Sailing the Caribbean

17 November 2023 | New Braunfels Texas
14 August 2023 | New Braunfels
11 February 2023 | Turtle Grass Marina Calablash Bight Roatan Honduras
25 December 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
31 October 2022 | New Braunfels, Texas
07 August 2022 | Gruene New Braunfels Texas
13 June 2022 | Home in New Braunfels
16 April 2022 | The Reserve Marina Sapodilla Lagoon, Beilize
19 February 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
15 December 2021 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce, Guatemala
29 October 2021 | New Braunfels, Texaa
13 August 2021 | New Braunfels, Texas
30 May 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
17 March 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
14 December 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
28 September 2020 | New Braunfels, Texaa
10 June 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
19 May 2020 | The Reserve Marina in Sapodilla Lagoon in Belize

Sapzurro on the Border with Panama

28 March 2016 | Sapzurro Colombia
Bert - Partly Clouded 17 kn North/East Trade Wind
We arrived on Monday March 21, 2016 after an overnight sail from the Islas San Bernardo in Sapzurro. This is a small village on the border with Panama. However, there are no roads to Panama or anywhere. Sapzurro has no road connection and as a consequence there are no cars or any motorist transportation in Sapzurro. Not that it is necessary, the town is very small and the entire bay front is about 1 mile long. The town is completely dependent on the regular visits from the trade boats and if the last item is used it will be not available until the next trade boat arrives. The goods are transported into town from the boat using a wheelbarrow. Sapzurro has no internet and a very spotty phone connection with the outer world. We intended to spend only 2 to 3 days in Sapzurro to wait until the heavy swell caused by the bad weather in the central Caribbean and off the coast of Colombia in the Santa Marta and Barranquilla areas. But I wanted to get some more fuel and on my way to the fuel dock I hit a rock and damaged my dinghy propeller. There was no diesel fuel available and also no new propeller. But the trade boat called “Puerto Acandi II” with its home port of Turbo was on its way and it would bring new supplies. The prediction when “Puerto Acandi II” would arrive was not very accurate so we made a daily trip to the fuel dock to hear the latest ETA.

It was the week before “Easter” which is in South America the “Holy Week” and most businesses and schools are closed and people take vacation. This was clear in Sapzurro; every little hostel and camp ground was full of people and tents were placed everywhere. Boats were going up and down to pick up the day tourists and we found out that many of them come from Medellin. On “Good Friday” a lot of the people who were staying the entire week left and most of the camp grounds became empty, but it was the top day for day tourists and at lunch time there were lines in front of the best restaurants. The popular beaches were full of people except the beach where the sailing boats are anchored. Since the town dock has a lot of swell and a lot of boats with day tourists are coming and going we beached our dinghy in the anchorage corner where it is most protected from the swell that is getting into the bay.

The bay has at the entrance on one side high cliffs and reefs on the other and with the high swells and surf this week it was spectacular to see the waves pounding and crashing on the rocks and reefs. The swell is still rolling into the bay and every boat both on anchor or mooring has a line going to shore to keep the boat with the nose into the swell. With these swell boats cannot moor along the fuel dock. All the boats with outboard engines give the tank fast to the dock attendant and while the boat stays off the dock with the fuel in the line the attendant fills the tank and hands it off to the waiting boat. So we were very interested how “Puerto Acandi II” would offload the fuel to the fuel dock. There is no hose or pump to bring the fuel from “Puerto Acandi II” to the tanks onshore. So this is how it goes: “Puerto Acandi II” anchors as close as possible to the fuel dock, the crew dives in the water and swims with lines to shore. The fuel dock helpers roll barrels to the dock and are waiting for a small boat to ferry them up and down to “Puerto Acandi II”. But the small boats are busy with day tourists so the crew throws the barrels from the fuel dock in the water and the helpers swim with the barrels to “Puerto Acandi II”. All the barrels get filled with fuel and thrown back in the water and helpers swim these to the beach. With a dolly every barrel is brought close to the tanks and a small motor pump empties the barrels into the tanks. The rest of the trade is offloaded on the town dock which has less swell and its slips are in the direction of the incoming swell. So we got our fuel and “Island Girl” is ready to sail the “San Blas” islands.

Since we beached our dinghy on the southern side of the bay we had to walk a large part of the shoreline to town passing all the camp grounds, restaurants and hostels. In town the alleys have mostly a narrow concrete walk way but the rest of the bay only has trails or you walk on the beach. To check on the fuel status before “Puerto Acandi II” arrived we had to walk all the way to the other side of the bay. In other words we had every day a nice interesting walk along the bay enjoying the scenery and the people. One day we continued along the coastline north/west in the direction of Panama to a beautiful beach called “Cabo Tiburon”. It is a somewhat secluded beach, but a restaurant makes it a very attractive place to spend the day. The hike over the cliffs and beaches to this location is very beautiful and on places where the swell hits the rocks and the reefs it is very impressive.

In this post I talk a lot about the heavy swell and if you look at the map of the Caribbean and realize that during the winter months from November until April the Trade winds blow from the north/east which means that all the water gets pushed into the corner of the Caribbean and the swell gets bounced off the very rugged coast line of Colombia creating this very high swell.

Besides waiting for a weather window to continue our trip to the “San Blas” islands we wanted to buy some more fuel and to complete some business in relation to our planned purchase of a condo in Santa Marta. But no internet is available and the data use on the phone is very slow to impossible during the day due to all the day tourists. The only good communication is using “WhatsApp”. So we sent instructions using “WhatsApp” to my daughter in Texas and she tried during her normal working hours to take care of our business for which we are extremely grateful. But at least we have some communication; as soon as we leave here there will be no communication at all, besides the expensive Satellite Phone and radio.
Comments
Vessel Name: Island Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38
Hailing Port: Miami Beach, FL
Crew: Dorothy and Bert Dorrestyn
About:
Dorothy and Bert retired after 45 years in the work force. After many years of traveling all over the world we settled in The United States and lived in San Antonio, Mico all in Texas. [...]
Home Page: https://www.facebook.com/
Social:
Island Girl's Photos - Main
16 Photos
Created 21 February 2024
15 Photos
Created 16 November 2023
42 Photos
Created 14 August 2023
Our 2022 Trip from New Braunfels to Rio Dulce, Guatemala
14 Photos
Created 25 December 2022
13 Photos
Created 6 August 2022
31 Photos
Created 15 April 2022
17 Photos
Created 19 February 2022
32 Photos
Created 15 December 2021
27 Photos
Created 28 October 2021
14 Photos
Created 12 August 2021
20 Photos
Created 30 May 2021
25 Photos
Created 17 March 2021
5 Photos
Created 10 June 2020
16 Photos
Created 19 May 2020
29 Photos
Created 26 March 2020
18 Photos
Created 22 February 2020
21 Photos
Created 27 December 2019
19 Photos
Created 12 October 2019
The building of our new home
34 Photos
Created 12 August 2019
31 Photos
Created 8 May 2019
32 Photos
Created 26 February 2019
11 Photos
Created 10 December 2018
8 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 9 August 2018
23 Photos
Created 30 June 2018
32 Photos
Created 4 June 2018
26 Photos
Created 1 April 2018
50 Photos
Created 16 January 2018
14 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
71 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
26 Photos
Created 13 October 2017
16 Photos
Created 3 September 2017
Guatemala and Back to Texas in June 2017
37 Photos
Created 18 June 2017
32 Photos
Created 20 May 2017
26 Photos
Created 12 May 2017
Our Visit to Guanaja Honduras
34 Photos
Created 30 April 2017
Our visit to Isla San Andres Colombia in March 2017
38 Photos
Created 21 March 2017
37 Photos
Created 17 February 2017
37 Photos
Created 13 January 2017
67 Photos
Created 4 December 2016
37 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
32 Photos
Created 9 October 2016
12 Photos
Created 18 August 2016
2016 Visit to Texas
42 Photos
Created 28 June 2016
22 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
15 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
30 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
28 Photos
Created 23 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
38 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
31 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
21 Photos
Created 21 April 2016
29 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
43 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
24 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
30 Photos
Created 2 February 2016
26 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
17 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 January 2016
43 Photos
Created 18 December 2015
Our visit to Cartagena des Indias in November 2015
52 Photos
Created 25 November 2015
47 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
26 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
Visit to Bogota October 20 - 23 2015
53 Photos
Created 26 October 2015
39 Photos
Created 7 October 2015
Bonaire 2015
17 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Grenada 2015
20 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Trip from St. Lucia to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 23 June 2015
28 Photos
Created 29 May 2015
30 Photos
Created 14 May 2015
Dominica 2015
28 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
Les Saintes Guadeloupe
32 Photos
Created 20 April 2015
Leaving Antigua back to Guadeloupe
33 Photos
Created 30 March 2015
ntigua and Barbuda
28 Photos
Created 1 March 2015
Saba, the Unspoiled Queen
31 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
St. Croix to St. Maarten Simpson Bay
23 Photos
Created 11 January 2015
Farewell Bonaire and Hello St. Croix
28 Photos
Created 15 December 2014
36 Photos
Created 23 November 2014
Bonaire – Our First Month
39 Photos
Created 24 October 2014
22 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 August 2014
19 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
Sailing South from St Lucia to Grenada
38 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
Sailing South from Antigua to St. Lucia
22 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
Our visit to Antigua
41 Photos
Created 24 April 2014
Sailing North from Martinique to Antigua
26 Photos
Created 9 April 2014
Sailing North Trinidad to Martinique
11 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
Trinidad Land Trip and Haul-out
30 Photos
Created 13 March 2014
Trinidad Carnival
33 Photos
Created 11 March 2014
Trinidad a Lot of Work and Some Fun
39 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
Tobago
43 Photos
Created 6 February 2014
Farewell Suriname – Back to the Caribbean
44 Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Suriname - Back Home
47 Photos
Created 5 January 2014
Suriname - The Re-discovery Continued
34 Photos
Created 24 November 2013
Suriname - “A sentimental journey to renew old memories”
34 Photos
Created 2 November 2013
Bartica and Georgetown – Guyana
49 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
Guyana Essequibo River
18 Photos
Created 11 October 2013
Living in Grenada
31 Photos
Created 28 September 2013
A Roller Coaster Visit to the USA
45 Photos
Created 31 August 2013
Work and Fun in Grenada
30 Photos
Created 20 July 2013
Grenada 6/26/2013 - 7/8/2013
36 Photos
Created 8 July 2013
Moving fast to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 28 June 2013
St. Lucia
44 Photos
Created 16 June 2013
Martinique
42 Photos
Created 4 June 2013
St. Pierre - Martinique
49 Photos
Created 24 May 2013
Dominica
37 Photos
Created 16 May 2013
Marie Galante and The Saints
27 Photos
Created 7 May 2013
Guadeloupe Land Trips
43 Photos
Created 30 April 2013
Nevis, Montserrat, Guadeloupe
43 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
St. Christopher - St. Kitts
30 Photos
Created 13 April 2013
St. Eustatius
44 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
St. Barthelemy – St. Barth
33 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
St. Maarten - St. Martin
46 Photos
Created 26 March 2013
British Virgin Islands Continued
37 Photos
Created 15 March 2013
British Virgin Islands
25 Photos
Created 8 March 2013
St. John - US Virgin Islands
28 Photos
Created 2 March 2013
St. Thomas US Virgin Islands
26 Photos
Created 21 February 2013
Spanish Virgin Islands
32 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
41 Photos
Created 5 February 2013
24 Photos
Created 31 January 2013
Dominican Republic Land Trip
43 Photos
Created 16 January 2013
Luperon Dominican Republic
9 Photos
Created 5 January 2013
Turks and Caicos Sapodilla Bay
9 Photos
Created 30 December 2012
George Town Exumas
16 Photos
Created 24 December 2012
Preparations and departure
7 Photos
Created 7 December 2012
Bert and Dorothy Dorrestyn, The Crew of Island Girl
7 Photos
Created 20 October 2012
Haul-out
6 Photos
Created 13 October 2012