created 12 May 2017
Our Visit to Guanaja Honduras
34 Photos
Created 30 April 2017
Our visit to Isla San Andres Colombia in March 2017
38 Photos
Created 21 March 2017
37 Photos
Created 17 February 2017
37 Photos
Created 13 January 2017
67 Photos
Created 4 December 2016
37 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
32 Photos
Created 9 October 2016
12 Photos
Created 18 August 2016
2016 Visit to Texas
42 Photos
Created 28 June 2016
22 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
15 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
30 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
28 Photos
Created 23 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
38 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
31 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
21 Photos
Created 21 April 2016
29 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
43 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
24 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
30 Photos
Created 2 February 2016
26 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
17 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 January 2016
43 Photos
Created 18 December 2015
Our visit to Cartagena des Indias in November 2015
52 Photos
Created 25 November 2015
47 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
26 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
Visit to Bogota October 20 - 23 2015
53 Photos
Created 26 October 2015
39 Photos
Created 7 October 2015
Bonaire 2015
17 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Grenada 2015
20 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Trip from St. Lucia to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 23 June 2015
28 Photos
Created 29 May 2015
30 Photos
Created 14 May 2015
Dominica 2015
28 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
Les Saintes Guadeloupe
32 Photos
Created 20 April 2015
Leaving Antigua back to Guadeloupe
33 Photos
Created 30 March 2015
ntigua and Barbuda
28 Photos
Created 1 March 2015
Saba, the Unspoiled Queen
31 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
St. Croix to St. Maarten Simpson Bay
23 Photos
Created 11 January 2015
Farewell Bonaire and Hello St. Croix
28 Photos
Created 15 December 2014
36 Photos
Created 23 November 2014
Bonaire – Our First Month
39 Photos
Created 24 October 2014
22 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 August 2014
19 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
Sailing South from St Lucia to Grenada
38 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
Sailing South from Antigua to St. Lucia
22 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
Our visit to Antigua
41 Photos
Created 24 April 2014
Sailing North from Martinique to Antigua
26 Photos
Created 9 April 2014
Sailing North Trinidad to Martinique
11 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
Trinidad Land Trip and Haul-out
30 Photos
Created 13 March 2014
Trinidad Carnival
33 Photos
Created 11 March 2014
Trinidad a Lot of Work and Some Fun
39 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
Tobago
43 Photos
Created 6 February 2014
Farewell Suriname – Back to the Caribbean
44 Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Suriname - Back Home
47 Photos
Created 5 January 2014
Suriname - The Re-discovery Continued
34 Photos
Created 24 November 2013
Suriname - “A sentimental journey to renew old memories”
34 Photos
Created 2 November 2013
Bartica and Georgetown – Guyana
49 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
Guyana Essequibo River
18 Photos
Created 11 October 2013
Living in Grenada
31 Photos
Created 28 September 2013
A Roller Coaster Visit to the USA
45 Photos
Created 31 August 2013
Work and Fun in Grenada
30 Photos
Created 20 July 2013
Grenada 6/26/2013 - 7/8/2013
36 Photos
Created 8 July 2013
Moving fast to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 28 June 2013
St. Lucia
44 Photos
Created 16 June 2013
Martinique
42 Photos
Created 4 June 2013
St. Pierre - Martinique
49 Photos
Created 24 May 2013
Dominica
37 Photos
Created 16 May 2013
Marie Galante and The Saints
27 Photos
Created 7 May 2013
Guadeloupe Land Trips
43 Photos
Created 30 April 2013
Nevis, Montserrat, Guadeloupe
43 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
St. Christopher - St. Kitts
30 Photos
Created 13 April 2013
St. Eustatius
44 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
St. Barthelemy – St. Barth
33 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
St. Maarten - St. Martin
46 Photos
Created 26 March 2013
British Virgin Islands Continued
37 Photos
Created 15 March 2013
British Virgin Islands
25 Photos
Created 8 March 2013
St. John - US Virgin Islands
28 Photos
Created 2 March 2013
St. Thomas US Virgin Islands
26 Photos
Created 21 February 2013
Spanish Virgin Islands
32 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
41 Photos
Created 5 February 2013
24 Photos
Created 31 January 2013
Dominican Republic Land Trip
43 Photos
Created 16 January 2013
Luperon Dominican Republic
9 Photos
Created 5 January 2013
Turks and Caicos Sapodilla Bay
9 Photos
Created 30 December 2012
George Town Exumas
16 Photos
Created 24 December 2012
Preparations and departure
7 Photos
Created 7 December 2012
Bert and Dorothy Dorrestyn, The Crew of Island Girl
7 Photos
Created 20 October 2012
Haul-out
6 Photos
Created 13 October 2012