Sailing the Caribbean

17 November 2023 | New Braunfels Texas
14 August 2023 | New Braunfels
11 February 2023 | Turtle Grass Marina Calablash Bight Roatan Honduras
25 December 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
31 October 2022 | New Braunfels, Texas
07 August 2022 | Gruene New Braunfels Texas
13 June 2022 | Home in New Braunfels
16 April 2022 | The Reserve Marina Sapodilla Lagoon, Beilize
19 February 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
15 December 2021 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce, Guatemala
29 October 2021 | New Braunfels, Texaa
13 August 2021 | New Braunfels, Texas
30 May 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
17 March 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
14 December 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
28 September 2020 | New Braunfels, Texaa
10 June 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
19 May 2020 | The Reserve Marina in Sapodilla Lagoon in Belize

Bonaire the Friendly Island

24 September 2015 | Spanish Water Curacao
Bert - Partly Cloudy 22 kn South/East Trade Wind
We have expressed it before and many times, we love Bonaire. The people of Bonaire are so friendly everywhere you go they greet you and are ready to start a conversation. Although small and dry the island has a natural beauty and wealth that not too many places can match. The underwater world with its coral and beautiful sea creatures is unsurpassed. The diversity of the landscape is surprising.

The southern half is dominated by salt flats, wetlands and mangroves. Most of the land area is used for solar evaporation of sea water to obtain salt. The large salt “dunes” you can see from a distance and the pink colored salt pans are striking. Some of the old slave houses on the west coast along the road to the south point of the island are restored. Along this road after it turns to the east and back north you get a good view of the pink flamingoes. The east coast line is rugged with steep cliffs and a pounding sea against the rocks. Not a place to be with a boat with problems. This rugged coast line is interrupted with a beautiful bay called “Lac Bay” protected by a reef. Lac Bay is interesting for bird watching with mangroves and wet areas that are home to many permanent and migrating births. The mangroves not only protect the coast line in storms it is also the breeding place for fish. Dorothy and I took a kayak and snorkeling tour through the mangroves and that was a beautiful experience. Paddling through the channels under the low hanging mangrove trees with no sound except the sound of the paddles in the water is a very special experience. On the south side of “Lac Bay” is the world famous area for wind surfing with a few beach bars that make you feel young and wild again. Drink beer and listen to the music from Jimmy Buffet and the Eagles.

The northern part of the island is a Wild West desert landscape especially the north/east part. The north/east part along the coast with its limestone cliffs and caves remind me so much of the Texas Hill Country where we lived for 25 years and in this area you find the small green and yellow parrots. Goto Lake a relative large shallow lake that again is home to a large flock of flamingoes after most of them left the area after the large petrochemical fire in the oil storage facility next door. Slagbaai Park is a 140 acres nature sanctuary located in the Northwest part of the island. Parrots, flamingoes, parakeets, iguanas and many other species of birds and reptiles can be found in this reserve. The beaches inside the park are an important nesting ground for all four species of sea turtles found in the Caribbean.

One of the most beautiful beaches of Bonaire lies about 2700 ft. off the west coast of Bonaire on a the little uninhabited island called “Klein Bonaire – Little Bonaire”. After all the goats that were destroying the islands vegetation were removed the island is recovering and a tree planting program is helping a lot. Several water taxies ferry people from and to the island which is surrounded by clear turquoise water. The dive locations around this island are my most favorite dive locations.

The most favorite dive location for Ned & Anna DeLoach who are beloved naturalists, underwater photographers and videographers is “Eighteen Palms”. Ned & Anna DeLoach are known far and wide for their New World Publications, that along with author and photographer Paul Humann has produced the Reef Set marine-life field guides, including Reef Fish Identification, Reef Creature Identification and Reef Coral Identification — Florida, Caribbean and Bahamas. Over the past two decades Ned DeLoach and Humann have co-authored 10 field guides, and co-founded the Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF). Over the years Ned and Anna have written a series of columns about marine life for dive-related magazines in the United States and Asia, currently including the monthly "Critter Hunt" for Scuba Diving and "Species" for Sport Diver. It was great to have this couple join most of our afternoon dives. They claim that “Eighteen Palms” is the most diverse coral and reef fish location in Bonaire. I dove 3 times with them in the group in this location and it was incredible.

Although I am still working on improving my diving skills, I wanted to have a digital underwater camera. But of course not one of these expensive ones especially made for diving. At the advice of my grandson Jack I purchased a “GoPro Hero” with all kinds of attachments to clip it onto anything and a head strap. I made some nice videos using the camera with a strap to my wrist. One day I used the head strap to make a continuous video. Half way during the dive I realized that my camera was gone and I was very disappointed that I lost this nice camera so soon after I purchased it. When I came back on board of the dive boat and I told the other divers about it, the captain came to me with my camera and said that he saw it drifting in the water due to the nice orange floater attached to the headset. Probably the floater lifted it from my head, allowing the captain to find it again. The pictures I took with the camera are not too great, but the videos start to look good.

So that is what we did in Bonaire in the close to 3 weeks we spent on this island. I dove while Dorothy was snorkeling. We crossed the island on our rented scooter including our shopping tours to the grocery store with all the nice and tasty Dutch food items like “Raw Herring with onions”. We purchased more of these special food items until Dorothy complained that the refrigerator was filled to the rim. In other words I did not buy what we needed, but what I liked. That is of course de credo of being retired; you do what you like not necessarily what you have to do. We kayaked like I described above, met our friends and spent time in our famous beach bar “Karel’s”. We also checked out available homes for sale and/or long term lease. We love Bonaire and we can envision that after our sailing days are over we might spend more time on this great island.

But we have a plan to sail to Colombia and Panama and that means we have to move on. So on Sunday September 20 we left early in the morning to Curacao. After a sail I always check very carefully if there are problems with any of the equipment on board including the rigging and the sails. Unfortunately I did not notice the problem with the longest batten of our main sail. Probably due to the heavy rolling during the trip from Grenada to Bonaire the sail was flogging a lot causing the batten to come out of its pocket making a hole in pocket and the batten stick out so we could not use the full sail. Therefore we had to make the crossing to Curacao with a very big reef in the sail. Fortunately the wind was good so with this reef we had a very comfortable sail. The anchoring in Spanish Water was a little difficult due to the fact that only limited space was available and with the strong wind it took some time to get the anchor to hold.

We are intending to stay in Curacao for about 2 weeks and we will report about this in our next blog.
Comments
Vessel Name: Island Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38
Hailing Port: Miami Beach, FL
Crew: Dorothy and Bert Dorrestyn
About:
Dorothy and Bert retired after 45 years in the work force. After many years of traveling all over the world we settled in The United States and lived in San Antonio, Mico all in Texas. [...]
Home Page: https://www.facebook.com/
Social:
Island Girl's Photos - Main
16 Photos
Created 21 February 2024
15 Photos
Created 16 November 2023
42 Photos
Created 14 August 2023
Our 2022 Trip from New Braunfels to Rio Dulce, Guatemala
14 Photos
Created 25 December 2022
13 Photos
Created 6 August 2022
31 Photos
Created 15 April 2022
17 Photos
Created 19 February 2022
32 Photos
Created 15 December 2021
27 Photos
Created 28 October 2021
14 Photos
Created 12 August 2021
20 Photos
Created 30 May 2021
25 Photos
Created 17 March 2021
5 Photos
Created 10 June 2020
16 Photos
Created 19 May 2020
29 Photos
Created 26 March 2020
18 Photos
Created 22 February 2020
21 Photos
Created 27 December 2019
19 Photos
Created 12 October 2019
The building of our new home
34 Photos
Created 12 August 2019
31 Photos
Created 8 May 2019
32 Photos
Created 26 February 2019
11 Photos
Created 10 December 2018
8 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 9 August 2018
23 Photos
Created 30 June 2018
32 Photos
Created 4 June 2018
26 Photos
Created 1 April 2018
50 Photos
Created 16 January 2018
14 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
71 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
26 Photos
Created 13 October 2017
16 Photos
Created 3 September 2017
Guatemala and Back to Texas in June 2017
37 Photos
Created 18 June 2017
32 Photos
Created 20 May 2017
26 Photos
Created 12 May 2017
Our Visit to Guanaja Honduras
34 Photos
Created 30 April 2017
Our visit to Isla San Andres Colombia in March 2017
38 Photos
Created 21 March 2017
37 Photos
Created 17 February 2017
37 Photos
Created 13 January 2017
67 Photos
Created 4 December 2016
37 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
32 Photos
Created 9 October 2016
12 Photos
Created 18 August 2016
2016 Visit to Texas
42 Photos
Created 28 June 2016
22 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
15 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
30 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
28 Photos
Created 23 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
38 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
31 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
21 Photos
Created 21 April 2016
29 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
43 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
24 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
30 Photos
Created 2 February 2016
26 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
17 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 January 2016
43 Photos
Created 18 December 2015
Our visit to Cartagena des Indias in November 2015
52 Photos
Created 25 November 2015
47 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
26 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
Visit to Bogota October 20 - 23 2015
53 Photos
Created 26 October 2015
39 Photos
Created 7 October 2015
Bonaire 2015
17 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Grenada 2015
20 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Trip from St. Lucia to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 23 June 2015
28 Photos
Created 29 May 2015
30 Photos
Created 14 May 2015
Dominica 2015
28 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
Les Saintes Guadeloupe
32 Photos
Created 20 April 2015
Leaving Antigua back to Guadeloupe
33 Photos
Created 30 March 2015
ntigua and Barbuda
28 Photos
Created 1 March 2015
Saba, the Unspoiled Queen
31 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
St. Croix to St. Maarten Simpson Bay
23 Photos
Created 11 January 2015
Farewell Bonaire and Hello St. Croix
28 Photos
Created 15 December 2014
36 Photos
Created 23 November 2014
Bonaire – Our First Month
39 Photos
Created 24 October 2014
22 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 August 2014
19 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
Sailing South from St Lucia to Grenada
38 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
Sailing South from Antigua to St. Lucia
22 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
Our visit to Antigua
41 Photos
Created 24 April 2014
Sailing North from Martinique to Antigua
26 Photos
Created 9 April 2014
Sailing North Trinidad to Martinique
11 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
Trinidad Land Trip and Haul-out
30 Photos
Created 13 March 2014
Trinidad Carnival
33 Photos
Created 11 March 2014
Trinidad a Lot of Work and Some Fun
39 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
Tobago
43 Photos
Created 6 February 2014
Farewell Suriname – Back to the Caribbean
44 Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Suriname - Back Home
47 Photos
Created 5 January 2014
Suriname - The Re-discovery Continued
34 Photos
Created 24 November 2013
Suriname - “A sentimental journey to renew old memories”
34 Photos
Created 2 November 2013
Bartica and Georgetown – Guyana
49 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
Guyana Essequibo River
18 Photos
Created 11 October 2013
Living in Grenada
31 Photos
Created 28 September 2013
A Roller Coaster Visit to the USA
45 Photos
Created 31 August 2013
Work and Fun in Grenada
30 Photos
Created 20 July 2013
Grenada 6/26/2013 - 7/8/2013
36 Photos
Created 8 July 2013
Moving fast to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 28 June 2013
St. Lucia
44 Photos
Created 16 June 2013
Martinique
42 Photos
Created 4 June 2013
St. Pierre - Martinique
49 Photos
Created 24 May 2013
Dominica
37 Photos
Created 16 May 2013
Marie Galante and The Saints
27 Photos
Created 7 May 2013
Guadeloupe Land Trips
43 Photos
Created 30 April 2013
Nevis, Montserrat, Guadeloupe
43 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
St. Christopher - St. Kitts
30 Photos
Created 13 April 2013
St. Eustatius
44 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
St. Barthelemy – St. Barth
33 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
St. Maarten - St. Martin
46 Photos
Created 26 March 2013
British Virgin Islands Continued
37 Photos
Created 15 March 2013
British Virgin Islands
25 Photos
Created 8 March 2013
St. John - US Virgin Islands
28 Photos
Created 2 March 2013
St. Thomas US Virgin Islands
26 Photos
Created 21 February 2013
Spanish Virgin Islands
32 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
41 Photos
Created 5 February 2013
24 Photos
Created 31 January 2013
Dominican Republic Land Trip
43 Photos
Created 16 January 2013
Luperon Dominican Republic
9 Photos
Created 5 January 2013
Turks and Caicos Sapodilla Bay
9 Photos
Created 30 December 2012
George Town Exumas
16 Photos
Created 24 December 2012
Preparations and departure
7 Photos
Created 7 December 2012
Bert and Dorothy Dorrestyn, The Crew of Island Girl
7 Photos
Created 20 October 2012
Haul-out
6 Photos
Created 13 October 2012