S/V ISLAND SIREN

24 December 2008
11 October 2008 | Trellsi Bay
30 August 2008
19 July 2008
10 July 2008
11 June 2008
23 May 2008
12 May 2008 | BVI
05 May 2008
28 April 2008
24 April 2008
17 April 2008
04 April 2008
27 March 2008
23 March 2008
17 March 2008
13 March 2008
10 March 2008
08 March 2008

passed the peak

11 October 2008 | Trellsi Bay
Guess it is time to update everyone. When last I wrote, we were just getting into Trellis Bay, well we have been here for 6 weeks now (boy time flies). Our first couple of weeks here were slow as I was doing the training at the airport but we are now enjoying it more. Not much has changed in our daily lives but a lot has happen that is changing or life as a whole. We have made lots of new friends as there is a small live aboard community here in Trellis Bay. Everyone pulls together and helps out when needed. The local hang out is the Loose Mongoose where, like back in GeorgeTown Bahamas, everyone meets in the afternoon. Not as many people and not as much activity as G.T. but still a good place to be. Cate has been going ashore more and has met a few local kids, but like in G.T. she enjoys being around the adults too. Even Shelbe has gotten in the route of going ashore and stands at the companion way and barks then runs to the boarding ladder and looks at the dinghy around 3:30 in the afternoon. We don't have US phone service here or TV but that is not so bad. The internet is good and we can call the states on skype when needed. We have even bought a car! Kim saw it sitting on the side of the road one day and it was a good deal and ran good. I did have to fix a few things but knew that when we got it and now it is doing great. Sharleen is keeping us busy at DDM and is talked about projects for next year. Looks like we have passed the peak of Hurricane season so let's hope our luck holds. We picked up our friends Jim and Amanda off Adventure Bound at the airport last Sunday and they will be running a 58ft catamaran charter boat for the coming season. It is nice to have them back on island. Our new friends Kim and Carry had their dinghy stolen, but then it is a 14ft with a 50 hp outboard and center console and they left it unlock at the dock overnight. The good thing is it was recovered a few days later, that would never happen in Florida. Last Monday this place was crazy, the Moorings (charter company) had their interline regatta this last week and all the boats came to Trellis Bay for the kick off. I left to go to DDM in the morning and everything was as normal, when I returned around 3:00 the place was packed with some moorings having 3 boats rafted together on it. All the locals say it gets worst for New Years can't wait (oh boy). But at least we get to watch the mooring ball races again and now there is a twist as there is a bar (shallow area) here in the bay and we have already seen one boat come to a sudden stop when they hit it. Simon who runs the Loose Mongoose pointed to the boat and started counting down to when they would hit, of course he has seen enough of them that he had it right on the money. This morning Kim and I were sitting here and the boat started to vibrate. She said what is that? I thought at first it was someone starting an engine near us as it felt like that low frequency vibration. Then I realized and told her that could be an earthquake. Sure enough, later we found out there was a 6.2 not too far away. There are lots of little quakes here coming from the Puerto Rico trench just off shore. But to feel it the way we did was strange. But then we are only in 10 ft of water. Kim's big 40 birthday is the 14th and happens to fall on a full moon, so we will celebrate it at the Trellis Bay full moon party. So don't call early on the 15th, oh yeah we don't have US phone service here, never mind. Other than that, not much else new here in paradise.
Vessel Name: Island Siren
Vessel Make/Model: 1976 Vagabond 47
Hailing Port: Key Largo, Florida
Crew: Ron
About: Ron is a retired Firefighter/Flightmedic with Miami Dade County Fire Rescue.
Extra: more information at: